1967 Tamiya stockers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,558 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

(Translated from foreign language with Google Translate)

For collectors familiar with the famous Japanese brand of kits Tamiya, here are three of their productions dating from 1967:

The last three models of Tamiya before they threw the towel on slot cars in 1968 are 1966 American cars that were stars of NASCAR and USAC, a Dodge Charger, a Ford Galaxy and a Plymouth Belvedere.

All three models have the same aluminum alloy chassis with rear suspension by coil springs, and although there are no motors in the kits, were provided with the necessary fixtures for the choice of or a Mabuchi FT16D, FT26 or FT26D or FT36D, purchased separately.
However, the last productions saw an FT26 engine added under the blister above the rear of the engine. This happened when Stabo of Germany made an agreement with Tamiya to release two models, the Lotus 40 and the De Tomaso King Cobra. These two kits were equipped with a FT16D motor enclosed under the blister above the rear of the chassis.

The decals on each model represented a real car.

The bodies were all molded in white plastic, which turns yellow in the light with age. The windows and the interior of the cockpit were molded under vacuum into clear butyrate, and received an injected-plastic driver's head. Like most Tamiya slot kits, the body mounting brass brackets are molded directly into the bodywork (something the Americans could have been inspired by ...)

The mold of the bodywork was copied from the Jo-Han kit.

The Ford is an exact replica of the AMT model, another American kit. Tamiya did not bother at the time to make original models.

The third model is the hardest to find in my opinion, and also the last one produced. This Dodge is directly copied from the MPC model, another American kit:

Here is an assembled model ready to raise hell on your local track:

For slot cars collectors, these three models are among the most desirable.

• Cheater, slotbaker, Tex and 2 others like this

#2 Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

I know those cars were in America, but I never had one until some of my trading friends in Oz and Japan sent them to me!  Locally I didn't see them back in the '60s, maybe on the coast they could have been more common?  

The vac-formed windows were a great improvement over injection-molded heavy windows.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#3 chaparrAL

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:59 PM

Nice model bodies that make great slot cars. 

Is that Petty Dodge done from the factory that way?  Whoever it was failed to do research. Petty in the 60's drove Plymouths. The Chargers were driven by Pearson, White and Sam McQuaag.

1965-66 saw MOPAR go to the smaller body shell and that Fury body was only seen on short tracks on earlier cars that likely had been rebodied.

Al Thurman
"Everything you love, everything meaningful with depth and history, all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated, mishandled, watered down, cheapened, repackaged, marketed, and sold to people you hate." Von Dutch [Kenneth R. Howard] 1929-1992
."If there is, in fact, a Heaven and a Hell, all we know for sure is that Hell will be a viciously overcrowded version of Pheonix." Dr Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005
"Whither goest thou, America, in thy shiny car in the night?" - Jack Kerouac 1927-1969
"Hold my stones". Keith Stone
My link

Electric Dreams Online Shop