13 replies to this topic

#1 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:12 PM

Because we had a major change in the chassis rules, I thought that some hints on passing tech would help. Even though Jay Guard has made the new ruling very clear, I think that a repeat or pointing out several other rules are needed. So, in order to pass tech this coming Saturday, here are a few helpful hints.

1) The maximum chassis width has been changed from 3.25" to 83mm (3.268") in order to accommodate the Mossetti Defender chassis. This width includes the ears for body mounting. For a 3 piece chassis, the side pans will be moved out to their max width and the 83mm measurement will be taken. In order to accurately take this measurement, tech will need to be body off.

2) The maximum track width across the rear tires is still 3.25". This measurement will be conducted by our common tech tools. This is a go/no-go type of measurement. The tech tool must easily slip over the rear tires and be removed without picking the car up. We will not force the tech tools over the rear tires.

3) Bumper rule for 4" NASCAR: The vertical portion of the bumper must be a minimum of 1/8" (0.125') (3.18mm). Be very careful about trimming the bumpers off to below 1/8". Front and Rear.

4) The rear clearance rule has not changed. It is still a minimum of 1/16" (0.0625"). The rear of the chassis, up to the rear axle position, must clear the 1/16" measurement including the spur gear. If the tech tool moves the car or if the tech tool lifts a tire off of the tech block, the car does not pass tech. 

5) The body must cover the entire chassis when viewed from above. Minor tweaking of the body is allowed so that the body can cover the Defender chassis.

6) Make sure you have an appropriate interior. No holes or any cutouts allowed. The interior must cover the chassis when viewed from above.

I encourage the racers to re-read the rules and present a legal car to the tech inspectors. This will make the day go smoother and everyone will have a much better experience.

And, I wish a very happy 4th of July to everybody!

• Samiam and Brian Ambrose like this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#2 Kevin Donovan

Kevin Donovan

Mid-Pack Racer

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

Would make more sense to just tech 83 across the back wheels and not go through the hassle of taking bodies off. The chassis are going to measure 83 anyway unless they are obviously modified. Taking body off is just a waste of time. Sounds like the tech guy is on a power trip down there.
  • Biscuit likes this

#3 Kevin Donovan

Kevin Donovan

Mid-Pack Racer

• Partial Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

People trying to run the JK Premium Hubs will run into problems trying to pass tech at 3.25". These are very popular tires and most Raceways stock them. That's why it makes sense to run 83mm (3.269") across the rear.8111B436-5AB9-4728-84E3-7A871AA576A1-215-0000000BC958F0EF.png

#4 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

Always purchase Tech Insurance before going to tech also. :)
  • Wizard Of Iz and Kevin Donovan like this
Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#5 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Would make more sense to just tech 83 across the back wheels and not go through the hassle of taking bodies off. The chassis are going to measure 83 anyway unless they are obviously modified. Taking body off is just a waste of time. Sounds like the tech guy is on a power trip down there.

Kevin if you've been following some of the other FSCS threads you'll know that we - admittedly - fell behind the times with our rule set in Florida.  No great conspiracy, just is what it is. We can get outside year-round so there are no snow days to just sit around and read through rule books from around the world.

Jay, Doc and the rest of the BOD are working on getting caught up but you can't change everything in the middle of the year.  Doc just got the short straw to post a reminder since there had been a couple of changes since the last race.  The dude made his living as an engineer and reads rules in black and white.  Me .... I'm a sales guy where we always round up or down as is convenient.

I know there was discussion among the BOD about 83mm vs 3.250" for the rear track and it was decided to stay with 3.250" for this year simply because everyone has a 3.250" tech tool.  As a racer who has been known to have trouble with interpretation of the width rule, I could have used the extra .45mm.

• DOCinCocoa likes this

Rollin Isbell

#6 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

People trying to run the JK Premium Hubs will run into problems trying to pass tech at 3.25". These are very popular tires and most Raceways stock them. That's why it makes sense to run 83mm (3.269") across the rear.attachicon.gif8111B436-5AB9-4728-84E3-7A871AA576A1-215-0000000BC958F0EF.png

Kevin ..... Very popular indeed.  When I was part-owner of SCR&H in Jacksonville the JK Premium Hub tires were the only tires we stocked.  We'd order anything guys wanted, but we made the business decision to stock a wide variety of JK tires instead of some of Alpha, some of Kelly, some of JK, some of Pro-Track, and some of Koford.  The JK's were reasonably priced and worked well on our Hillclimb --- and they were always available.

We teched cars at 3.250" in every class with no issues.  Guys quickly learned that if they used Slick 7 bushings or the Champion oilites without the nib then they would easily tech at 3.250".  Only issues came when guys tried to use JK or other adjusta-bushings that had a nib.

Always purchase Tech Insurance before going to tech also. :)

Bill ....... I've found that my Crew Chief - Alexander Hamilton - always found a way to get my car through tech.   :)

• The Number of and DOCinCocoa like this

Rollin Isbell

#7 Brian Ambrose

Brian Ambrose

On The Lead Lap

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

The best news ever for us is,,,,,,

Minor tweaking of the body is allowed so that the body can cover the Defender chassis.

Since we are allowed to bend over the front axle uprights, are we allowed to bend up the front ears to fit our body of choice that I like to run?

#8 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

Brian, that's a good question. Are you talking about the front ears on the Defender that are 83mm wide?

Doc Dougherty
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio

#9 Brian Ambrose

Brian Ambrose

On The Lead Lap

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:23 AM

Yes Doc.

#10 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Also always remember to place a 20 dollar bill between the body and chassis, so that the tech inspector is put in a proper frame of mind when teching the car. :)

Cheers for the Fourth

• Wizard Of Iz and Mad Mexican like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#11 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Clarification on the 83mm chassis width rule: After talking to several racers and FSCS directors, a clarification on the 83mm chassis width is necessary. If there is a deliberate attempt to keep the pans of a 3 piece chassis wider than 83mm, the car is illegal. If the vertical tabs are all vertical and the chassis exceeds 83mm with the pans pushed out to max width, the car is legal.

I have tape on all of my X25 chassis. None of the chassis widths exceed 83mm. So, if you use tape on these chassis, it is in your best interest to not exceed the 83mm rule.

Rollin is going to tech the Group 1 4" NASCARs. For $20 bucks a pop, I think that he will get a lot of help.  :D 

• Half Fast likes this
Doc Dougherty

#12 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

Brian Xpro Retro East Member

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

It might help your racers out if you could post a picture with arrows indicating the areas of interest ....

#13 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

Still can't believe that Jay and Doc talked me into this.  It'll be easy breezy.  Pictures are a great idea, but I'm not that proficient and I'm about to head out and enjoy my day off ...

Have a legal chassis with a body from the current list and you can't see the chassis from above and you'll pass that portion of tech.

Have a rear track width that fits in the standard 3.250" tech tool with .062" clearance at the rear axle and you'll pass that portion of tech.

Have an untampered JK Hawk Retro motor and you'll pass that portion of tech.

Have a body with proper numbers, at least 1/8" front and rear bumpers, and a 3D plastic interior and you'll pass that portion of tech.

Of course ..... make sure you follow the rest of the guidelines ..... but you get the idea.  I want more people to race ... not fewer.

• Half Fast, DOCinCocoa and Samiam like this

Rollin Isbell

#14 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:52 PM

Rollin, I should have had you post this from the beginning. Thank you. I think it is time to lock it.

• Wizard Of Iz likes this
Doc Dougherty

Electric Dreams Online Shop