11 replies to this topic

#1 Rfregg

Rfregg

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

Hello all,

I am another old guy (60 years) who is in the process of creating a new version of my old Revell set-up. First post here and I hope it's in the right place because I sure could use some advice. I have plenty of track. I purchased a Pyramid power supply. I bought a new Revell Lola just to have a car to test.

First question... I read somewhere about "harvesting the plugs" from the stock controllers and using a modern trigger controller. How exactly do I decide on which wire goes where? And what the heck kind of controller should I buy? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Once I get that figured out I am going to attempt to use copper tape on the entire track. That just seems like a good idea but again I don't know the actual process of how to do it.

Rob Freggiaro

#2 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

There is a whole world of good info and diagrams online these days as well as lots of pre-assembled fusing and drivers panels parts.

Slot Car Corner.com;  Professor Motor.com; and others like Trackmateracing.com who has nice timing system without the horns of the expensive ones. All of these have wiring plans. 

Copper tape is a mainstay of the 1/32 homeset racing on wood tracks, but solves many issues when resurrecting old plastic track.  Carrera track is the modern 'best big layout' track.

Old Revell works and REH Dist has the molds and sells new pieces under the 'Riggen' brand, but still major limits on design options.  The rails are different enough to cause magnet problems - been there, done that.

Do not worry about the controller plugs. They went out of style in 1964, but the homeset designers never got the memo.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:00 AM

Wiring diagram is on any Parma controller box. 

Welcome to the blog

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#4 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

Forget original style home set wiring. Wire up a new system with positive polarity as you can find on the internet.  Easy to order two terminal panels or a complete wiring panel from Professor Motor for a two or four-lane track. It tells you each hookup and you can use any resistor type controller or a positive polarity electronic controllers like Professor Motor.    

Bottom line is you can make up the whole deal yourself with a few feet of wire and wood panel and some 1/4 inch bolts. Then you forget all the bad, insufficient 1960 connections.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#5 Rfregg

Rfregg

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

Thanks, everyone.

I will get to work on research. Proper installation of copper tape will also be on my list to research. Any links would be very helpful.

Rob Freggiaro

#6 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

Slot Car Corner has a kit for laying the tape with a nice special tool.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#7 Rfregg

Rfregg

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

Thanks to all I have gained such resources and I appreciate it very much.

It's going to take awhile to figure out all of this so now it's all about building the track. (First thing to figure out is the difference between positive polarity and negative polarity LOL.) Once I get done I will focus on the cars and controllers. 

One last question... is this the correct forum to be asking these questions? Or should I be posting in Vintage 1/32 scale or somewhere else?

Again, thank you for all your help. My grandson (one-year old) and I will be enjoying this all someday.
Rob Freggiaro

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,921 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:52 PM

Don't agonize over post placement, Rob. There's a lot of gray area and I'll just move your posts if I think they're misplaced.

That being said, for the questions you're asking, this forum works just fine.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#9 Rfregg

Rfregg

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:15 PM

I ended up wiring the whole track with a kit from Slot Car Corner. Really slick design and instructions. Professor Motor controllers and a Pyramid power supply finished it up. Now I have a bunch of old plunger controllers that I'll never use! The old Revell track was still in good shape so no copper tape was needed. It is fun run such an old track with modern power and modern cars.

I did find some old Revell open wheel cars on Ebay that were the exact same ones I used as a kid. They are 1/24th scale I beleive. They run fine but the tires are pretty bad. I would appreciate any thoughts on where I might find some replacements or other ways to freshen them up.

• Samiam likes this
Rob Freggiaro

#10 munter

munter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:41 AM

Paul Gage could probably help you with tires.

Try an email pggage@shaw.ca 

John Warren
Slot cars are my preferred reality

#11 Rfregg

Rfregg

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

Thanks for the tip I contacted him and he is working on it.

Rob Freggiaro

#12 Rfregg

Rfregg

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

The Paul Gage tires worked perfectly. I also bought a Carrera 2 lane lap counter that fit the Revell track. After a couple of weeks one lane doesn't "see" the cars to record the lap unless it is moving very slow. Changed batteries and it is no better. Anyone out there familiar with this counter? Is it broken or is there a fix that I might try?

• munter likes this
Rob Freggiaro

Electric Dreams Online Shop