51 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

It's no secret that getting a hold of vintage Mabuchis (*especially FT16D, but also 26D and even FT36D types) is becoming really difficult.  I've done what I can to keep some of the motors going with less-than-pristine parts, and while the cans can more easily be "resurrected", the end bells are all-but-gone.  The few you might find "out there" are going for really silly money as a result.  While collecting these things is a worthwhile pastime (*if you have the money), actually running or racing them has gotten almost silly.  

To my mind, Steve Okeefe's "Vintage Style" notion is the perfect way to keep running the "type" cars in the spirit of the (earlier) 1960's, without sacrificing the dwindling and irreplaceable motors that are still around.  Never really having been a "strictly period-correct" kind of guy, I've sort of been in favor of this whole thing before it got  a name.  I don't think much, if any organized true vintage racing goes on here in the US, aside from maybe some club tracks.  There are some infrequent events such as proxy races and the like here, but nothing significant.  So once again I have to ask, why not just use good easily-available and affordable analogs?  While the rules were mostly pretty scarce back in the day, it would only take a few extras to make this all happen.   I guess (?) this is way more of an issue for Europeans and some other countries outside the US, but what could help would be to see more "vintage style" builds happening, even when the cars aren't necessarily for racing.  That kind of acceptance by builders could wind up helping acceptance by those who race these things.  Ultimately, even the people who build just for the sheer enjoyment are going to run out of good candidates.

• Steve Okeefe, Tex, Lee Palmer and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#2 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

Do what you can with parts you have available :)

The only thing left is to hope for some 3d filament that's got enough heat resistance and get some endbells printed. I saw in one of your threads a Blogger who does velocoraptor endbells in the frosted material. Short drag run blasts but at least it shows it can be done.
  • havlicek likes this

#3 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

In the late 60s the motor rule was pretty much run what you brung. So as long as you stay away from little strap motors or multi magnet setups I think the new stuff fits in perfectly. If anybody is racing such things.

• havlicek and Samiam like this
Eddie Fleming

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Hi Paul,

Of course 3D printing CAN be done, it's short-run only and actually making cheap copies in quantity is probably a long way off...if  even that.  This is a REALLY small niche thing.  Far better to just adopt good modern analogs in my mind.  NOBODY in their right mind is going to invest in the setup and tooling to actually produce quantities of end bells that need to sell for less than $10 to *maybe* a couple of hundred people.  :)  Then too, the end bell hardware will need to be done also...a whole 'nuther thing.  It's hard enough for current motor manufacturers to see ROI for motors being run today!

• hiline2 likes this
John Havlicek

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

In the late 60s the motor rule was pretty much run what you brung. So as long as you stay away from little strap motors or multi magnet setups I think the new stuff fits in perfectly. If anybody is racing such things.

Yes...and people DO run these things alright.  I think it's also key that people who build for the sheer enjoyment also adopt the mindset.  After all, there are more people interested in these things than *just* those who actually run/race them!  :)

John Havlicek

#6 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,066 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Hi John,

I think it's also key that people who build for the sheer enjoyment also adopt the mindset.

BINGO!  :good:

To my mind, Steve Okeefe's "Vintage Style" notion is the perfect way to keep running the "type" cars in the spirit of the (earlier) 1960's..............

I agree. Maybe if his idea hadn't been relentlessly attacked by "modern racer rule mongers" he would have pursued his thread to fruition.

Sorry..........I should probably delete this. I'm venting...... :dash2:

• havlicek, boxerdog, olescratch and 1 other like this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hi John,

I agree. Maybe if his idea hadn't been relentlessly attacked by "modern racer rule mongers" he would have pursued his thread to fruition.

I see no reason to delete anything Rick!  While I understand the whole "rule thing" as an effort to keep things even, it sure seems to get out of hand and there's at least the perception out there that things aren't even at all anyway (I get asked all the time to wind cheater arms by people who are convinced they need to "do what the other cheaters are doing").  I don't mean to stir up a hornet's nest either, and we all ought to be grown up enough to be able to at least talk about these things.

