• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Champion 507

Champion 507

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

I got both of these Classic Asps from the late Ray Price a number of years ago. I also bought a used green one at a track I only went to once back in about 1966, I guess. I was very disappointed in the way mine ran 50+ years ago. I bought the ones from Ray strictly for nostalgic reasons. I never owned the 26D version until I got this one from Ray.

So many of the RTRs and kits were such pathetic performers back in the day. But I would put the Asp in the top ten of a list of slot cars that looked so cool but ran so bad!

I have never run the ones I got from Ray. I need to do some parts swapping and changing to get them closer to being as close to 100% correct as I can make them. There are no tracks within 110 miles of me, so they won't get run any time soon. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to doing a thread about making them as correct as I can. As they sit, there are some parts currently on the green one that actually belong on the gold one and vice versa. I also have spare parts that correctly belong on each one.

But my whole purpose in starting this thread is this: did any of you make improvements, especially to the handling, of these cars? The 26D version certainly had a motor more capable of faster speeds, but the handling was just never there. I never remember seeing any how-to articles on how to improve the handling of one. Nowadays you wouldn't want to destroy the originality of a nice vintage car, but what did racers do back in the day to make theirs haul Asp?

asp1.jpg

asp2.JPG

Doug Azary
"We offer prompt service... no matter how long it takes!"
"We're not happy unless you're not happy"
"You want it when?"

#2 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

Hi Doug,

I would think the first mod would be securing the endbell to the can with screws. Added weight would be second.

Cool cars.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,082 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:53 AM

Doug, I bought a new gold Asp in 1967. I had it two weeks, when someone offered to swap a slightly used 26D Chappy with a cast Dynamic chassis, I jumped at it. That was my modification. :) 

I still have that Dynamic 26D sidewinder, just waiting to be rebuilt someday.

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#4 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:59 AM

I would also tie the front and rear frame together along with screwing the endbell to the motor can. I stuck one of mine in a chassis jig and squared it up before adding frame connectors to it. Would help to take any undue stress off of the motor. And like Bob said, weight it as needed. 

I am betting just building a custom wire chassis with motor bracket for one and using an after market body on it would be the best idea for ever trying to race one of these Asp/Competition Asp???

I have one original I might run around a track, but do not want to "bust up" the body on it.

Michael J. Boruff

#5 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

Shelf queens! They look great, but you can't really say that they were made to compete with other cars, or even the same cars! Too many pieces being supported by other pieces of the same structure.

BTW, the tires suck. What are they, rubber, sponge, silicon?

John Stewart

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 9,082 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

Mike, I agree with you. a brass/wire chassis with an aftermarket body is probably the best way to go for an Asp. This combination has shown up occasionally on eBay. The Asp bodies themselves, can be quite expensive.

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#7 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

Doug Azary,

This is what I did on my Maserati to help make the frame a bit more stable. Granted, it is on the shorter Classic Maserati chassis I did, but this will work on the Asp/Competition Asp as well.

IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

I just plan on maybe "playing" a bit with this car and one of my Asp. But just to reiterate, if I were to get serious about Asp racing,I would beg Gene to do me a nice repro body, and I would build a super brass motor bracket/wire chassis to go under it. I think it would work loads better than the factory ones. 

And I would not want to put my prize collection Asp/Competition Asp (ultimate) in harm's way.  :)

ASP 1.jpg

ASP2.jpg

• Jencar17 likes this

Michael J. Boruff

#8 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

IIRC, we used to tape extra guide flag weights on the drop arm, and swapped out the rear tires for a set of AJ's silicones.

BTW, are those nylon circlips for the rear motor mount still around/available?

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

#9 Champion 507

Champion 507

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

I guess the tires are the originals. It says 'Classic' on the sidewalls on both sets of rears. I guess they're rubber. They are not silicone. I don't own a tire truer, so I can't freshen them up. But I won't be running them at all in the foreseeable future, so I'm leaving them alone.

One set of fronts totally dried up, cracked and fell off. I put neoprene O-rings on for now. I am not running them, so they are in a state of "preservation" for now so to speak.

The CM160 needs help in the green one. I don't think Ray knew that one pole of the arm was burned. I have a nice original arm to replace it with but to do that I have to open up the motor and pry the can tabs open and that will weaken the integrity of the chassis. Maybe I can find a nice original motor some day and drop in it. 

The two pics I posted are actually ones Ray took when we were discussing the deal. They have been on my desktop for years and I finally chose to post them here.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. Yes, I have thought of scratchbuilding a heavier brass chassis. I would also try to mix up some paint to match the anodized aluminum color and spray the frame. I have a couple of repro bodies. What is amazing is that one of Parma's Faskolors Key Lime is almost a dead-on match for the green Asp. I haven't found any golds that match the other one very well yet but I haven't looked very hard yet, either.

Doug Azary
"We offer prompt service... no matter how long it takes!"
"We're not happy unless you're not happy"
"You want it when?"

#10 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

BTW, are those nylon circlips for the rear motor mount still around/available?

Mike,

PM me if you need one.

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#11 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

I guess the tires are the originals. It says 'Classic' on the sidewalls on both sets of rears. I guess they're rubber. They are not silicone. I don't own a tire truer, so I can't freshen them up. But I won't be running them at all in the foreseeable future, so I'm leaving them alone.

One set of fronts totally dried up, cracked and fell off. I put neoprene O-rings on for now. I am not running them, so they are in a state of "preservation" for now so to speak.

The CM160 needs help in the green one. I don't think Ray knew that one pole of the arm was burned. I have a nice original arm to replace it with but to do that I have to open up the motor and pry the can tabs open and that will weaken the integrity of the chassis. Maybe I can find a nice original motor some day and drop in it. 

The two pics I posted are actually ones Ray took when we were discussing the deal. They have been on my desktop for years and I finally chose to post them here.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. Yes, I have thought of scratchbuilding a heavier brass chassis. I would also try to mix up some paint to match the anodized aluminum color and spray the frame. I have a couple of repro bodies. What is amazing is that one of Parma's Faskolors Key Lime is almost a dead-on match for the green Asp. I haven't found any golds that match the other one very well yet but I haven't looked very hard yet, either.

507, Consider this a 'like'... I'm all out today. 

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#12 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

Good luck with the gold color. The photos look rather like the old Patra gold that is no longer available. I have tried and failed to find anything close. Let me know if you find something.  

Eddie Fleming

#13 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:26 PM

Cool body's like the ASP or the clear one on the side of the block is what Retro should have been built around.  Cool like that never goes out of style!

• NSwanberg and olescratch like this

Electric Dreams Online Shop