15 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

Hi i'm looking for someone who can rezap the magnets in a couple of pittman 85 type motors i have i'm in australia i don't have a problem paying postage or for work as long as not to ridiculous i would like to get them done for the rods & rails proxy any help will be appreciated.
Thanks Tom.

#2 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

Hi Tom, you'll need someone or a raceway with one of the big raceway type magnet zappers that have the big +ve & -ve blocks.

These ones allow the padlock (laminated pole) motors in between them allowing proper zapping/polarity.

Good luck in getting some cars ready for the Proxy,hope to get a couple of cars ready myself :D

MagnetZapper-011.jpg

#3 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

Thanks Paul i will have to go thru the list of raceways email them & see if they can help i am hoping that some one will see this post who will be able to zapp them for me my local can only do 16d size motors & another track close by has a big zapper but it doesn't work guess this is 1 of the problems playing with old stuff.

#4 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

Sometimes you might track down businesses that service magnetos and have adequate zappers. Some sources are old motorcycle and farm equipment shops that might be local, just so they setup like the picture Paul posted. If all else fails, I can do them, but I'm not sure what the postage might be.

David Cummerow

#5 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

Thanks David yeah i might try a couple of motor cycle places theres a place about an hour away that does some old plane engines too & my brother got his magneto for his flathead rebuilt somewhere but not sure if he sent it to u.s or got it done here if i can't find something in the next month i'll pm you David & we will work out something i know in postage there & back it can get pricey but i know it will be worth it.
Thanks Tom.
Here is pick of the motor i want to send in for the proxy i've ground the top lams like Gene Husting did in the r&c articles in early 66 & put the motor on a slight diet.

Attached Images

• 20170625_093238.jpg
  • 20170625_093216.jpg

• Pitt Man and C. J. Bupgoo like this

#6 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:40 AM

Tom, 

If you can't find anything closer, you can also try getting in touch with John Secchi of North London - he occasionally posts here under that name. He's got a big old zapper and is used to doing these kinds of motors. 

When I was looking for a zapper 20 years ago, somebody suggested model train shops (here in Paris), but the ones I asked just laughed and said: "we don't use those kinds of motors anymore!"

Don 

#7 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:14 AM

Hey Don thanks for that yeah i was told same thing but the store i went to had never seen one & told me to try the slot raceway anyway problem should be solved Gator Bob told me i can get it done at the track running the proxy the only problem being my car will run diffrently i will try to setup to compensate but then again i don't have a strip here right know so i really don't know how it will run anyway.Thank you to everyone for your help.
Tom

#8 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

Good news Tom! I was in the same situation, with no local track to test cars...

Was just looking at an old Bob Braverman article and he was talking about 2.5 or 3:1 for these kinds of cars - but that was also on 30 or 36 volts! And there's a lot of variables. 

Don 

#9 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:06 AM

Hi Don yeah i'm going for a 2.6 ratio with 1 3/8 tyres if i run it now with that setup (but 1 !/8 tires) at the end of my straight it starts picking up some speed & it sounds good if i lift the back up & giv it some throttle seems to have some tire speed i'm hoping with the torque of the rezapped magnet it will pull off the line but if it doesnt i guess try again next year & my local track is planning on putting a strip in if they get it done before the event i'll get it running as good as i can & drop it down a couple of points in ratio to make up for it.
Thanks Tom.
In the r&c article with Gene Husting he suggests starting at 3 to 1 & going up or down from there depending on how it runs.

#10 airhead

airhead

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:02 AM

Try looking for some one to zapp your magnets  at an old engine show, I know they have them down there so check the net for one in your area.

Attached Images

• IMG_3277.JPG
  • IMG_3278.JPG

Billy Watson

#11 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

I read somewhere about using cheap neo magnets to zap Alnico mags? Maybe that would be a good option or at least you could give it a shot....

David Cummerow

#12 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

try this??

Remagnetizing Old Magnets
Alnico horseshoe and bar magnets can become demagnetized if dropped, stored without a keeper, or by repelling other magnets.  Instead of throwing them out, you can remagnetize them using neodymium magnets.  Stroke the north pole of a strong neodymium magnet from the center of the alnico magnet to the south pole end of the horseshoe several times.  Then, stroke the south pole of the neodymium magnet from the center of the alnico magnet to the north end of the horseshoe several times.  This will recharge the worn out alnico magnet.  If you reverse the directions, you'll re-magnetize the horseshoe in the opposite orientation!  Check out our D4X0-ND to help identify the poles of your neodymium magnet.

More info at: https://www.kjmagnetics.com/uses.asp

David Cummerow

#13 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Back in the 1960s, the only magnet zapper was at one of our auto service shops.  The desktop slot store zappers had not been built.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#14 JohnnySlotcar

JohnnySlotcar

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

Roger at Mid-America has an old style zapper.

John Austin

#15 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

Thanks Billy i think there might be one not to far from me a couple of times a day year i will have to check it out.Thanks David i have tried the neo magnets before with nothing sucess but had'nt seen the procedure.Hi Larry yeah tried a few old auto shops think i had seen that they had zappers to recalibrate speedos or something but i had no luck.Thanks John i've seen mid americas store on ebay i will remember them if need more help.
Thanks Tom.

#16 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:16 PM

Used to magnetize magnetos in old cars and motorcycles .

• Tom Katsanis likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop