• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 vintageslots

vintageslots

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

Hello everyone, been some time since visiting. Life and health issues LOL: :)  :)  :)

Hey, I'm looking at buying a fairly large collection of '60s slots. Being there is too much to keep I will be selling off some off the new not unpackaged slots. I am not money hungry but a handful will end up on eBay to help recoup my investment. Here is a few that will be sold off:

Monogram Duesenberg
Monogram GT40 Roadster
Revell Corvette (1965?)
Cox Chappy 2
Cox GT40 Ford.

What kind of prices on a given day have you seen on these? I have some of these already or really mint examples.
What have you observed lately?

As always thanks a bunch for any help.

Randy

James Webster

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,917 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:05 AM

Randy,

I always cringe a little when someone starts asking, "What are these slot cars worth?" Honestly, the values of vintage slot cars are not that set in stone, kinda like the appraisals you see made on Antiques Roadshow and similar programs. Values of a lot of collectibles are really opinions, unless there is a fair body of recent comparable sales on eBay and elsewhere.

And you've simply not given enough info for any knowledgeable collector to assign value. For example, a sealed unbuilt kit in a perfect box has one value, a very well-built car has another value, and a poorly-built one another. Correct wheels and tires are another variable, as is the condition of those tires. And there are numerous variations of a Cox Chappy 2 as well.

IMO your best approach is to spend some time searching eBay for recently completed sales of cars in similar conditions. That's probably your best database to mine for the value info you seek. eBay has had a tremendous impact of the value of collectibles since it began.

What you should try to do is to become knowledgeable enough to assess the desireabilty of a particular car or kit and thus come to have a 'feel' for how many buyers would have interest in that piece.

This is probably not the answer you wanted, but it is honest one where I am trying to be helpful. And perhaps will help you to understand why no one jumped in with numbers for you.
  • Half Fast likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:42 AM

Nice and simple they are worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Post some pictures so we can get a better idea.
  • olescratch likes this
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#4 vintageslots

vintageslots

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

Well honestly, I don't go to eBay at all to buy slot cars. I do go there for used/NOS slot parts but I do know that people tend to overpay for stuff there.

If I could keep it all I would but if you saw the current stash of models and slots you would understand. Years ago, I would see stuff like this sell for what I call stupid money. When it comes right down to it I don't think any of this stuff is worth what it goes for. I just figure someone lately had followed a sale and had seen a final number and was thinking... wow.

Instead of lecturing me if you read the post it states that theses are in unopened condition. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Just a simple harmless question, fortunetly, I have learned to ignore the trolls and bullshit when looking for information. 

I just figured this was a good place since a lot of you have been in hobby since the earliest days.

James Webster

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,917 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

Randy,

Please don't take offense; I wasn't trying to lecture you at all.

Didn't suggest you should go to eBay to buy, just that it is an excellent place to do research on values.

I did see that you said "unopened boxes," but that doesn't really tell the whole story. It implies unbuilt, of course, but for collectors the mantra is 'condition, conition, condition." Do the boxes show any sun-fading, are all the box corners and edges perfect and unworn, have the chemicals from the tires discolored the interior packaging, what exact variants of the GT40 and Chappy kits do you have? All of these things affect value, in some cases very significantly.

"Years ago, I would see stuff like this sell for what I call stupid money."

Based on a couple of sales or a large number of them? Yes, values on many slot cars have gone down, not up. Collectible values are a moving target and based primarily on supply and demand. The suggestion to look at sales history on eBay was made to point you to a resource where you can easily find a non-trivial volume of actual selling prices to help you to determine the item values you wish to learn.

"I do know that people tend to overpay for stuff [on eBay]."

Can't really agree with this. Buyers on eBay tend to pay what they feel an item is worth to them for that item on that day, just like at any other auction for any type of goods. And if you feel they overpay, it suggests that you already have your own ideas about what those things were worth, doesn't it?

• Ramcatlarry and olescratch like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

If people on eBay are willing to pay it doesn't matter if it was too high. All it takes is two bidders who really want it.

I think that is all everyone here was saying. They were just giving honest answers to an honest question.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
Robert Mueller,special council.(2013)

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

What they said!  

If you're looking to sell some of the "new not unpackaged" (IOW, NIB?) stuff on eBay, then Greg's suggestion to spend some time there to see if you can get a handle on what these are going for (asking price) only seems like the natural first thing to do. I understand that you don't go there to "buy" slot cars, but if you're planning on going there to "sell" slot cars, there just might be some very helpful information for you there.  

I also don't think that eBay prices paid are necessarily high. They may be some times if (as Sam said) there just happens to be some bidding on an item who happen to be particularly interested in an item for their own reasons. On the other hand, items may go for lower than optimal prices if "the right people" just miss an item or aren't interested on that particular day.

Asking prices can be (and often are) "stoopid." It's really common to see garbage being sold as "collectible."
Selling prices... what items have actually sold for are more informative, keeping in mind Sam's point.
Interest (how many people bid on an item, how fast it sells, etc.) is useful as well.

Also as mentioned above, the selling price of these things can fall or rise on things like just the condition of the packaging, let alone the condition of the item and whether or not it is indeed correct and has no substituted parts.

