• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

I will say to start I should probably not be the one to bring this question up. I have recently made the decision to stop flexi racing and only do retro.

I like the flexi cars and the way they run but I hate the body situation in this type racing. most notably in the GTP high down force racing. The bodies look like crap and they are so thin it is ridiculous.

Cut to the chase. I for one would do away with the high down force GTP bodies and just run wing car bodies on the current flexi cars. The wing size and shape might require some limiting. I think they look better than the current HDF bodies and would be more durable and easier to martial.

OK tell me how messed up I am 

Eddie Fleming

#2 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

I would hate to say it but I disagree with you, Eddie. 

Ralph Thorne, Red Fox, JK, and Parma all produce .007" GTP bodies that are both imminently competitive and are also attractive. In particular, the Red Fox Scale Fighter is a huge favorite at my shop where we race GTP. 

I would also say that - for appearance - I do prefer mid-downforce classes like our own Ohio Challenge Cup GT1 and Group 10, or for that matter the DTM saloon bodies used by ISRA in their Production class. Those are definitely more pleasing to the eye.

Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria, OH
Series Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#3 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

Retro is great!  Always a good choice to go for retro racing.

In terms of flexi racing, many flavors are offered.  We race flexi's with 4" stock cars bodies, LMP bodies, retro CanAm bodies, F1 and Indy bodies, retro Stock Car bodies, '34 Ford bodies, GTP high down force bodies and JK Super Truck Caterpillar bodies.  [The Super Trucks actually work pretty well.  We race them with flexi's on the king and flat track as well.]  Flexi racing is accessible to most racers where retro may present chassis issues...like learn to build your own or find a good source.   Wing bodies are great but require expertise in taping and fitting.  I've done tons of these and, honestly, I don't miss all the cutting and taping and fitting.  It's a bit of a chore and can be quite time consuming.   I thank Ralph Thorne for his latest GTP bodies as these are the "bomb" and only take minutes to cut and fit. 

Speaking only for myself, I could not care less what bodies "look like".  When painting I don't mask windows and am loathe to deal with any interiors unless absolutely required.  Bodies are an integral piece of determining on track performance, simply put, just another tool.  Utilize these tools to help make the overall toy car perform as well as possible.  These machines operate in the "toy car universe" and for me, have nothing to do with the Monterey Classic Car week. 

Mark Bauer

#4 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,400 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

At the risk of being a wise guy, I still can't find "the question"??

Paul Wolcott

#5 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

I like the flexi cars and the way they run but I hate the body situation in this type racing. most notably in the GTP high down force racing. The bodies look like crap and they are so thin it is ridiculous.

Cut to the chase. I for one would do away with the high down force GTP bodies and just run wing car bodies on the current flexi cars. The wing size and shape might require some limiting. I think they look better than the current HDF bodies and would be more durable and easier to martial.

OK tell me how messed up I am 

Just a cautionary note.

Attaching and reenforcing side dams on wing cars is an art. The separation between the "have's" and the have not's"  will be increased. We used to race a flexy chassis with a wing body and group 12 motor. It was a fun, fast, entry class with more motor than the chassis could handle running flat out.

One beginning racer didn't think he needed to reenforce/tape his side dams. They would lay out almost flat on the straight and provide enough down force / drag in the corners to make the car easy to drive. Unfortunately there were difficulties passing a 5 1/2 inch car, when he wouldn't let a faster racer by, the quicker car "pushed" by on the straight. The side dam of the faster car got under the side dam of the slower car and flipped the slow car into the infield.

Bob Schlain

#6 Kevin Donovan

Kevin Donovan

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

The new Flexi cars are great.
Way more bang for your buck than hand built cars, but GTP bodies have more downforce than is really necessary for 65/30 motors.
Some of the newer GT/LMP bodies like the R18 are more downforce than needed for these motors too.
The older style JK BMW is probably my favorite.
I would rather run something with less to put more emphasis on driving or better yet, run faster motor.
  • Rob Voska and Samiam like this

Electric Dreams Online Shop