8 replies to this topic

#1 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:44 AM

Fellas,

I won one of Slotblog's own dc-65x's eBay auction a few weeks ago and in it was a really cool-looking painted 1/32 Mecom Lola. The auction mentioned something about it being in Bill Sippel's estate but I'm not really knowledgeable about all that, maybe Rick could fill us in on the details....

Anyway, the body is really nice and I finally got round to building a finished car with it.

The chassis is a Dynamic endbell-drive 16D rear motor mount. I made sure to get the guide tongue measured just right and chopped it down with my mini mitre box and hand saw that I've had since high school architecture class. Wheels are 1/32 Cox Ford GT. Guide is Cox with a Professor Motor 3/16" guide flag collar. Lead wires are Champion super flex. The motor is an unknown brand - I took it apart and replaced the stock arm with a REH Rocket 26... also replaced the stock endbell with a Tradeship. That was... interesting... the fit was not good so I spent a good hour sanding and filing the endbell to fit the can. The motor runs hot, pulls a good 2.5 amps at 4V, which I'm sure is due to my poor craftsmanship!

Tires are reproduction jobs from an eBay seller from Canada. They worked great on the Cobra GT so I thought I'd give them a go. The body mount bracket is Ulrich positive body mount. They are on eBay and look almost made for Dynamic frames - the holes line up well. Due to lack of clearance, however, instead of using screws I Ducacemented the mount to the frame. To hold the body to the chassis I used Velcro.  

Taking the pictures just now it looks like I broke the glue joint holding the mount to the chassis but luckily the Velcro stickyback is holding everything together. Quite a mess I have here, but whatever, I'm happy with how she looks. She's no Cobra, but I am happy.  :)

Enough reading already, here's some pictures!

HPIM1141.JPG

HPIM1142.JPG

HPIM1143.JPG

HPIM1144.JPG

HPIM1145.JPG

HPIM1146.JPG

HPIM1147.JPG

Comments and critiques welcomed gents, I wanted to have her on the track today but I chickened out. Maybe tomorrow!

Mikey 

• Tex and tonyp like this

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#2 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hi Mikey,

That body was part of the cars and parts from Auto Hobbies founder Bill Sippel's estate. I've had it sitting in a box for many years which seemed like a waste. It's nice to see it being used as it was meant to be.

Nice.  :good:

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#3 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

Mike,

Nice build, can't wait to see it!

Peter J. Linszky

#4 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

Thank you for the kudos gents, and for the lil bit of history, Rick.

I took the car out for a spin tonight on Red Lightning. Unfortunately it did not move, LOL. It seems my motor building skills are not up to snuff. He's dead, Jim...

Luckily I have an order from Electric Dreams on the way this week which includes a Russkit 22. Probably a better idea to put a stock 16D in there anyway.

Will report back once she can make a full lap! :)

Mikey

• boxerdog likes this

Mike DiVuolo

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Yep, I think you'll be a lot happier with a 22 in there Mikey... if the Rocket 26 is a 26 wire arm, you would have an out of control rocketship on your hands... and the magnets probably couldn't handle it either! 

Nice looking car too! Whatever Lola wants... 

Don 

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,005 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Mikey, you might be able to salvage that motor yet. Give one of your motor-building buddies in the vintage club a chance to rebuild it. You might have overlooked something simple.

Also, while not entirely vintage, it could be made a decent motor by swapping out the arm for one of the modern Chinese 16D arms (Deathstar, Trinity, or SpeedFX) that seems to be in everyone's box. At one time, I had a Canadian friend's 1/32 Eurotoy powered by an old Mura C-can motor with a Deathstar arm. That car ran extremely well on a routed wood Hillclimb track.

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#7 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:08 AM

Hey guys!

I installed the 22 motor in the car and did a few minor tweaks and adjustments.  I ran her on Red Lightning today and she was looking good, very happy with the car! :)

We'll see what happens with the original motor.  I can't get springs to stay attached.  They just....break!

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

#8 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,005 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

Motor brush springs breaking? What are you using? Will they stick to magnets? If so, they're steel, if not, they're something else. The raceway should sell a variety of replacement springs, such as those by Camen. But with sealed motor racing, who knows what they carry.

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#9 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

Hi Bill!

The Race Place carries a ton of different springs.  I tried old Champion ones as well as some that are in an unmarked box.  The Camen ones are too short for the Tradeship endbell.  Maybe the arm is just yanking too much current?  

Happy Father's Day guys!

Mikey

Mike DiVuolo

Electric Dreams Online Shop