11 replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

Ron debuted this great-looking Corvair for a Mixed race in our latest Triathlon. See this LINK for the full narrative and many images.

SC_Ron.jpg
  • Tex, Tim Neja, miko and 2 others like this

Rich Vecchio

#2 NY Nick

NY Nick

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:06 PM

Nice.

What model did Ron use and where did you get the rims?

Thank you for posting this very cool car.

Nick Cerulli

#3 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:29 PM

Thanks.

Ron used the kit shown below. The fender flairs are custom. This is because we allow rear track on our Sports/Trans-Am cars to be 3.25 inches and front track between 3.15 and 3.25 inches, depending on the class, and we don't want the wheels sticking out.

As far as the inserts, I am not certain. All I can say is that I use rims from 1/25 scale model (or sometimes 1/24 kits). I cut them down if necessary to make them fit in the ProTrack wheel. I cannot say which kit Ron used, however, I do know that he made them from a plastic model kit.

5165FBCz7FL.jpg

Rich Vecchio

#4 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

As I recall, Ron mentioned that the race-car decals were included in the kit... kinda nice.

You can't always get what you want...

#5 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 12:19 AM

Yes, they are. I have an unbuilt kit.

Rich Vecchio

#6 NY Nick

NY Nick

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

I have this kit. What chassis and motor?

Corvair .jpg
Nick Cerulli

#7 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

I have this kit. What chassis and motor?

All of our True Scale Classes run inexpensive H-Bracket chassis like Scholer, Scaleauto, Slotting Plus or Plafit. The Scholers are no longer available but the others are just as competitive. Rons' uses a Scholer. Check out the link. The Corvair would run in Historic Trans Am or Gran Sport. Motors for all classes except GT1 (uses Hawk 7) are ProSlot Sealed 16Ds. See the link for Historic Trans Am http://slotblog.net/...toric-trans-am/

It is amazing how well these cars run. Arguably the fastest and best handling class is GT1 because these cars are very wide, relatively long and quite low. Here is a link to the GT1s http://slotblog.net/...true-scale-gt1/

BTW - there is a lot of work converting these chassis. First, the axle hangers are meant for metric bushing and must be reamed to fit 1/8 inch bushings. The side and front pans do not come with kits and must be fabricated. We used .062 brass of various widths. For 16D motors, a custom motor bracket must be fabricated. Hawks can be mounted on the stock motor bracket.

Also, to see all of our classes and examples of chassis and many cars see the link and then select the desired class. http://slotblog.net/...aceway-classes/

If you are interested in our style of hardbody racing check out the various sections of the Electron Raceway Forum. There are images of the track, classes, race reports. The projects section shows how to build various cars and the roving reporter section reports on visits to out of town tracks.

Rich Vecchio

#8 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:25 AM

Best license plate on a Corvair...

FURNADER

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#9 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

More on chassis...

When we started our scale hardbody programs many years ago, the only chassis that we knew of was the Scholer and we used them exclusively. Also, at that time we used Parma Deathstars. The cars with Hawk 7 and Proslot 16D motors are blazing fast. Crashes can be quite hard and carnage not unusual.  I think that if I were to start a new program now, I would use the Scaleauto chassis (readily available, adjustable front and rear axle hangers). You could go completely stock or use and upgraded motor and ProTrack wheels. The Scaleauto wheels are quite tall and would not work on smaller cars like the Corvair. We use ProTrack foam rear tires cut to about 1 inch. In front, typically ProTrack cut to 15/16.  Below are images of all the chassis we use. They all sell for about $50. By the time you finish the chassis it will cost about $110 (then you will have to buy and build the model kit)

To give you an idea of the difference in speed. Our record for GT1 is about 4.7 seconds. A bone stock Scaleauto Viper runs about a second per lap slower. The good thing about the Scaleauto route is no carnage and a package that handles well right out of the box. As mentioned above the disadvantage is wheels are too big for many of our classes. If you go bone stock, you could cut down the front and rear tire. Scaleauto tires are expensive at $18/set while the ProTracks are about $11.

Int.jpg

PL1700-2.jpg

SC-8001c-2.jpg

SCH1102002-2.jpg

SP800001-2.jpg

• Samiam likes this

Rich Vecchio

#10 NY Nick

NY Nick

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

I like the chassis will check it out, Thanks

Nick Cerulli

#11 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

The Scaleauto chassis that Ron used is the same one that he used on his Ferrari 458 Detailed images of the chassis set up can be found in the following slotblog thread http://slotblog.net/...errari-458-wow/ cursor down for imaes

Rich Vecchio

#12 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

More on body. You will have to stretch your Corvair body so it will fit on the chassis. I stretch mine to 2.75 inches. Too see how to do this see the link and cursor down http://slotblog.net/...-dem-trans-ams/

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop