44 replies to this topic

#26 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

With 6 other teams in attendance one would think there would be more to be said.
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#27 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

Josh looks like he was having a great time, LOL

36690405685_a2e163d834_k.jpg

• Steve Deiters likes this
Matt Sheldon

#28 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

With 6 other teams in attendance one would think there would be more to be said.

I agree, Bill. I had fun, and appreciate being allowed to race with you guys. The racing was good, the food was better, and I didn't damage your car too much.

Apparently nobody else had any fun, or wants to admit it.

• Steve Deiters likes this

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#29 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:49 AM

Great day of racing with another well run event. I will race for Montgomery Inn barbecue sauce pulled pork sandwiches anytime!

The Big 3 team!

• Tater likes this

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#30 TG Racing

TG Racing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

I always have fun racing at Tom Thumb!  I would like to thank the McMasters for a great job (as always).  Tri-State didn't get the finish we had hoped for.  That pesky motor change hurt us but we still had an awesome car thanks to Scott H. and Scott B.  We turned a lot of laps, gained a lot of experience, and had a good time!  Also a big thank you to Bill Fulmer for all his great pics and hard work!!

Thom Greene

#31 FSK

FSK

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:07 AM

The crew at Mac's is so much fun. Good to see little Avery she is growing so fast. The racing was very close team Big 3 had me sweeting things. 22 mins on was fun, When our car got walled in the 90 it hit hard the marshall picked it up and it was 18 inches long. My heart dropped in my chest. At the sametime I never thought we where done. Rick and Ricky are the best racers to have in the Pits. I walked over and told them  hay, it will need a braid LOL [Funny now] It is amazing how much a little car can take. I think team   Big 3   used the same motor and went 4.70 in the last heat. There DK chassis was workin. It was a blast and as I get older the best form of racing for me. Thank you Rick, Ricky and Willy for a great race. Mike and Cindy for the good food and good time. All the racers where very conciderate of riders too good job by all. SK

• NSwanberg and Matt Sheldon like this

Steve Koepp

#32 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Was incredibly glad for the opportunity to race with Josh and Jessica. Believe me, I had a rough opening stint because I hadn't quite made friends with the car in practice and we ended up having to fight the whole race long to make up for that initial bad spot. Special thanks to Steve Koepp for the ride down, Mike McMasters for talking my team into taking on "some Flexi guy from up north", Jessica McMasters for plenty of great stints to pile on the laps, and Josh Crutchfield for building a great car to take the beating of that race and then letting me take it home.

I'll be back next year guys!

• Steve Deiters and Matt Sheldon like this
Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria, OH
Series Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#33 Wizard16

Wizard16

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

The hospitality of the McMasters is legendary...ask anyone who has ever raced at TT. Also thanks for the great food! My first enduro and great fun with Nelson and Raisin. A very, very sweet DK chassis bought off Slotblog which I got a little less than 3 weeks before the race. It had not turned a wheel until the Friday before the race. A little weight added here and there and it was a rocket. Thanks DK. I can attest to the issue of laps not counting with the Red Fox guide unless there are long braids on it. Raisin lost about 40 laps in the last stint with no laps counting. We probably lost some before then as well.  Fortunately we had a large enough lead over third place that it didn't end up costing us. I'm ready for the next one!

• NSwanberg likes this
Diana Dyckman

#34 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

I can attest to the issue of laps not counting with the Red Fox guide unless there are long braids on it.

It was mentioned to me that one of the other cars in the race, missed laps also, without a Red Fox guide, when it had a bad braid.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#35 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

It was mentioned to me that one of the other cars in the race, missed laps also, without a Red Fox guide, when it had a bad braid.

That would have been our car. An early hit tweaked the nose so that it was "carrying" the guide and arcing badly. We were changing braids almost every heat. One heat we elected to "double-stint" the braids because we had really closed in on 3rd from 4th and ended up losing a bunch of laps that Jessica turned. Oops on our part!

#36 Brinkley47

Brinkley47

A winner is a loser who gave it one more try

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

That would have been our car. An early hit tweaked the nose so that it was "carrying" the guide and arcing badly. We were changing braids almost every heat. One heat we elected to "double-stint" the braids because we had really closed in on 3rd from 4th and ended up losing a bunch of laps that Jessica turned. Oops on our part!

double stint? What is that?

From a racer with lap counting issues :)
Will Brinkley
willbrinkley@gmail.com

#37 Ralph Thorne

Ralph Thorne

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

It's a road racing/endurance racing term. Justin is referring to how many heats he left the braid in for. A single heat would be a "single stint", so two heats would be a "double stint".

#38 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Ralph's got it right. In endurance racing you'll hear about teams "double-stinting" tires or drivers which is to run them through more than one stop. I use the term for components and drivers through heats in enduros. lol

#39 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:38 PM

So many to thank for the weekend.....The Tom Thumb staff did their usual magic in hosting an event. Thank you Diana for traveling all the way from Texas, Thank you Nelson for putting up with me all weekend, and of course a big thank you to all the other participants. I am pretty sure everyone had as good a time as I did.

I think we learned that the 7r 7r 7r 7r controversy was much ado about nothing as ours was very fast and ran the entire 6 hours without slowing down. In fact I was told that we set fast lap of the race in the final heat.

• Steve Deiters, Justin A. Porter, NSwanberg and 1 other like this

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#40 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

The crew at Mac's is so much fun. Good to see little Avery she is growing so fast. The racing was very close team Big 3 had me sweeting things. 22 mins on was fun, When our car got walled in the 90 it hit hard the marshall picked it up and it was 18 inches long. My heart dropped in my chest. At the sametime I never thought we where done. Rick and Ricky are the best racers to have in the Pits. I walked over and told them  hay, it will need a braid LOL [Funny now] It is amazing how much a little car can take. I think team   Big 3   used the same motor and went 4.70 in the last heat. There DK chassis was workin. It was a blast and as I get older the best form of racing for me. Thank you Rick, Ricky and Willy for a great race. Mike and Cindy for the good food and good time. All the racers where very conciderate of riders too good job by all. SK

Except it was a GVP built GVP chassis. Not a DK. No one has figured out that main rail system yet. 

• Tim Neja likes this

#41 Josh Crutchfield

Josh Crutchfield

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

You're not the first person to cut rails and sleeve them with brass tubing. Lol
  • Mad Mexican, Matt Sheldon and TG Racing like this

#42 Wizard16

Wizard16

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

GVP, I believe if you re-read Steve's post and substitute their for there he was talking about the Big 3 chassis "workin" which is a DK. Raisin did the 4.70 in the 16th heat and the DK was screaming.

• Matt Sheldon likes this
Diana Dyckman

#43 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

GVP, I believe if you re-read Steve's post and substitute their for there he was talking about the Big 3 chassis "workin" which is a DK. Raisin did the 4.70 in the 16th heat and the DK was screaming.

I see that now, Thought he was talking about the winning team he was on. The winning team for the last two years have used GVP built chassis using R-Geo products. Dennis builds very good chassis and you did him proud by finishing 2nd only 138.6 laps down from the winning team.  

#44 Wizard16

Wizard16

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

We were 75 down going into the last 2 heats. The laps not counting bit us. We still wouldn't have won but the lap count would have been different. I think you'll agree that the quality of the drivers is a tad bit different between the two teams, eh? I wasn't equal to, or close to it, to any of the drivers on RGeo.  

Diana Dyckman

#45 Greg VanPeenen

Greg VanPeenen

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

You're not the first person to cut rails and sleeve them with brass tubing. Lol

First of all I was one of the first if not the first. 2nd they are not cut and sleeved. let me know if you ever figure out which ones are soldered and which ones aren't,   LMAO

Regards

Electric Dreams Online Shop