#1 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,296 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

Another nice model from the house of Pactra, produced in 1968:

Posted Image

This 1965/1966 Ferrari 365P2/P3 with a streamlined body by Drogo was one of the 1965 cars sold by the works to Luigi Chinetti of the North American Racing Team, the US Ferrari distributor. Driven by Sam Posey and Tony Adamowicz, the car was white with a blue stripe. It also ran in 1967. Pactra painted theirs in silver, the only known color, and also sold the clear body separately. The chassis is standard Pactra fare with a soldered brass tubing, aluminum drop arm and independent front wheels.

This model purchased from a seller on ePrey has the later gray sponge tires and was quite dirty. A quick wash and brass cleaning and it looks pretty nice... ready for AKTION!

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

Philippe de Lespinay

#2 Horsepower

Horsepower

**Numb Thumbs**

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:24 PM

Sweet! I don't know how you find these cherries!?
Anyone looking for a repo of this body should contact Tom Andersen.
http://members.aol.com/ch2a/page1.html
Gary Stelter

My life fades, the vison dims. All that remains are memories... from The Road Warrior

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

Here's a pic of a body I was wondering what to do with. Question for Dokk and others, was this made as a factory built car from Pactra? The body mount seems a little cheesy on the underside pic. Only mounted in the middle? My body insert paper has the year as 1966 not 1968. Which is correct? Also the motor in the pic looks to have a riveted endbell. Did Pactra offer rewinds? Still learning.

Attached Images

• ebay_535.jpg
  • ebay_536.jpg

Joe Lupo

#4 Darkron9

Darkron9

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

Just for your own information, I had quit slot racing before 1968, but was a fixture at the tracks in 1966. I had one of these bodies as I was in a "buy all bodies Ferrari" mode during 1965 and 1966 and part of 1967. So the 1966 year is correct.

I bought mine as a clear body only.

Loved those fins!

Ron
"What happened?"
"He was leaning to the left so I gave him a right..."

-Tim Thomerson from the movie "War Wolves"

Ron Kiyomura - Otoko wa tsurai yo

#5 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 9,241 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

That IS a beautiful body, Ron. It needs to have a '66-style inline jaildoor chassis under it. Dokk, what would have motivated such a beast in 1966?
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:57 AM

Question for Dokk and others, was this made as a factory built car from Pactra?

Yes indeed, this car was produced as a complete kit or factory-built RTR. But the kit and RTR models not issued until early 1968 according to our Pactra catalogues. However the clear body was produced after le Mans 1966 where the car first appeared in late June. With the model-making factor and mold construction, it is probable that the body was first issued in September or October 1966.

The car ran the 1966 and 1967 le Mans races and ran a couple times at Lime Rock. It was later re-bodied as a standard open P2 and was raced until 1968. The Drogo body with fins was a one-off. The Drogo body was designed for more top speed in the Hunaudieres straight at le Mans, but was found to be unstable. The addition of the two fins helped to keep it straight. It was nicknamed "the White Elephant". It even had a little white elephant painted on the fins after a small wing was added between them in 1967.

Posted Image

The Pactra body mounting is always the same: a 1/16' brass-tubing piece through the drop-arm tubing, and another piece soldered to the back double "hoop" on the chassis. One pin on top, two pins on the sides. It DOES cause some body distorting, but one has to live with it.

Philippe de Lespinay

#7 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

More to the story, CLICK HERE

Philippe de Lespinay

#8 Prof. Fate

Prof. Fate

a dearly-missed departed member

• Member at Peace
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

Hi,

Wow... consistently pulling the fins must have been a nightmare!

Fate
Rocky Russo
3/6/48-1/1/12
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Allan Feldman

Allan Feldman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

Yes, it ran in 1966 as number 18; this was without the fins. These were only added in 1967 with dark blue? (I assumed it was a NART entry) background with a small white elephants painted on them.

While discussing this car on another thread, an interesting fact to all you anoraks (including me) emerged. The number 26 was going to be painted dark blue (or black?) with white lettering but the organisers thought it would not show up. So the team had to change this and painted the numbers straight onto the body.

Sorry about the colour confusion but I am sure the tail fins are dark blue but the numbers are black.

Incidentially I have the clear Pactra body.

Regards,

Allan

#10 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:22 PM

I DID verify the date of issue of the Pactra body: it was September 1967, not 1966. The kit and RTR were issued for Xmas 1967 and were produced until February, 1968.

Philippe de Lespinay

#11 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:06 PM

Dokk, Thanks for the info. I was wondering who made the decisions on which bodies would be produced by a company like Pactra. Did they have to pay silly royalties and such as they have to do now?

At the time these were made ('60s ) I had very little interest in the "foreign" jobs as I was a muscle car guy. Only in the last few years have I come to appreciate the true beauty of some of these designs.

Joe Lupo

#12 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,296 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:24 PM

No one paid any royalties to anyone at the time. In the new book I tell the story of how that eventually happened when a man by the name of Reeves Whitson organized the British racing car makers into a licensing union.

While it did not work then, it sure does now! :angry:

Philippe de Lespinay

Electric Dreams Online Shop