11 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:51 AM

...in progress.  By far, boring the ID is the worst part, and that hasn't begun.  Even large drill bits (at least larger than 3/8" with 1/4" shanks) don't help being too long.  Anyway, #3 is at least started.  Now to put it aside and get some "regular" motor and armature work done.

IMG_2245.JPG

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Tex and 5 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:09 PM

Another Super Silver Monster begins!  :wizard:

• havlicek likes this
John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

All the lathe work is complete, so it's on to the mill.  I've kept modifying my carbide boring bar so that I can play with it's geometry, and how I mount it, to get the ID done in two steps.  Much easier to control, and a better finish inside there...not that the finish inside the can matters all that much.  This one is also as thin on the bearing end as I can probably make it with the tools I have and while avoiding disaster :)

ID is about dead-bang for the nifty JK aluminum end bell
IMG_2254.JPG

After milling, last thing will be to open up the can hole for a 5mm bearing.  Pictured here resting on my lucky Ferret allen wrench  :D
IMG_2255.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

• miko, boxerdog, Samiam and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#4 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

Soon you may not need to look for cans to build with, you'll be making them. Have you tried any other sizes, or plan to?
  • havlicek and C. J. Bupgoo like this
John Stewart

#5 MarkH

MarkH

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:28 PM

John, just some Toolmaker advise here. Leave about .010" on the bore depth. After the ID is finished to size take a clean up pass on the bore depth. When you get about .020" from the ID bore finish turn off the motor and pull the chuck by hand slowly until you are at the finished ID. Disengage the power feed and pull the chuck another 3-5 revolutions. This will leave a nice finish in the corner.

keep up the good work.

Mark Horne

SERG - www.slotcarenduro.club
"Racing is life... everything else is just waiting." Steve McQueen - LeMans
There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:35 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advise, much appreciated!  On the last part, I always leave the powerfeed off anyway...because I don't have one!  :)

• elvis44102 likes this
John Havlicek

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

Soon you may not need to look for cans to build with, you'll be making them. Have you tried any other sizes, or plan to?

I will try a smaller size when I get a different end bell.  Down the road sometime, I'd also like to do a flat style can, but that would be something to wait on until after I get some other doo-dads.  Meanwhile, I'm having plenty of fun and learning doing these.  After the first one, I thought this is NOT something I'd be doing very often, but getting a grip on how to proceed, as well as some of the limitations of my lathe and figuring how to make things go easier has made the process faster and a little less painful.

#3 is done:

IMG_2257.JPG
IMG_2258.JPG
IMG_2259.JPG

• slotbaker, proptop, Half Fast and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#8 MarkH

MarkH

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:11 AM

My only thought was to eliminate the small amount of chatter I see in the corner. A smoother finish will reduce the stress concentrators and perhaps improve the longevity of your project.

Looks like fun.

• havlicek likes this

Mark Horne

There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#9 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:48 AM

My only thought was to eliminate the small amount of chatter I see in the corner. A smoother finish will reduce the stress concentrators and perhaps improve the longevity of your project.

Looks like fun.

I really DO appreciate any info/advise Mark!  I'm flying by the seat of my pants here.  I don't even have a bandsaw (*which would be awfully nice for cutting the slugs!) or a bench grinder!  :)

John Havlicek

#10 MarkH

MarkH

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

You are doing great. I have been working with machine equipment for 40 years. Projects like your are what it is all about. You will develop skills through mistakes and following good advise.

One thing to keep in mind, there are many ways to reach the same end. One person's technique may not be the best for another when it comes to machining. Listen to all the advise, take what you can use and what makes the most sense to you. This will put you miles ahead of those who know it all, or at least think they do. :-)

• havlicek likes this

Mark Horne

#11 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

I really DO appreciate any info/advise Mark!  I'm flying by the seat of my pants here.  I don't even have a bandsaw (*which would be awfully nice for cutting the slugs!) or a bench grinder!  :)

That sounds like a prelude to another tool acquisition.....

• havlicek likes this
David Cummerow

#12 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

You are doing great. I have been working with machine equipment for 40 years. Projects like your are what it is all about. You will develop skills through mistakes and following good advise.

One thing to keep in mind, there are many ways to reach the same end. One person's technique may not be the best for another when it comes to machining. Listen to all the advise, take what you can use and what makes the most sense to you. This will put you miles ahead of those who know it all, or at least think they do. :-)

Gotcha Mark...and thanks again!

That sounds like a prelude to another tool acquisition.....

Not anywhere in the immediate future Dave.  The way space is, it would have to go on a shelf except for the times I'd need to drag it down to use it.  You wouldn't believe how much space it takes just to do these little motors.

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop