9 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

I was watching the post-race interviews after the NASCAR race today, and Jamie McMurray remarked about how the substance they sprayed in the turns worked really well, up to a point, and then the grip went away. This got me to thinking about the New Hampshire race a couple of weeks ago. During it, the commentators were talking about the stuff that NASCAR had sprayed in the turns, hoping to widen the groove, and allow two lanes of racing. I know they've used a traction compound at NHRA races for years. Is NASCAR using the same stuff? Does anyone have any idea on how i should Google this? I doubt that NASCAR refers to the practice as "gluing the track". :D

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#2 old & gray

old & gray

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

PJ-1 TrackBite (maybe?).

Bob Schlain

#3 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

Yes, PJ-1 Trackbite.

We used to call it VHT.

Same stuff they use on drag strips. Comes to the track in 55 gal. drums. Very expensive, I've spoken with the owner of PJ-1, ...very interesting. 

The concept of 'gluing' a lane is not new. Back in the good old days when Winston and Coca-Cola were big time sponsors you got free stuff from them.

Winston would send all the paint you needed as long as it was Winston Red.

Coke would send you 'extra' Coke syrup and smart track owners used it as a (bio-degradable) traction compound.

The Coke syrup came in 55 gal. drums and the red paint came in 5 gal pails... lots of them.

Winston bought the new $7,500 Daktronics scoreboard as long as it had their lighted Winston sign at the top.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#4 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

It's true that we used to use cola syrup on the big cars. We used to get it in gallon cans from the local soda fountain.

One local dragstrip banned its use. It seems that early in the morning, before anyone made a run, the start area would be covered with bees, and the track staff couldn't service the christmas tree.

• Cheater, Samiam and Eddie Fleming like this

#5 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

I know that the RC guys use to spray cola syrup on the parking lot in front of the Hobbytown USA in Fresno where Fred Hood and the rest of the Fresno Slot Car Gang and I used to run the slot car track.

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

#6 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the info on the PJ-1 Trackbite, I appreciate it.

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#7 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

A little caution here; don't use Trac-bite where there is a lot of sand or dust on the track surface. 

Case in point: In 1990 the Chicago region of the Austin-Healey club hosted Conclave, which is the

AHCA's national meet. Since Austin-Healeys were going to be the featured marque at the VSCDA

Fall Festival at R/A, I was able to talk the AHCA upper management to hold a race at Blackhawk

Farms as part of Conclave, and they agreed, as long as I chaired it. I made it clear in all pre-event

info that slicks would not be allowed. This to keep the SCCA H-Prod guys from dominating all the

other Sprites. Sure enough, a guy shows up from the west coast with a highly modified Sprite on

racing slicks. He said he didn't have any other tires, so I took a vote of the other entrants and they

agreed to let him run on the slicks. He then proceeded to paint his tires with VHT. When he went out

on the track for his first practice session, he spun off in turn one. and he was no where near full chat.

His tires had picked up a coating of sand from the approach road to the pit lane, and he ended up

with less stick than if he had run the tires naturally. Several laps of trying to scrub off the coating

did very little to alleviate the problem. He spent the rest of his practice session, plus the one

following, scraping the build-up off his tires. 

#8 Cap Henry

Cap Henry

CHR Cars

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

Im assuming whatever is used to make a track sticky probably shouldnt be put on tires, theres PLENTY of tire preps available that work just fine on tires.

For the indoor concrete races either coke syrup or rosin and brake fluid are used for the initial base to get the rubber to lay down

Team PSC
Parma PSE
CHR Cars
JDR-Joe Dirt Racing

#9 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Right. I never saw anyone prep the track with anything. Always on the tires.

#10 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

VHT/PJ-1 Trackbite is for track or tires.... but... for drag racing tire  'bleach burnouts' only 

if your allowed to 'soak'.... LOL

Hot Lap or Track Claw for tires only, some guys use plain ol kerosene  ... our mileage may vary.

https://www.youtube....h?v=e4eLS23-JQY

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

Electric Dreams Online Shop