14 replies to this topic

#1 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

I recently picked up a box for the K&B Ford GT Series 2 from a seller in Belgium, with two Ford GTs: one, an incomplete Series 1, and the other very similar, but with the Super Challenger motor: it has threaded wheels and the body seems to be the same. 

KB%20Ford%20GT%20Series%202%20box_zpsotx

KB%20Ford%20GT%20Series%202%20box%20and%

KB%20Ford%20GT%20Series%202%20body%20ins

I wanted to restore this as a real Series 2, but am having trouble finding the exact specs: according to the LASCM site, which has one (or more) MIB, the body was modified to fit the motor (like on the Cobra GT), but looking at the body, it doesn't seem necessary. And the box announced Posi-Lok wheels, as I would expect, but one of the boxes on the site shows a threaded front axle and what looks like four threaded wheels - but the following photo, supposedly of the same car, shows a plain axle and four Posi-Lok wheels! 

So, what does the real Series 2 look like, Is the body modified at all? Do any have threaded wheels, or all with Posi-Lok? 

Any help appreciated - once again a seemingly easy restoration that gets curioser and curioser... 

cheers, 

Don 

#2 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

I too am waiting to hear the answers to your questions but what I can say about the Super Challenger motor , is that it did come with threaded axles at some point. I was lucky enough to find 2 of these motors New in the Box and they both had threaded axles.  The Ford GT bodies that I have don't look like they  needed any modification to accommodate the Super Challenger but maybe there is an earlier version ? I suspect that K&B used whatever axles & wheels  they had in stock and switched them as supplies became available, but I have  no proof. It was common for companies to advertise the latest improvements and then become unable to supply the products as advertised. I built up a BZ Chaparral exactly like the road test in a model car magazine , only to discover the production version used different parts.

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

I know what you mean Gary - the preview version are often different from the production versions. 

As for the Super Challenger, I've had about a dozen new ones come through my hands at various points (they were really cheap 20 years ago!), and theyre all with threaded axles. Just looked at my K&B Ferrari P2, which came new in the kit box (unassembled, but not sealed), and the Super Challenger motor has a plain axle. So I would assume the Series 2 Cobra and Ford GT motor does also, but we don't know for sure - maybe the early ones had threaded axles on the motor.  

What they don't say is that the Posi-Lok wheels are actually a PITA: they go on pretty easily, but it's hard to get them off without futzing around! You loosen the nut, but the sleeve in the wheel doesn't get the message and keeps hanging on for dear life! You've got to give the wheel a loving tap to free it up... 

Don 

• Frank Godbey and Mattb like this

#4 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

Removing these wheels and others like Cox tapered ones can be done easily if you make up a simple tool to back up the wheel . I usually start with a scrap of steel about 1/16 " thick and drill a 1/8" hole in it. Then I hacksaw from the edge so that I have a 1/8" slot. I slip the slotted steel behind the wheel,across the open jaws of a vise, loosen the nut a turn or two and then using a small piece of wood to protect the wheel , I give a sharp rap with the hammer and off they come. With Cox wheels I remove the nut and replace it with a standard nut 3/48,

loose on the thread and I hit this nut, so I don't mess up the original nut.

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

Thanks Gary, sounds very clever! 

Don 

#6 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

Since the series 2 box says it comes with Posi-Lok wheels and a super challenger motor, and since you have the body already and it needs no modification, and you don't have any different bodies,  you might as well build up a series 2 version. If it turns out in the future that it's not right, you can always change it.

#7 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:21 AM

That's what I'm doing Gary - but still haven't decided on posi-lok or threaded wheels! According to PdL on another forum, it only came with threaded wheels, despite what it says on box, because the wider posi-lok wheels wouldn't fit under the body... Not totally convinced yet, but all the evidence isn't in! 

In any case, have to paint and detail the body first, and that should take quite awhile! 

Don 

#8 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:33 AM

I just took a Super Challenger motor and fitted it with a wide posi-lok wheel and an original tire on the wide commutator side and it will fit the Ford GT body that I have, though there is little room to spare. I see in your photo , a built up chassis, not sure which wheels and tires it has, but will it fit either of your bodies and do you see and difference in the bodies?

#9 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:53 AM

The chassis as shown has the threaded wheels it came with (spongies on the rear obviously); since then I've put on Posi-Loks and they fit with the original narrower rear tire - with the larger one as on the other later K&B cars, it might be a bit tighter. No difference that I can see in the two bodies that came with the box - saved the better one for this car. 

Don 

#10 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

The widest rear posi-lok wheels that I have, that take the Ford GT wire wheel hub,  measure around 3/8" wide, the tire is 9/16" x 1- 3/16 dia. I think what we need is a scan of the series 2 instruction sheet. I've been searching through my parts and it seems the plain rear axle with the C clip groove is unique and hard to find.

#11 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,874 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 03:46 AM

Gary, for what it's worth, the Series 2 box that I got came with an instruction sheet for the Series 1 cars and a sheet for the Super Challenger... we'll have to ask Scott to open up one of his mint boxes and look at the sheet!

Don  

#12 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:37 PM

I just went searching for any instruction sheets that I have , and came across the Ferrari  250 GTO/64 sheet dated 1965, which shows posi-lok wheels with the super challenger. At one time the VSRN had some instructions online but I couldn't find them recently.

#13 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:41 AM

Someone just posted this on a Facebook site. It was included in the K&B Sportsman Racer along with a key looking tool to loosen the nut. I am not sure how to straighten the image but maybe our fearless moderator can help. It is a bit hard to read sideways but it does outline how K&B recommended posi-lok wheel removal.

Attached Images

• K&B sportsman.jpg

#14 Gary Bluestone

Gary Bluestone

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:21 AM

trying to straighten photo

Attached Images

• K&B sportsman.jpg

#15 don.siegel