14 replies to this topic

#1 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hello Slotters,

​New on the Slotblog fourm here but have bought, built, raced and collected new and vintage slots from age 13, 1968, and still going. 

I'm wanting to ID my first slot car other than the old American Raceways Rentals back in the days. I was lucky enough to have a large raceway here in Nashville, TN, only five miles from home. Harding Mall Grand Prix owned by the Hall family. Five tracks all brand new, black, yellow, red, orange and the old 220 Purple Mile... Yes, I was a very lucky young man.

The car i'm hoping to find info and pictures of is a Champion Indy or F1 type car with the Champion inline soldered chassis, 26D, 601 motor with a white body with silver exhaust. I was a RTR car and to be honest I really want to locate (if possible) and build back my first car. I have the chassis and 601 but can't remember the finer details of the car, like tires, gears, wheels, and even what the make that body was. I really want my old car back. (:

It's been a lot of years folks and I hope someone can help. I've read several posts and must say I'm very impressed with the knowlage and info on this forum! I'm just not much of a computer guy but sure love reading just how knowlageble you guys are, you've refired an old spark I've had for going on 50 years!

Thank you!!!

If you can help it would surely be appreciated...

Ole Ben

• Geary Carrier likes this

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,423 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

Ben,

Check your PMs.

I started racing at Harding Mall Grand Prix in 1968 as well, but I lived a little farther away, on Burton Valley Road, parallel to Harding Place between Granny White and Hillsboro Rd. We probably raced together there at some point.

Small world, as they say!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

Reply on its way! Very small world, amazing!!

Thanks,

ole Ben

#4 bradblohm

bradblohm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

Probably the Honda 3L. I have the Ferrari but not the Honda. I have the Russkit Honda, but not sure who made the Champion version.

Good luck!

Edit: Pictures on the Electric Dreams website of the Champion. I also have the Testor's version, but again no idea on the Champion body supplier.

Brad Blohm

#5 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the help, Brad! I'll jump on over and check the pics. out. Everything no matter how little helps more than you may know. After all I'm searching for parts of a car that I don't think you see alot of and may not ever find, but I'm gona try!.

Thanks again,

Ben

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,516 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:40 PM

The Champion Honda (likely "Ole Ben's" car) came with either a Lancer or a Russkit body, the most commonly found sporting the Russkit body.
The one below has the Lancer body. 

ch113.jpg

ch113_1.jpg

ch113_2.jpg

Please note that the decals are by Dynamic... as by that time, the Van Nuys company was likely very happy to sell a stack of them to anyone, as business was no longer paying the bills...

The soldered wire chassis was made in Japan and could be either bright nickel plated or had a goldish tint in the plating.

Early 1968 production had the Champion "601" motor, a "selected" stock Mabuchi FT26. By early 1969 and to improve sagging sales, the car received a higher performance "607" motor, "American made" with Japanese-supplied parts. This means that the motor bits were assembled in Chamblee, but the "American made" claim on adverts was a bit off, as Bob Rule himself, who by that time owned the company, was apparently unaware of where the parts came from as they were supplied by a broker dealing with the company...

In later days, the Russkit body was painted white with the engine group in plain silver, and no decals were either applied or even supplied in the box. Unlike the Lancer body, the Russkit used plated plastic intake stacks that were glued with contact cement on each side of the exhaust system.

Here is a picture of the car in kit form with a red Russkit body but painted the same way as the white RTR was:

ch173.jpg

Note that the kit is supplied with extra "sports car" body mounts and the stock "601", AKA Mabuchi FT26 motor with added endbell mounting holes and a Champion sticker.

I will be back at the LASCM in mid-October and will shoot pictures of the RTR car with the white Russkit body for you.
  • Geary Carrier likes this

#7 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Well Dokktor,

About all I can say is that I'm just flat blown away at the info, pictures, and know-how that you have been kind enough to supply and share here! The fact is that even though you don't know me from Adam, I've been a huge fan of yours for years and years, even back in the '70s. Seems everywhere I read now and in the past year you've been there, mags, posts, builds, races, just everywhere! Just flat out and to the point knowlage and opinion !

Very much looking forward to the pictures after your visit to LASCM!!

With much respect and thanks,

Yea, It's me,

Ole Ben

• Samiam and elvis44102 like this

#8 chaparrAL

chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Dokk. 

Will LASCM be open week of the Checkpoint?

Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

#9 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,516 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

I do not know.

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,516 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

For Ben Morrow, I was able to find the two examples of the Honda with the Russkit body today, so this are the two ways they were painted, and it appears that yours was the "naked " example. Please note that both boxes contain a small baggie with a small flat wrench and two black sponge donuts to glue and true over the wheels once the original tires are worn. For the "naked" example, no decals but the plated plastic injector stacks are in the small baggie. I hope that this helps you restore your own car properly.

First, the one completely decorated. Interestingly it appears that it was issued last, not first, according to details on the box.

champion_honda_rtr_boxed_decor.jpg

champion_honda_rtr_boxed_decor_1.jpg

champion_honda_rtr_boxed_decor_2.jpg

Now, the one that likely was the same example as you had:

champion_honda_rtr_boxed_plain.jpg

champion_honda_rtr_boxed_plain_1.jpg

champion_honda_rtr_boxed_plain_2.jpg

I believe that Electric Dreams has replica bodies of this Russkit Honda, in the proper period material.

• Cheater and Geary Carrier like this

#11 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hello Dokktor,

First off, sorry for not responding untill now. This past weekend there were important family matters that needed my full attention. My wife, and I celebrated our 27th anniversary along with family. Also my one-year liver transplant anniversary!  :D  Yep it was a new liver on the same day as last years anniversary. So we had big get-together and how very blessed I am to have such a family!

Thank you very much for the research and info!  You have mentioned the first and then newer version of this car. Is it possible to tell what year each of these RTRs hit the shelf for purchase? I'm pretty sure my first car had decals and I don't seem to remember the bag with tires and stacks inside. I pulled that beautiful (in my eye) car out off the box, set it on the track, and was hooked for life..

Your opinion please.

Again, thanks,

Ole Ben

#12 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hi Dokktor,

I jumped over to Electric Dreams and checked all vintage bodies and can't seem to find the Russkit Honda, maybe on eBay some day?? I may be waiting a while! :o

#13 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,516 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

PM me please.

#14 Ben Morrow

Ben Morrow

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

Hey Guy's,

I Just wanted to through out a special thanks to everyone that helped, posted, PM's on this hunt for help, info and parts!  I now have all parts needed to complete my project the Champion Honda along with some very cool pictures to go by.

Special Thanks to Dokktor and Cheater fo their info and help, couldn't happen without these guys and Slotblog !!

Thanks again,

Ole Ben

#15 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 41,516 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

Happy to have been of some help.

Electric Dreams Online Shop