• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

I went to the scheduled Fifth Saturday Retro races in Talladega yesterday. We ran Stocks, F1, and Can-Am. I had a rough day and launched the two best cars I ran in the high bank, ending my day early in the first two races. Finished fourth in the Can-Am but used the corner workers way to much.

in this day of few tracks and track closings with limited Retro racing in the region it is good to have anyone putting on Retro races. Talladega is a quirky tight track and far from the perfection of the latest King tracks, but it is a challenge and can be fun even if difficult to drive. Everyone involved should be commended for putting in the effort. The racing is done in a manner that reflects the realities of the day. The four and four lane format is used in order to have corner workers. The racing in general had the least track calls I have seen in some time. Most of the drivers stayed on pretty well and we had corner workers in all the corners.

So thanks to everyone involved and I will try to use the turn marshals less next time I visit. Some of the Atlanta drivers need to make the drive over for the next Fifth Saturday race. The fast guys may complain about how it is done and they can dominate the day, but that is nothing new. Come with an open mind and enjoy the day as it is done in Talladega. I am sure Red or someone will post the results.

• MSwiss and Samiam like this
Eddie Fleming

#2 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

"A bad day of racing is better than a good day staring at your dusty slot cars." 

• old & gray likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#3 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,576 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

You're not the only one who has launched in that spot.

After smashing into the bank it slides down to the gutter and gets T-boned by the guy at full punch in the gutter lane. :ambivalent:

All I can suggest is, test with the front wheels off. If it stops launching, you know where the problem is.
I know some insist the fronts in Retro should touch and roll all the time, but on some tracks with uneven braid recess you may need to run the flag a little deeper and let the fronts sit a little high, as a compromise.

Ask Red if he's ever had that problem; I'll bet he can help.
Paul Wolcott

#4 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

Just a side note.

The Red Fox guides on all three cars survived with no damage and no post in the shaft.
Eddie Fleming

#5 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

.After smashing into the bank it slides down to the gutter and gets T-boned by the guy at full punch in the gutter lane :ambivalent:

Sounds just like the track's namesake.
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,267 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

You're not the only one who has launched in that spot.
After smashing into the bank it slides down to the gutter and gets T-boned by the guy at full punch in the gutter lane :ambivalent:

That's why I left off the inside wall, on my King, from the end of the black drivers panel, to the end of the Bank.

It's going to be a "track" anyway, so it might as well slide on to the floor.
  • tonyp, Dallas Racer and RodneyZ like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,576 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

The only tracks I've ever launched on were older ones - never saw a car launch on your King, Mike. :)

But that was genius engineering on your part, as usual :good:
Paul Wolcott

#8 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 18,267 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

Cars don't launch in my bank, unless they are severely damaged, or you forget to put your guide nut back on, after a guide washer change, like Sano Dave did once with his Open 12 scale car.

He went almost halfway through the soft wall, and didn't damage his car.

Pretty impressive HP, considering the only other two cars to make it through were G7 wings.

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#9 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

Eddie:

The bank at the Talladega track is kind of tight and I'm not sure but it may be routed as a true radius (i.e. not elliptical) and therefore tends to make the car swing out sharply as it enters the turn.  I usually micro-blipped the bank which kept the car from tailing out sharply when hitting the bank.  If done properly it's actually faster than hitting it full punch and having the car tail out and scrub off speed, or worse yet deslotting and hitting the wall.  The rest of the track takes a bit of finesse but it's fun nonetheless.

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#10 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:34 PM

I appreciate it fellows but both cars were running fine and the launches happened after other damage to the cars. pretty much my fault.

This topic was intended to support the racing.

Eddie Fleming

#11 bluecars

bluecars

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

The first problem was Eddies Stock Car. He and I were trading 1st every few laps until he de slotted on the turn left of the drivers panel and ended up in my lane just as I was starting down the main straight. I'm sure it wasn't pretty, All I know is it was loud. Then on the start of the F-1 I jumped out with a good lead and de slotted before the bank and Eddie had no time to react. Sorry to say his car took the brunt of the damage. Must have bent mine just right, It never happened after that. Thanks for coming Eddie, Hope you had some fun anyway. Hope to see you in the future. Next 5th Sat Retro will be Sept. 30.

Robert "Red" Valantine :diablo: 

Electric Dreams Online Shop