Of course, what you get can also depend on your own patience. It can take a while for "lightning to strike," so don't be discouraged if an item doesn't sell immediately for your asking price. Then too, there is always the balance between selling as an auction or for a fixed price, and there can be good reasons to go either way.  

Good luck selling!

John Havlicek

#8 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

BTW... I won two Tiger MIP made in Japan thumb controllers for 99 cents. Nobody else bid and there was no reserve.

There's a seller trying to sell one now for a BIN of $450 or best offer.

Is the seller of this lot asking full pie in the sky retail? If so, walk away.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
Robert Mueller,special council.(2013)

#9 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

eBay selling prices are what a certain item is worth on a certain day, that is market price when presented to the largest group of buyers/collectors you can find. Summer prices are usually lower than cold weather prices. MIB kits that are "mint' are top dollar, just an unbuilt beat-up kit is a different animal.    

Demand drives it all. Cox kits like the Chap 2 and Ford GT do seem to stay solidly in the $275-$350 range. Really there are only a few other manufacturers kits that maintain  stable prices. The Dusey, not much in demand, $150-$200 is probably as good as you can expect. The Mono GT roadster recently on eBay was listed several times over and that kit finally sold for a less than $200 (if I remember right), a big drop from 15 years ago. Revell Stingrays are popular cars but crappy-looking kits and they are not much in demand for the actual kit. I don"t think they do much over $200 anymore.

You asked and these are my opinions and if the numbers are not what you like, it's still just my opinion.

It varies every day and there are really three important factors: Is  it a Cox kit? Is it a very nice display like a Cox kit or just a bunch of stuff thrown in a box like the Duesenberg kit? Is it a pretty hard to find kit like a Mono '55 Chev or T-Bird.   

Just my opinion.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#10 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

Matt's take is right on. I've been buying and selling slots over 40 years.

I think you will be very surprised if you are thinking about prices even from a year or two back.

"Mint" ( hate that word ) kits new in box will always have value regardless of the market.

Soon there will be a glut of stuff as collectors age, get ill or pass away. Bold statement but unfortunately a fact.

And that's my opinion.

• Joe Mig and olescratch like this

Joe Lupo

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,917 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

... then Greg's suggestion to spend some time there to see if you can get a handle on what these are going for (asking price) only seems like the natural first thing to do.

Just wanted to make the point that you can limit your search to sold items. From my perspective, that's far better data than asking prices.

Gregory Wells

#12 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Never waste time on current listings, look at completed auctions and only pay attention to items that actually sold. You will still get all kinds of numbers and it can be hard to tell reality from fake bids, even on completed auctions,
  • Joe Mig likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#13 vintageslots

vintageslots

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:14 AM

Matt.

Thanks for the straight-up answers. I wasn't looking for anything else but that. I thought it would be easier to ask here since a handful of people buy and sell these cars also. I don't have time to wade through hours and hours of internet bullshit but yet found it here. Don't know how I offended anyone here, never offered them for sale to group. Cars, parts, boxes look like I travelled back in time. These are near mint or as close as they can be.

And people wonder why most people don't be active in forums,
James Webster

#14 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:54 AM

James, I don't think you offended anybody. If anything it was just a response to a kind of a wide open question. There are so many factors involved in pricing kits and even just used vintage slot cars, that it is nearly impossible to estimate better than 60%-65% accuracy on these kind of questions.

One really important factor with lower demand kits is the weather factor. This time of year, a lot of buyers are missing from Ebay, but they come back in Dec. Even saying that this could be the year it doesn't pick up when the cold weather shows up. You just never know.
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#15 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,917 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

Cars, parts, boxes look like I travelled back in time. These are near mint or as close as they can be.

If you had clearly stated this up front, you would have received different replies, I believe.

There are so many factors involved in pricing kits and even just used vintage slot cars, that it is nearly impossible to estimate better than 60%-65% accuracy on these kind of questions.

And this is a good synopsis of the replies you did get.

• Half Fast likes this

Gregory Wells

#16 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,917 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

I don't have time to wade through hours and hours of internet bullshit but yet found it here.

This sort of statement will certainly not work to generate more responses to your questions, should in the future you elect to post any of them here.

Please keep in mind that no one was required to reply to the question you asked, yet many did. You obviously didn't like the responses and now seemingly you want to complain about them because they weren't the simple numbers you sought.

Randy, Slotblog is not an appraisal service, certainly not when slim info regarding the items is provided.

And, your sig says you are "James Webster" yet you sign your posts 'Randy.' Why is that please?

• MSwiss and Half Fast like this

Gregory Wells

#17 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

Hard to find any forum where the guys are more responsive then here!  

I'm willing to assume the OP didn't realize he was insulting the guys here that replied with comments responding to his post. I could be wrong!

• Cheater and Samiam like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#18 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

You don't have time to wade through a bunch of internet bullshit, but you have time to complain about the guys who spent their time answering your question (but not in the fashion you wished)? LOL.
  • Half Fast and Samiam like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#19 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:23 PM

Tough room!  :)

• Cheater likes this

#20 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:13 AM

Your typical guy looking value people took the time to answer and he got what he was looking for. Matt gave him the answer he was looking for so that he now has what he was looking for.
this guy seems very ungrateful for people's input.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Electric Dreams Online Shop