8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:28 AM

Hi everyone I just picked this up a kyosho dash ll 1/8 scale rc car from the early 70s with a lola t70 body.The car is a little rough & not complete missing all the radio gear but still has the original box & manuals besides the linkages needing straightening & a good clean the car should be right to run once i get some radio gear the body is'nt to bad it has a couple of cracks here & there but no big chunks missing the decals on it get a bit confused with 2 or more diffrent oil company stickers but it also has a couple of early looking r.o.a.r decals too i don't know how common they are.The motor has been changed with a veco (hope thats right)replacing the original hiness motor otherwise i thought it was a pretty cool car to share with everyone the wheels on it look real nice also to help finish it off so i can have a drive every so often (i will replace body so don't wreck it more) i was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with some vintage radio gear transmitter,receiver & servos in hopefully working condition & at a reasonable price anyway i hope you enjoy the photos sorry there not great there just taken on my phone.

Thanks. Tom

20170724_161232.jpg

20170724_161348.jpg

20170724_161316.jpg

20170724_161238.jpg

20170724_161256.jpg

20170724_161330.jpg

20170724_161413.jpg

• Neckcheese and Tex like this

#2 Neckcheese

Neckcheese

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:44 AM

My first R/C car :-)

Niels DK

• Tom Katsanis likes this

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#3 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:43 AM

Cool i hope it's brought back some memories.
  • Neckcheese likes this

#4 Neckcheese

Neckcheese

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

Certainly, Tom :-)

here is a couple of pictures from 1971.

We used our mothers minibikes as starter and home made cardboard bodies for practice as we could not afford the expensive (and fragile) plastic bodies. Primitive but that was our only possibility to race back then :-)

Niels, DK

Attached Images

• H_JRIS2 (2013_01_08 01_43_30 UTC).JPG
  • BILKA2 (2013_01_08 01_43_30 UTC).JPG

Niels Elmholt Christensen, DK
www.racecars.dk - my Picasa Photos

#5 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

I would go with current radio gear. The radios of that vintage are not very reliable. The Veco motor should be period

correct if it is the right displacement. I ran K&B when I first got into R/C cars in the mid 70's. 

#6 zipper

zipper

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

Yes, I started with Veco 1973 and soon changed to K&B. And it didn't take too long to grab my Dremel to give Veco some boost. Poor con rods...

Pekka Sippola

#7 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

Cool photos Niels the card board body looks fine at a glance Thanks Dave i might end up doing that but i will not run the car to much anyway & if it' possible to change the crystals i will try to see if i can atleast use a funky 70s transmitter.I probably won't drive it much & won't race it so i won't work the motor hopefully my conrod will be alright i've mostly bought it for the history & a little bit of fun.
Tom
  • Neckcheese likes this

#8 proptop

proptop

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hi Tom...it looks like the engine is an ENYA...probably a .19

They are good quality engines, but are generally a bit on the tight side...the piston most likely is a Meehanite cast iron (not ringed, but lapped) fitted into a steel cylinder sleeve.

Unless it has already been broken in, I would suggest careful running-in with a fuel containing castor for the oil content, and low nitro, and w/o the body.

Ken Enya is still alive, in Japan, and still does some business FWIW

The K&B / Veco .19's are still available through MECOA (Model Engine Co. Of America) and EBAY, as are various radio components at fairly low prices.

Your frequencies would most likely be specific to your area...so EBAY might be a the best place to look for receivers and transmitters?

The old boxy Futaba (tan with a black plastic wheel) would be period correct and might even still work o.k.?

Most people are using 2.4 GHZ now, so the old 27/72/75 MHZ frequencies are now virtually un-used...but I don't know if they are o.k. to use in Australia?

Tom Hemmes
Insert witty phrase here...

#9 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Cool thanks Tom hav'nt started yet hopefully the motor is ok but have spare anyway i have seen those futaba controls on ebay they look pretty cool i will check with local hobby shop on what frequency i can run.
Thanks Tom.

Electric Dreams Online Shop