• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

I followed this listing on ebay because it had a sidewinder version of the AYK chassis Tamiya used under their D-Type. The D-type version was inline and I've also seen it under early home set cars, which you can pic by the factory spray paint on the body.

vintage 1/24 slot car lot 60s ayk gosen brass parts mags

Anyway, I've got a Tamiya home set ferrari with the sidewinder version of this chassis. Until this eBay auction, I'd never seen another sidewinder one. The auction looks like it was for two of those sidewinder versions plus a bag of Revell cast wheels. Unless I'm mistaken about the wheels, then that means those chassis made about $100 each, when I figured they'd be a third of that. What am I missing?

s-l500.jpg

Regards,

Steve C
Stephen Corneille

#2 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

OK. Just got up to speed on the Photobucket ransom deal. Not much chance I'll be paying that as having changed their terms once, how could I ever trust them not to do it again!  

Funny thing, but now the download function won't let me copy my site down either.  Who'd have guessed? ;-)

Stephen Corneille

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Steve, one individual kept bidding those chassis up. More than 50%  of the bids came from this one person.

Bill Fernald

You have to be odd to be #1. :laugh2: 

#4 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

Stephen,

These chassis were not manufactured by AYK, they were made by Gosen for the Climax kits and also supplied for the Tamiya Jaguar. The Taimei chassis (not "Tamiya") also used in other Climax kits were also made by Gosen. The inline chassis for the Jag is identical, just a matter of how the parts were bolted together. The wheels are also Gosen, used in the same kits.

Here are two pictures, one of the Jag, the other of a Climax kit for the Ferrari 330P3.

j259_3.jpg

climax-ferrari-p3.jpg

(Picture courtesy Philippe Point)

#5 stevefzr

stevefzr

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hah!  It never occurred to me to check if the sidewinder and inline were the same.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Regards,

Steve C

Stephen Corneille

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,419 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

Actually Steve they are very slightly different; the inline version used by Tamiya does not have the die cut holes at its back used to assemble the sidewinder motor mounting bits.
But they come from the same basic die.
It is always difficult to figure what is what and by whom when 50 to 55 year old slot car bits from Japan come up for air, as they were so prolific for a mere 4 years.

Electric Dreams Online Shop