So, staying out of "retro", vintage style or 'type" or whatever running/racing still has a place, and there are more people doing slots than just those who participate in the very successful retro racing.  For those who do enjoy building, showing, running and even racing these things...allowing some rational nod to the reality that we face seems like it should be a no-brainer.  ***I don't even know how long Parma D can motors and parts will be around, but the Mabuchi stuff is getting really scarce, especially in non-melted fairly clean examples.  More modern D and C motors are good substitutes for the old motors, and Steve has shown that you can even do end bell drive versions if you REALLY want to emulate the old stuff, but even that is carrying things kinda far :)  

I'd like to see more builds under the vintage style aesthetic because it could not only ease acceptance of racing that way, but also just plain old building.  After all, the supply or brass rod, tube and piano wire doesn't seem to be going anywhere...for now!  :shok:

• Samiam likes this
John Havlicek

#8 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Hi John,

BINGO!  :good:

Rick,
Steve's Vintage Style racing was attacked in the beginning, only because of the way he presented it, mysteriously, with only small dribbles of information revealed, leaving the reader to guess what he was getting at.

Once it was fully explained, IIRC, it was "sure, go for it".

AFAIK, Ken Hill built a car, and that was it.

Did Steve himself, ever finish a car?

I just don't think there was enough widespread interest, probably because the guys from that era, can get their fix, racing Retro, where there isn't any shortage of parts available.
  • Half Fast, wbugenis and Eddie Fleming like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#9 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:43 PM

Absolutely right, John. When we actually raced vintage stuff out here (and used up vintage parts sometimes) the rules encouraged Ebay/keyboard racing to a certain extent because rules are important to some people. We really can't recapture the past as much as we might want to, but it's kinda fun to try if you don't obsess over trivia. I envy those that still have viable vintage programs going.

I also wish I had a bunch of those American Line 36d RTR anglewinders. Those made for great racing.

Just my .02 as usual.

• hiline2, MSwiss and havlicek like this
David Cummerow

#10 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:51 PM

As I said, I should probably delete my post. I don't mean to drag this through the mud again. I just always wished he would have been allowed to pursue his idea without all the attacks.  If the "vintage mindset" that John mentioned would have been in play, perhaps he would have.

I know about this mindset as I started vintage racing without it. I learned it from fellow racer Rodney and it made playing with vintage slot cars really fun. I also realize those without it are like the Terminator.........they absolutely will not stop!

So I will.  :bye:

• Gator Bob likes this

Rick Thigpen

#11 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,915 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

John, where is this "vintage racing" going on you speak of?

Is there a list somewhere I'm not aware of?

I know there is a Choti-style proxy event coming up. Other than that, I'm unaware of any.

Paul Wolcott

#12 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

I know there is a Choti-style proxy event coming up. Other than that, I'm unaware of any.

Pablo,
In the below link. You made the last post in it. Lol
http://slotblog.net/...e-idea-restart/

As I said, I should probably delete my post. I don't mean to drag this through the mud again. I just always wished he would have been allowed to pursue his idea without all the attacks.  If the "vintage mindset" that John mentioned would have been in play, perhaps he would have.

I know about this mindset as I started vintage racing without it. I learned it from fellow racer Rodney and it made playing with vintage slot cars really fun. I also realize those without it are like the Terminator.........they absolutely will not stop!

So I will.  :bye:

Where's all that Terminator quality resistance in the above link?

Pablo posted 12/26/16, and the thread died.

Mike Swiss

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#13 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

Oy veh Pablo.  I'm sure I mentioned it above several times that this is still at least somewhat of a thing in Europe and not (*to my knowledge) a thing here at all, unless it's going on in private/club tracks.  Believe me when I tell you that they DO race the old motors over there...but I can't really build them anymore, at least not with 100% correct parts.  There are some vintage motors over there that I don;t think were available here like the Buehler that's almost a dead-ringer with a Mabuchi FT16D (*bit with a nicer paint job!).  Also, see below about sort of "vintage" racing (at least the motors) in stockers.  It's gone now, but probably at least partly because the good stuff is gone.

