• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

Ok, I have been scouring Slot Blog and reading up on the Thingie/outlaw  builds of the 60s. Thanks for Mr. Don Siegel and others on here for unearthing some of the archives with some great articles in them. :clapping:

I think this will be the FIRST of my wire /brass chassis series  I will attempt to build for the reasons of:

#1 These seem to be made of a more basic wire,tube,"what ever" construction. Something for me to start out on to help me learn the craft of bending,soldering, squareness,clearances,ETC ..... Much less threatening to an amateur  scratch builder like myself.(We will save those more intricate piano wire,brass pan,angle winder chassis for a little down the road. ;) )

#2 Cause they are just SOOOO friggen cool !!!!!! :dirol:

#3 Anything racing associated with the words "outlaw" ,"banned"  ,"off scale" ....... count me in !!!! ;) :victory:

Ok, now for some more details. Although I am learning history of these cars,it also seems like reading these blogs only adds to my questions about starting a build also.

* getting flame suit out now to survive replies *

What I have seen so far:

I am gathering the San Fran/west coast  cars were mostly of a Choti body with an inline motor/axle bracket probably a 26D motor or a 16D based,NO 36Ds? Still pretty basic chassis though. 

The Detroit cars would be more likely  of the Shinoda bodies? Were they mostly ALL built in Detroit   on those Dynamic aluminum motor brackets in a "slider"  configuration,or did they also use the regular brass brackets  and build similar to their west coast cousins also??? (I have seen cars by Jarius on here made in that "slider" configuration.)  Still a version of some sort of brand/custom arm wind 16D or 26D motor?

At this point what I have is a Shinoda body. Axles,gears, and a questionable motor bracket. I am reading mostly of  using 1/16" track clearance,3" to 3 1/4" width.(My body is 3" in wide)  Up for build advise,motor suggestions,parts to use,what ever needed. (Would the Shinoda body dictate a DETROIT build????)

Hoping this post will also stimulate some more conversations,debates, flat out arguments, on the old 60s competition thingies/outlaw cars from the guys who actually built them and raced them .  :)

Michael J. Boruff

#2 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

Ideas here:

"Balls-Out California Choti Proxy" official rules

• slotbaker and mike1972chev like this

- WDzqYLKlZcbyIJAbLTxE.png