8 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

This past weekend was a very busy one for me, as I judged at the second Atlanta Concours d'Elegance. On Sunday I left home before 6 AM to drive to another town to pick up my 88-year old best man to bring him to judge the show and had to return him home afterwards. A long day it was...  Then yesterday I babysat for my two-year old grandson Griffin about half the day and got home a bit before midnight.

During these days, Tom sent me a large number of pics of cars to post, maybe as many as 30-35 cars.

I'm working hard at processing the new cars he has sent for posting, but I have to be very deliberate in terms of organizing the pics, and logging the closed auctions and the new anonymous bids into my spreadsheets. 

I believe I have figured out the shipping options and acquired the needed boxes (thanks much to Butch Dunaway for a large quantity of these!) and should be contacting the winning bidders shortly with that info and to start invoicing them as well.

With a collection of this size, I simply have to work on small pieces at a time or I'll get off track and overwhelmed.

Just wanted everyone to know that the process is occurring; I'm grinding away at it bit by bit but the scale of the endeavor will make this a fairly lengthy process.

Your understanding and patience will be appreciated!

• DOCinCocoa, Tim Wilkins and Humbolt like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

Greg, you have always done a great job with Slotblog.  :clapping: 

• Cheater, SlowBeas, Half Fast and 2 others like this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#3 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

It's nice you are doing this and the time line is understandable. Everyone should understand.
  • Cheater and Humbolt like this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#4 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Greg,

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. You do more for us Slotbloggers than we deserve.

You've earned all the patience and understanding you need.

An 88 year old followed by a two year old... Now that's pushing the edges of the envelope! :laugh2:
  • Cheater, Jairus, Mattb and 1 other like this

#5 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Greg,

I am absolutely convinced that God put us together to work on this project
I don't know if you'll ever realize how much you are helping me.
I really appreciate it and need the help which you give so freely.

Thank you a million times over.

• Cheater, Samiam, Tim Wilkins and 1 other like this
Thomas J Scott
1955-2018
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

Slotbloggers,

I need to update everyone with what's going on behind the scene regarding this sad sale.

I've really been thinking hard about the best shipping arrangements and have kind of been blindsided by what has happened with the winning bids.

Shipping boxes for single cars tuned out to be surprisingly expensive. The local office supply vendor wants $7.95 for four single-car size corrugated boxes! Fortunately a wonderful Slotblog member sent me about 60 perfectly-sized corrugated boxes for the cost of shipping them to me. I've been folding and double-taping them with the good 3M heavy-duty stuff.

boxes.jpg

The blindside has been that more than half of the bidders have won more than one car. One left-coaster has taken nine cars... so far! There are four going to Australia and one to Italy.

Here's the scenario...

Single cars can go USPS First Class Mail Package Service (so-called only since Sept 1), which works for up to 13 ounces. Same carded delivery time as Priority Mail, 1-3 days, with tracking as best I can tell. I had hoped to be able to strap multiple single-car boxes together but that isn't feasible because the 13 ounce weight limit for this class of shipping won't work for most two-car (or more) shipments.

Within the US, the best option for sending multiple cars seems to be USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate box. The 6-inch thick PM FRB is will work for 5-6 cars at a very reasonable shipping cost per car.

I know it might seem like I've been slack, but Tom's collection was quite a bit larger than I anticipated. As of this post, I still have 14 cars/chassis/motors remaining to post, with with 22 still active and 53 already closed. That's 89 items, if I have added correctly/

cars.jpg

This is only two of the five boxes of cars that Tom has shipped to me!

The idea is to complete this sale before Thanksgiving if at all possible. I appreciate everyone's patience with me regarding the process of getting these great slot cars to new owners.

Thanks to all the winning and future bidders and I promise I will contact you soon to let you know how much and where to remit.

• Jairus, slotbaker, Humbolt and 1 other like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

Greg,

I can't tell you how much this means to me.

I'm so grateful to you and all of the other blogger's that have made purchases or helped us in many other ways.
I should have let you know how many cars there were before we started but hindsight is always 20-20.
I'm certain that everyone understands the challenges you face and will help you all they can.

I'm saying a special prayer for all of you tonight.

Thanks again!

• Cheater, Racer36, Samiam and 3 others like this
Thomas J Scott
1955-2018
Requiescat in Pace

#8 John Odell

John Odell

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

If it helps at all, I can total and itemize my winning bids and send the funds as soon as you contact me to do so. If it takes till thanksgiving I am OK with that time frame.  I thought I was done,  but now I see one more I  expect to bid on.  You can ship me multiple cars at a time if there is room in the boxes for more than one.  I think the insurance is a good idea and worth the small fee.

Thank you,

John Odell

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,927 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

John,

I have a spreadsheet with all the auction results info, including winning bidder's addresses, that I keep current. And I've finally figured out the shipping arrangements for US-based winners so as not to have to calculate shipping for each indvidual package. Most winners have bought multiple cars and that has been a little complication.

In any event, there maybe ten more cars and items to post and a few more than that that haven't closed yet. Ultimately, we're looking at roughly 90 items and managing this process for that number is the biggest issue. I just am going slow and trying not to make too many mistakes.

• olescratch likes this

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop