• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

I always wanted to build the clear Classic Lola Lotus body that comes as a spare with the Manta Ray. Well, here's that version.

Super soft clear Candies w/ black rims (extremely rare) gives the car the power to traction ratio it's always needed.
The lower body makes the Lola much more aerodynamic than the Manta Ray as well. Lower than low!

Some kid carved his ID into the frame like Mommy told him to so the car they sunk a whole $15 into wouldn't be stolen, which was common at suburban Detroit tracks. No kidding, guys would stand around marshaling the turns and suddenly grab your ride and then run off with it!

Best offer by 11 PM Eastern time, Saturday, November 4, 2017. Note that this car is being sold “AS-IS.”

You can post your offer in this thread, or if you wish to remain anonymous, send your offer (stating clearly which car) either in a PM to Cheater here at Slotblog or email him at greg@slotblog.net, and he will post it for you without identification.

Please note this NEW REQUIREMENT: So anonymous bids can be posted to the threads before the auction ends, anonymous bids must be sent ONE HALF HOUR before the ending time listed for the car. For example, if the bidding closes at 11 PM Eastern for posted bids, anonymous bids must be received by 10:30 PM Eastern, whether sent via email or PM.

Buyer to pay shipping costs. Shipping in most cases will be via USPS “First-Class Package Service,” at least within the US. International shipping will be by method of winning bidder's choice at his expense. A small amount will be added for the cost of packaging materials. If insurance is desired (above any amount automatically included) the additional cost will be at the buyer’s expense. It is not expensive to add insurance to First-Class Package Service (for example, $200 of insurance costs just an additional $3.35).

cl.1.jpg

cl.2.jpg

cl.3.jpg

cl.4.jpg

cl.5.jpg

cl.6.jpg

cl.7.jpg

Thomas J Scott

#2 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

I'll kick this off at $75.00.

• Cheater likes this

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:22 PM

That was no kid engraving his name on the chassis. That was probably Frank "Buzz" Perri marking one of the Buzz-A-Rama house cars. He might have sold it when he modernized his rental fleet or it could be "Hot" :diablo:

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#4 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

You're probably right!
I bought the chassis off ePay and I've never heard of Buzz-A-Rama until now.
Looks like we've got a piece of slot car history here!
Thanks for letting me know and thanks for the video. It was really interesting
If you scroll a bit further after the slot car stuff there is some really cool guitar stuff on that video, too.
Guitars and slot cars? Right up my alley
I've got a Gibson Les Paul Std 1960 re-issue that just kills. The flame on the top is incredible and it plays like a dream
I had a Black Face Fender pre-CBS Super Reverb that really sounded great with the Paul, but I just sold it to a guy in CA
Thanks again for the info.

Thomas J Scott

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,423 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

I've sent a link to this listing to Buzz Perri, who is a Slotblog member, asking him to tell us what he might know abut this car.

Very surpised you didn't know about Buzz-A-Rama, Tom, as it is one of the most famous raceways in the entire history of the slot car hobby. His original raceway opened in 1961 and he's been at the current location since 1965!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

I was very young when the slot car craze hit me back in the '60s.
I was too young to drive so my access to a lot of different raceways wasn't possible. My mom or someone else in our little group would have to drive us and they refused to take us very far just to race our "little cars."
We also didn't have the internet and a fantastic place like "Slotblog" to learn about these Meccas of slot racing.
The only one I ever got to race at was the Groove in Royal Oak, MI..
I never read the slot car magazines.
I had to put what little money I ever had into the cost of track time, parts, tools, and every chance I got... a new (or new to me) car!! (The ultimate treat!!)
So I'm certain there's a lot of Meccas I've never heard of let alone raced at
I think that's why I managed to collect so many cars later in life when I had the time and the money.
I think a lot of guys like me went nuts and bought a lot of stuff they couldn't afford as a kid.

• Cheater, eshorer, Samiam and 1 other like this
Thomas J Scott

#7 John Odell

John Odell

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:29 AM

Bid $100.

• Cheater likes this

#8 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:12 AM

Nice car!! That's looks like a Lotus 30 body though! :)

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,423 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

Mike, 

Thanks for the correction. I think Tom just misspoke.

It's the correct 'extra' body that came with a new Manta Ray, according to the box art, and thus jives with his story in post #1.

mantaray.jpg

• olescratch likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#10 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

This is a great piece of Buzz-A Rama memorabilia.  :to_become_senile:

• Cheater likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,423 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

Sorry, guys, fell asleep on the couch.

The winner of this car is John Odell at $100.

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop