Photo

Tom Scott winning bidders: please read this!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

Tom and I have been discussing how best to handle the conclusion of these auctions and here's what we've decided to do. And hopefully everyone will have empathy for why we've chosen this approach.

Tom will be shipping all of the cars to me and I will handle receipt of the payments and the shipping of the cars to the winning bidders. We've just finalized the arangement today so it will be a few days before I receive the cars. Once they're in my possession, I will contact the winning bidders asking for their payments to be transmitted to me. 

Shipping within the US will be by US Postal Service Priority Mail flat-rate boxes and I expect most cars will fit into the small flat-rate box, although one of two may need the medium box. I can promise you the cars will be well-packed and sealed.

Shipping to any non-US winning bidder will be by the winner's method of choice at his cost.

USPS Priority Mail includes a certain level of insurance but if a winning bidder wishes more insurance than is included, that will be at their cost. It'll take me a few days to gather the info to be able to quote shipping and insurance costs, so I ask your patience.

We're asking for payments to be remitted via PayPal if at all possible, to a PayPal address I will provide, with the transfer being made as a donation so as to incur no PayPal fees. If PayPal is not possible, payment via other methods can be arranged. Winners will need to wait until I contact them with the final total before sending their funds. I hope it goes wihout saying that the funds collected on Tom's behalf will be sent directly to him.

Please do not contact Tom Scott regarding a car you have won, as he has more than enough on his plate, as does his wife Pati.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via Slotblog PM or via email to greg@slotblog.net and I will respond as promptly as I possibly can. We've intentionally spread out the posting of the cars so as not to be overwhelmed by having a bunch of auctions all end on the same day.

Thanks to everyone who has bid on this collection of cars. And thanks to Tom for so graciously offering them to the Slotblog members first.

• Jairus, Pablo, hiline2 and 8 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thanks, Greg!!!

• Cheater likes this
Thomas J Scott
???-2018
Requiescat in Pace[/size]

#3 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

God bless, Tom.

This must be very, very difficult.

• Cheater likes this
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#4 JRE

JRE

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

Thanks... happy to help and to have won the bid on a great-lookin' car.

J.R.Ewing
Posted Image
 ~ 5150 RACING ~

#5 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:36 PM

Amazing collection, Tom. Not a happy occasion, but it's great that they're going to good homes!

Eddie

• JRE likes this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:42 PM

One minor change... I folded up one of the USPS PM small flat-rate boxes yesterday and I now don't believe many of these cars will fit into the small flat-rate box, but I'm pretty sure the medium flat-rate box will work for all of them.

I'm going to check costs for First Class and will keep everyone informed.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

Good choice on the medium flat rate box, Greg. Adds extra room for packing these gems carefully.  https://store.usps.c...ductId=P_O_FRB1

Mailing cost about $12.40 plus any added insurance for those wishing this like myself. For first class boxes, the 4x4x8" box is a good choice if you have a box store near you to purchase from. I've shipped many low cost cars this way coast to coast (without insurance) for $4.99 and under.  I would highly recommend insurance for any buyer of these cars.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:00 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the advice. I simply don't ship stuff very often now. For years, when I was a working stiff, my employer was a high-volume UPS and FedEx shipper and I simply handed anything I wanted sent to the shipping dept and they did it for me, at the significantly discounted rates a company shipping more than a hundred packages an average day gets.

Can you speak to what the cost of shipping a single slot car in a 4x4x8" box First Class is likely to be? I'm not wedded to PM flat-rate, but it does take the weight out of the equation and you don't have to buy boxes (which are quite sturdy to boot).

Also have no idea how time in transit compares between PM and First Class. Is there a significant difference?

A little guidance from you guys who ship a lot of stuff would be welcome.

Gregory Wells

#9 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

Greg,

Assuming you're not shipping a lead sled, I've shipped several cars first class from California to Florida, Ohio, New Jersey without insurance in the $4.50 range.  If I use the same box and ship it Priority Mail, it will get you delivery a day or two earlier and may cost me $8.00. You get the standard $50 insurance with that. Extra insurance is not that expensive to add.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#10 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

Greg, I always like to use Priority on anything valued at over $100. It may be a fantasy in my mind but I would like to believe they get handled better than first class.

The included insurance coverage varies from location to location. Don't know why but it's a post office thing. 

I've sent thousands of packages and never had to make a claim, but there is always a chance.

I would suggest (some may balk at this) that all winners pay the full insurance value to protect everyone.

Also, one must be very careful sending packages to Spain, Brazil, Italy, and some others. I often have problems with these locations with scammers and such.

I would also suggest (and people will surely balk at this) that anything overseas should go Priority insured. If not, who will bear the responsibility for any loss or damage?

Well, many will dislike these suggestions but it is a reality in today's world.

Lastly, I would like to say in a world that includes crazy little fat guys with bombs, crazy hateful liberals, etc., It's good to know there are still some good old boys like you in this world.

• Jairus and Half Fast like this

Joe Lupo

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Lastly, I would like to say in a world that includes crazy little fat guys with bombs, crazy hateful liberals, etc., It's good to know there are still some good old boys like you in this world.

Joe, thanks for the shipping advice.

Growing to adulthood in the home of a minister who showed by example that helping others is just about the most satisying thing in life, it's hard for me to be any other way.

And since he kept me and my two younger sibs from being sent to the orphanage when I was 12 (by raising us as if we were his children), I feel like I have to sort of "pay it forward" when the opportunity presents itself.

• Horsepower and eshorer like this

Gregory Wells

#12 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

Too many packages disappearing from mailboxes and porches lately in my neighborhood. I'll choose to insure, and hope it doesn't happen. I want that car!!!   :-)

Eddie

I would suggest (some may balk at this) that all winners pay the full insurance value to protect everyone.

Also, one must be very careful sending packages to Spain, Brazil, Italy, and some others. I often have problems with these locations with scammers and such.

I would also suggest (and people will surely balk at this) that anything overseas should go Priority insured. If not, who will bear the responsibility for any loss or damage?

Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

#13 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

Eddie,

It's kind of a hassle but you can also ask for a signature required on the receiving end.

#14 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,869 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

Let me answer a question I've received from several people...

If you win multiple cars, my preference is to send them all to you in a single shipment. That is less work for me and less postage cost for you. And that's what most wanted anyway.

Winning bidders will not be invoiced until the cars are ready to be shipped on my end and only after we have communicated how you wish them shipped and whether you wish to purchase additional insurance.

As of this post, 15 of the 45 cars listed at auction have closed. And I think Tom has some more to list.

Two are headed for Australia and one to Italy.

Thnaks to everyone who has bid on this great collection.

Gregory Wells

#15 JRE

JRE

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

Too many packages disappearing from mailboxes and porches lately in my neighborhood. I'll choose to insure, and hope it doesn't happen. I want that car!!!   :-)

Eddie,

If you want... you can have them ship to my office. That is where mine is going to come to.

I have everything shipped here, and our runner goes to the PO to pick up the mail each AM.

Then I can get it to you, either on a practice night, or FarrOut, or D3 races.

Just a thought.

JRE

J.R.Ewing
Posted Image
 ~ 5150 RACING ~

#16 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:08 PM

There are actually quite a few that will be yet to come.

If God continues to bless me with these "extra" days and I can get by some more surgery I have coming up and Greg is still willing to put up with me.... I still have quite a few to sell

We are talking about posting some groups of parts and some nice rollers as well.

Once again thanks for everyone's help with this.

God bless you all.

• Cheater, Half Fast, mike1972chev and 1 other like this
Thomas J Scott
???-2018
Requiescat in Pace[/size]

#17 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:50 AM

God bless you, Tom! 

Gary Stelter

#18 John Odell

John Odell

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

I am looking forward to paying for these cars and appreciate all the work done by you guys to help Tom. Thank you.

John

#19 John Odell

John Odell

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Greg, 

I received my first box Priority Mail. All good, no damages, good packing job.

Thanks.

John Odell
  • Cheater likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop