5 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:25 AM

Each of these comes out a little different (*which I kinda like), and with this one I added some clearance notches at the last minute.  I'm not sure if they're necessary because the motors are small, but I kinda like the way they look.

IMG_2286.JPG IMG_2287.JPG IMG_2288.JPG

I also closed-up the ID a little to tighten the airgap, and then opened it up at the end for fitting the end bell.

• slotbaker, race301, miko and 4 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

Cool! Will make the motor lool fast just sitting there :D

Sweet progress on the H-Can.

#3 grooverunner

grooverunner

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

John,

Looking good! The H-Can is progressing nicely getting better every time. :good: 

Ken

• olescratch likes this
Ken  Hill

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

Thanks for looking-in guys!  I made up a quickie drilling jig for the can using a cut up motor's sides.  I found the center between the can side's holes and marked it.  Then I marked the center of my can's sides.  I lined the two up and center-punched my can.  It worked better than my previous attempts and I got fairly "close" first shot.  Three of the four holes needed tweaking with a really tiny carbide bur because there's precious little room for error, but it's definitely a better way to locate the holes...or I just got lucky(er).

John Havlicek

#5 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for looking-in guys!  I made up a quickie drilling jig for the can using a cut up motor's sides.  I found the center between the can side's holes and marked it.  Then I marked the center of my can's sides.  I lined the two up and center-punched my can.  It worked better than my previous attempts and I got fairly "close" first shot.  Three of the four holes needed tweaking with a really tiny carbide bur because there's precious little room for error, but it's definitely a better way to locate the holes...or I just got lucky(er).

I would like to see a picture of this device.  Is it similar to the jig that was suggested by another member here?

John Stewart

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

I would like to see a picture of this device.  Is it similar to the jig that was suggested by another member here?

Hi John,

Heaven knows I'm not against posting pictures, but there's nothing to see.  I simply cut up a can and soldered that to a piece of another can so it doesn't fall apart  (*these cans are only spot-welded in one place at each seam).  Then I did my best to mark the center between the two holes.  That center mark gets lined up (*again, only "eyeball") with the center of my new can's sides.  Since I cut up a can to do this, I got two of these.  I'm going to make a better (hopefully) one now that I know it pretty much works.  This has nothing to do with the suggested fixture.  **I am sure there is an exact way to do this, but it is surely beyond my skills and equipment, whatever it is.

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop