7 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,966 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:39 AM

The British Slot Car Racing Association are big users of several of the JK Hawk motors in their racing classes and the motor's UK distributor, Andy Brown-Searle of AB Slotsport, recently posted a tech sheet on his website giving his take on the seemingly never-ending discussion on how best to break-in these motors, along with a little advice on how best to maintain them.

This info is reposted here with Andy's kind permission.

Running in and maintenance of JK FK Motors

This tech sheet applies to the following motors - JK Hawk 7, JK Hawk Retro

All the above motors are now high-speed machine wound and quality is vastly improved compared with other types of FK motors. The Hawk Retro and Hawk 7 are also auto balanced within a set parameter, so you will find some motors with balance marks and those which meet the parameter which do not have balance marks.

All motors now share the harder motor brush material introduced in the Hawk 25. This provides a longer motor life, but also means they take longer to “run-in.”

The system of of “running-in" or "breaking-in” suggested here has been found to work well across the range.

1) Initially flush the motor with a proprietary switch cleaner and allow to dry.

2) Re-lubricate motor bushings. Do not overlubricate the brush end of the motor! Use a thin high performance lubricant such as Activ8.

3) Run the motor at 5 volts for 20-30 minutes (it may be necessary to re-lubricate during this period).

4) Mount the motor in your chassis and get the perfect gear mesh (bolt-in or solder-in), then run the motor with gears attached for a further 20 minutes. This puts a little more load on the motor and assists the running-in process.

5) Finally take the car down to the track and run for 50-75 laps without the blast relay turned on in your controller and 'job done'!

After racing: Especially if the car is not going to be raced for a while, flush the motor with switch cleaner, but remember to re-lubricate before you race again! Cleanliness is the secret to long motor life! If you leave any oil deposits on the commutator and brushes, this will soften the brushes and may cause clogging of the commutator the next time you race. Remember, do not overlubricate the endbell (brush) end of the motor.

We have also found it beneficial to use Loctite 638 to attach pinions rather than soldering. This ensures that there is no contamination of the can bushing with acid flux, which can cause corrosion in the bushing. Pinions can also thus be removed using a pinion puller when required.

• The Number of and JK Products like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

I am going to stick with my break-in formula.

15 minutes at 15 volts submerged in hot bacon grease.

Produces a pig every time.

Seriously that sounds like good advice, especially the part about not over-oiling the brush end. 

• Racer36 likes this
Eddie Fleming

#3 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Good advice but I've found the Simple Green method faster, cleaner, and with less stress on the motor. It can also be done at the raceway even with hand-outs.
  • Half Fast likes this
Fred Younkin

#4 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• 21,313 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

Agree. No way to do this with hand-out races.

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,863 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

Seriously that sounds like good advice, especially the part about not over-oiling the brush end.

#1 mistake made in slot racing.

Or maybe #2, after not bending your body pins. LOL

The infrequent times I oil on the comm end, not squeezing the bottle, I just touch the outer circumference of the needle, not the hole, basically at a 90 degree angle, across the shaft, and let capillary action transfer a tiny bit of oil to the bushing.

Those FK bushings, and the arm shafts, are pretty terrific.

I would let the Hawk 25 I was longevity testing for JK, run overnight for up to 8 hours at a time, obviously without reoiling.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#6 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,646 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Sounds like great advice.  :)

Ron Thornton

#7 Mbloes

Mbloes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

Is "switch cleaner" the same as "contact cleaner"?

Mike Bloes

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,966 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

Yes, I believe so.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop