#1 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

Amazing there aren't more collisions.

Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 5.48.56 PM.png

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#2 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

Where did you get this pic?

The scale of the planes in the pic makes it look worse then it is.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#3 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:35 PM

I estimate the wingspan of the planes in the pic to be 86 miles. I based this on the plane over the Baja Peninsula.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#4 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:49 AM

I'm pretty certain that there is one plane missing over Co :(

#5 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

Where did you get this pic?

The scale of the planes in the pic makes it look worse then it is.

www.flightaware.com

Type in the airport's name, the city of the airport, airplane registration # (USA planes start with an "N") and off you go.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#6 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:06 PM

There are a lot of close calls. I live close to O'hare, and on any evening, after dark, I can count ten or more pairs

of landing lights lined up on final approach. On average, the planes are spaced about 30 seconds apart, but during 

peak times it can be much less. Of course, off peak, there may be several minutes between planes, so they slot in

the business and private jets which are not so loud. Arrivals and departures for runways 4/22R and 4/22L pass

right over my house, so I see and hear all the traffic. There have been a lot of families move away since the expansion

was started, and now they are going to add 2 more runways to handle more flights. Most residents say the taxes are

too high to have to endure all the racket. 

#7 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

Dave, I live near LAX but not under any landing/takeoff pattern. I am close enough I can see the approaches over West LA and Hollywood before they turn over downtown LA. I also get a lot of crossing traffic coming in from the southwest heading to the approach but they're 4000 feet + and not much noise.

I have counted as many as twelve different planes coming in for landing at LAX. I figure I'm seeing as far as 50 miles when that's the case.

When you count that adjacent to LAX (avaition-wise) are Santa Monica airport (SMO), where the elite Hollywood types keep their private planes, and Hawthorne/Northrup Field (HHR), where several charter air carriers and Space-X are based, there is a huge amount of flying machines about on any given day. Add to this, not too much father south than HHR is Zamperini Field (TOA) where Robinson Helicopter is based. Burbank Airport is not that farther north of LAX and then there's Van Nuys airport..... air traffic fun!

Posted Image

#8 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

It's the same situation here. There are private airports all over the metro Chi-town area. Plus all sorts of

commuter helicopter services. There is no time during the day when the sky is quiet of aircraft noise. Plus

on a day when there is a strong northeast wind we can actually smell the kerosene. And yet, if you get just

a few miles south of my house, there is hardly any noise because most of the planes have turned onto their

designated flight paths.

#9 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

I'm sure, Dave, from your perspective living near airports that have a lot of FAR-121 (scheduled air carrier operations) you may see a lot of "close calls." From the ground watching multiple aircraft on approaches into a busy terminal such as KORD near you is like watching an auto race on TV where telephoto camera lens tend to foreshorten distances between cars. “Oh my gosh, they’re so freaking close, they’re gonna crash!”

In the 1980’s I've flown FAR-135 (air-taxi, charter), based in Oregon, over most of the west and from Maine to Maryland, based out of Teterboro, NJ  mostly in the “system” (positive air traffic control). I obtained my ratings in the ‘70’s out of Long Beach, CA- busy, busy, busy. In my time I’ve flown general aviation single and multi recip powered aircraft into and out of KLAX, KJFK, KLGA KSFO, KSEA to name a few of the busier terminals I’ve been in and out of. (A buzz approaching these terminals when ATC requests maintaining a final approach airspeed not too much less than my aircraft’s cruising speed!)  But never had a “close call,” as you put it.

If my almost 80 yr old memory still serves, generally speaking in controlled air space below 10,000 it’s 3 NM horizontally sometimes more depending on the aircraft being separated, and 1000 feet vertically. FAR 121 and 135 pilots fully know and appreciate the separation drill. “Close calls” in controlled airspace are extremely serious matters and always are reported and investigated. Have you checked with the FAA and NTSB to see how many “close calls” have recently occurred at KORD? That airport has about seven runways which allow parallel approaches, landings, take offs and departures. Looks pretty “hairy,” I’ll agree.

My 1st into KSFO, R28R, 1980, in  a cessna 210.

R28R SFO.jpg

Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

#10 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

My reference to the close calls comes from news reports, not from my perspective. This includes ground traffic. There

seems to be, on average, two of these per month. I believe the approach horizontal into ORD is one mile. At least of

what I remember from the early meetings opposing the OMP. My town, along with many others around O'Hare have

been fighting the expansion of the airport since Richie Daley first envisioned it. We had a lot of numbers thrown at us

from the FAA and NTSB, including specs from Atlanta, Kennedy and LAX. They didn't get the point. As taxpayers, we

don't want the congestion. And I realize there hasn't been a serious incident, other than on board fires and the occational

spit turbine wheel, since flight 191. But as you increase traffic, you increase the odds of something bad happening.

By the way, I like airplanes. I even helped to restore a few. My mother signed up to fly bombers from O'Hare east during

WWII, but they pulled the program before she completed training. So she got her GA on her own.  

#11 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

"Seems," I understand.

Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

Electric Dreams Online Shop