16 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

Who belongs to a top club in the United States, besides the Farrout and Pelican clubs that have already been mentioned I am looking for responses from actual club members. 

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#2 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

I know there are some members out there. ;-)

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#3 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,863 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

IMO, you're a bit impatient at 82 minutes.

Ramcatlarry can probably help you.

He's a member of the Great Lakes Slot Car Club that probably boasted about 35 members in its heyday.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#4 garyvmachines

garyvmachines

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

What is your definition " of a great Slot Car Club ? "

Around a long time ??

Most tracks ??

Most members ??

Best Turnout Average ??

Most FUN on Race Night .... !!!! ..??

GAV 

Gary Vogeler

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Haha, didn't know you were keeping track Mike. Not sure where the word great came from, i don't see it mentioned anywhere but still a valid question that deserves a response.

I am looking at clubs that have been around a few years, maybe at least 3-5 or more that have a core group of racers that have been involved for a while, whatever that means. I am not so much interested in numbers of members or turnouts though a regular program would be nice, with consistent rules. As far as tracks I would be more interested if there was a dedicated club track which can be in a raceway, a home or some rented building. 

This would be for inclusion in the book project I am working on. I have already looked at a number of British and European clubs that I will include. For instance the Oaklands Park club switched from rail to slot in 1964 and is still going strong while the club in Uden just celebrated their 50th anniversary.  but I understand that clubs in the US are a different breed and my definition will change if it necessary. 

I am asking the question here at first to specifically include racers who may have been involved in slots in the early days but now either restrict their activities to a club or like in the case of the Farrout club switch between commercial and club racing.

This is not a contest or a debate but rather a wish to have representative clubs in the US included in my book project. 

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#6 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

I'll toss in the Interstate Home Slot Racers (IHSR).

Founded in 1994 and active every year since. Our season runs from October through May the following year.

Located in the Mid-Atlantic, the name stems from races typically drawing regular members from MD, PA, WVA, and VA. A couple of guys used to drive down from NYC, including none other than legendary 60's commercial racer and chassis builder, Bob Emott. It was quite humbling to lend him a stock Scalex Sauber Mercedes with its toylike plastic chassis. He didn't mind.

A couple of times we've had folks from Europe drop in while visiting the States.

We run 1/32 only at this point. Started out running the mostly stock Scalex cars, with Indy Grips, on plastic tracks in our homes. Any given season we run on at least 7 different layouts. Originally it was Revell, Monogram, Scalex, Scalex rubber, Ninco, Artin, THREE lane Strombecker and yes, even Eldon.

Around 2003 I routed the first wood track, a three laner in my garage. By the end of that season, we'd gone all wood with 3 and 4 lane routed layouts. Used to run magnets, but for the last 6 seasons or so have been strictly no mag, no silicones.

This past season, I re-introduced plastic, setting up a large, rare THREE lane true 1/24 Scalextric layout.

At its peak, it was not unusual to have 20+ guys crammed into our basements/garages on race day. The last few years race day will bring 8 to 12 or so guys.

We always race on a weekend day (almost always Saturday) because guys drive from so far away. Host usually opens his home around 8 am for practice/bench racing/testing/tuning. The first of four classes starts around 10 am, pizza lunch after two classes, with things winding up and most guys on the way home by 3 pm or so. Time and interest permitting, the host may run an IROC race of his choice to close out the day.

This coming Saturday (11/4) for the first time in several years, we've rented a hobby shop track (6 lane Ninco), so a little more plastic in the mix.

Many of the guys are 1:1 car and/or bike guys. Current/former member cars have included Corvair, Lotus, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Vettes, Mini Coopers, Miata, Porsche, Solstice Coupe, Chrysler Crossfire, BMW Z4, Audi and a variety of bikes.

A few guys have some 1:1 racing and track experience, one being a former BMW club track instructor. A former member is now a mechanic at GMT Racing in Connecticut, which restores, maintains and provides track support for vintage racing cars.

In addition to the vintage car tech, we have a pharmacist, doctor, administrative law judge, graphic artist, IT professional and any number of other professions represented.

Last weekend I set up a 3 lane Scalex layout at a slot car show, and from that we might pick up another 4 to 7 new racers.

We always have class legal loaner cars for guys trying us out.

More info at interstatehomeslotracingclub.yuku.com  Lots of pics of layouts and past events, as well as our classes and schedule.

IHSR.png

Todd Brace

#7 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

I've been a member of the ISHR group for about 20 years.  In addition to the migration from plastic to wood and the disappearance of magnets noted by Todd, there are numerous instances where a person, initially running strictly stock, out-of-the-box cars has gone on to modifications and scratch building.  One of the features of our races is the after race "tear down" - the top 3 cars are opened up so everyone can see the "secret sauce"

EM

Alan Schwartz

#8 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

Thanks guys, IHSR will be included. Expect PMs in the future for more questions.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#9 Benno - SAC

Benno - SAC

Beyond the Atlantic

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

while the club in Uden just celebrated their 50th anniversary.

Hi Dennis,

did I ever mentioned the history of our club? The SAC Stolberg is even 4 years older than MRTU Uden.

History of the SAC Stolberg (Germanys oldest Slot Racing Club).

Schöne Grüße (Kind regards)

Benno Stolberg

www.SAC-Stolberg.de

#10 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for the info! Any old timers still around?

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#11 Benno - SAC

Benno - SAC

Beyond the Atlantic

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the info! Any old timers still around?

Yes. One since 1965 and one since 1970.
There are others still alive but no more active.

Schöne Grüße (Kind regards)

Benno Stolberg

www.SAC-Stolberg.de

#12 eAddict

eAddict

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

Who belongs to a top club in the United States, besides the Farrout and Pelican clubs that have already been mentioned I am looking for responses from actual club members. 

I think I can dig up the history doc for our club.  Been around since 1962.

#13 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

Please do. I would love to read it

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#14 eAddict

eAddict

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

Please do. I would love to read it

Sure.  I will reach out to the guy who has the copy I read and see if he has an PDF version.

#15 MarkH

MarkH

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 05:31 PM

I would have to add the following St. Louis Clubs:

Gateway Slot Racing Association They have been around for many years. garyvmachines is an outstanding member, see post above, along with many others

SERG Slotcar Endurance Racing Group  We have been around a few years and have a great time running longer races

Monaco GrixPrix  Miniature Racing  Another well established club 

STL has the great fortune of a great variety of home tracks to race on and a really fun group of guys to hang out with.

Mark Horne

SERG - www.slotcarenduro.club
"Racing is life... everything else is just waiting." Steve McQueen - LeMans
There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#16 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 07:37 PM

SJSCC, San Jose Slot Car Club. HO magnet and some gravity cars.

8 tracks, races every 2-3 weeks. 12 to 20+ very good racers at a given event. A number of very well known (and recognizable) racers including the winners of the KSR 24 hours held recently.

#17 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:40 PM

Sorry I am not covering HO cars in this book.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

Electric Dreams Online Shop