Why mail order?

52 replies to this topic

#51 Markomatic

Markomatic

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

Great question John. In my experience many track owners I have known came into it with the idea that they didn't care what their customers wanted. They were sure that they knew what their customers should have. Only cars with 16d's, Only stock cars. only hard bodies. Needless to say they did not last long. They forget that they are offering a service to the customer. The customer sets what they need to have fun. if the local raceway does not service the customer they will either go to the track down the road or do mailorder.

• Mike K likes this
Mark Miller

#52 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:15 PM

Great question John. In my experience many track owners I have known came into it with the idea that they didn't care what their customers wanted. They were sure that they knew what their customers should have. Only cars with 16d's, Only stock cars. only hard bodies. Needless to say they did not last long. They forget that they are offering a service to the customer. The customer sets what they need to have fun. if the local raceway does not service the customer they will either go to the track down the road or do mailorder.

Lucky Bob's over in Milwaukee got 30-40 racers every Friday night for Hardbody FCR's with S16D's for years and years, but could only get 4-8 for flexi NASCAR on the same night with Falcon 7 motors. Best of all they started at 9:30 at night. None of it made sense until I saw that was what worked for his customers.

Matt Sheldon

#53 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

It's true that hobby mail-order is not new. In the '60s and '70s, there was an east coast mail order house that had incredibly

low prices on hobby supplies. When a friend got a commercial track given to him, there were no local tracks left and the

hobby shops had stopped selling slot cars. So we saw the ad for a place called Sal Marino Hobbies. They had Dynamics

RTR cars for $3.95. So we ordered a bunch, and used them as our spec cars. A couple years later, when I became involved

in O-Scale model railroading, Marino had Atlas ore cars 10 for $10. They were $12.95 each at the hobby shop. I don't know

where they got the cars at a low enough wholesale price that they could sell them so cheap. There were a lot of items they

had which were offered at 10% to 20% of retail. Pretty hard not to take advantage of those prices. 

Electric Dreams Online Shop