Aside from the racing, running or just plain "meets" over there, there is apparently still a great enthusiasm for the old cars in general.  I've done large batches of motors that go to Germany, Italy etc., but really can't do them anymore.  You guys DO realize that slot racing happens worldwide right?  :D

I think that Steve did get hassled, and it at least seemed to me that maybe it was more about his presentation than the substance.  I mean, he didn't exactly invent "going slow" to help spur interest in a topic!  :D

Absolutely right, John. When we actually raced vintage stuff out here (and used up vintage parts sometimes) the rules encouraged Ebay/keyboard racing to a certain extent because rules are important to some people. We really can't recapture the past as much as we might want to, but it's kinda fun to try if you don't obsess over trivia. I envy those that still have viable vintage programs going.

I also wish I had a bunch of those American Line 36d RTR anglewinders. Those made for great racing.

Just my .02 as usual.

There was a while when 36D stockers were a thing not that long ago, and some ridiculous motors with substituted hardware and serious double winds running ARCOs were a thing, but that stuff has dried-up too.  I don;t even know who has ARCO magnets for sale, least not at a reasonable price.

John Havlicek

#14 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

So ... what is the temp range of the filament needed to print endbells that are at least as good as those FT16D 'bells'. ?

Kind of a side-subject, but if you look at the filaments currently used in the more affordable home-type printers, they're not even good to the boiling point of water!  :D  I mean, that stuff is maybe good for doing a "Rat Fink" to hang on your rear-view mirror, and not even in a warm climate at that.  The tech just isn't there.  The machines have come down even further lately, some being under $200, but I'm sure the output of those things is pretty rough...not that that matters all that much.  The filaments though are just not at all suitable.  If someone were kraazee enough, they'd be better off machining some end bells from good nylon or other more expensive materials...but still...why?, when there are good substitutes.

• Half Fast likes this
John Havlicek

#15 B.C.

B.C.

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

it does seem like endbell parts are the hardest--I have been looking for brush holder pent roofs for 16d

endbells forever and a day

b.c.

Brian C. Bays

#16 grooverunner

grooverunner

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hey Guys,

Sneak peak below..

I built The one car but believe me it's not the last...

I have been working  on and making Drop arms Rick can attest to that.

drop arms.jpg

polished nutley droparm.jpg

Without the drop arms you would not have true vintage style at least once stamped drop arms came in.

also working on a few other parts for vintage style like motor end bells so you can run end bell drive and use a ProSlot drag master can,

Front wheels 3/4'' that look like Dynamics.

Dragmaster endbell v10 v2.png

Dragmaster_endbell_v10_2017-Aug-04_07-29-54PM-000_HOME.png

wheels.jpg

Enjoy

Ken

• hiline2, havlicek, boxerdog and 3 others like this
Ken  Hill

#17 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

Good stuff Ken.  Once again, I think it's good to emphasize that:

*I am not looking to "start" some kind of vintage or vintage style racing class...it's already being done, and aside from racing/running/meets, vintage building is also of course an aspect of this hobby that interests some folks.

*I don't think it's necessary to have "new" replacements parts manufactured, or really that it even makes sense.  That's not to say it isn't cool when people do that!  I'd just like to see more builds done "vintage style", because the segment that does appreciate the vintage stuff could simply disappear.

John Havlicek

#18 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

New ideas, or new approaches to old ideas are always attacked at the outset; that is how we find out if they are viable.  Since this idea has not gone away, it is reasonable to presume it has some merit.

Mike,

You're a smart guy, and a fearsome competitor, there is no question about that, but I think this time you are missing the point.  Before you go any further, show me where I have stated or implied in any way that my Vintage-style idea has anything at all to do with racing or the creation of a new racing class.

"Vintage-style Cars" (you will find that is the title of my sub-forum) and "The Vintage-style Idea"  (which is the title of the thread therein) are all about building cars, preserving slot racing history, and having some fun doing it while perhaps indulging in some fond memories.  There is no mention anywhere of racing anything.

Now, should come to pass that two or more of these Vintage-style cars are in the same raceway at the same time, I would be surprised to discover that a race did not break out!  That is where your knowledge and experience will be most valuable and appreciated.  In the meantime, please feel free to enjoy racing Retro cars; I and my fellow hobbyists will endeavor to enjoy building Vintage-style cars.

• olescratch likes this

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

Steve,
My posts were in response to Rick's assertion that outside forces prevented "Vintage Style" from moving forward.

How could that even be possible?

Unless someone traveled to where you live and stole your soldering iron? Lol
  • Mattb likes this

Mike Swiss

#20 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Ken,

You just keep on making those drop arms, and any and everything else you can dream up!  I'll buy some.

John Havlicek makes H-Cans and is responsible for some truly beautiful motors.

We each do our own thing; please keep doing yours.

• olescratch likes this

#21 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Mike,

I've been wondering where that soldering iron got off to... :laugh2:

#22 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Ken -

Any chance your drop arms will be available to purchase?

Don

Don Weaver

​A slot car racer who never grew up!

The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

#23 grooverunner

grooverunner

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

Steve

I'll be doing what I'm doing, even if I there was no one else even interested in it I be doing it. Creating a car from raw materials and recreating vintage cars from them is my favorite part of Slot cars. Scratch building to the extreme.

Don,

They will be, I'm still working on them getting the quality dialed in with Steve O  and Rick Thigpen as the Quality Control experts. I figure if it's up to there quality level then  they will be salable.. Getting very close will announce here.

Ken

• olescratch likes this
Ken  Hill

#24 dc-65x

dc-65x

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,066 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Ken has kindly sent me his Team Nutley drop arm and it is truly beautiful. Thank you again for making them.

• havlicek and grooverunner like this

Rick Thigpen

#25 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:52 PM

Would it be possible to resin cast replacement enbells? I know that model car resin caster can make some rather complicated parts

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#26 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

Any useable drop arm is a good one and those Nutley ones look amazing :heart:

For replicas, clones and vintage style these are going to be perfect! Definitely a market for them.
  • havlicek and grooverunner like this

#27 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:48 AM

To be clear(er), just "vintage building" with these motors (let alone doing anything else with them) is becoming impossible.  As good and even "important" as collecting them is (*and it IS), it has also driven the cost of what parts remain towards "stoopid".  When the building stops, we get a little closer to losing the history and even the interest in the history.  "WE" all know that the hobby is unique.  It has fostered an interest in engineering, building and just plain old "hands-on" activities with all sorts of people young and old.  In the age of passive mouse-clicking and staring at computer screens, that's no small thing.

• slotbaker, Half Fast, boxerdog and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#28 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Would it be possible to resin cast replacement enbells? I know that model car resin caster can make some rather complicated parts

Yes, provided the resin has suitable characteristics (structural stability, toughness, heat resistance, etc.)  But the "fly in the ointment" is not the resin, it's the mold; making any kind of a decent mold will be quite expensive.

#29 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

I have made molds and done some resin casting of model car parts with nothing more than the part to be copied, some lego bricks to build a "tub" and some liquid silicone. The parts were not quite as intricate as a Mabuchi endbell but some were close and I am by no means an expert caster.

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#30 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:20 PM

What temp filament would be needed for endbells?

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#31 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

In the process of casting car bodies, the material that is used to make the molds could be used to make molds for endbells if you think about it.  Now how durable the material used to make the endbell itself would be the issue, in my opinion.  The amount of heat that the casting would stand, along with the other issue of available hardware, only add to the fact that the vintage well is running/ran dry!

John Stewart

#32 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

The method used by home 3-D printers, which use a low temp plastic filament, are not good for making endbells. Although

this has been hashed out before on this site, I will repeat that the powder medium printers are the best bet for making end-

bells in low volumes. You can even get medium to produce aluminum endbells.   

#33 Mbloes

Mbloes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:25 PM

Is Mura 2 hole "C" can stuff considered scarce?  I don't really track its availability because I've got a ton of it.

c can.jpg

• Jencar17, havlicek, Samiam and 1 other like this
Mike Bloes

#34 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

Is Mura 2 hole "C" can stuff considered scarce?  I don't really track its availability because I've got a ton of it.

attachicon.gifc can.jpg

Well, the end bell is made from a far better material Mike, so they have stayed around better than the Mabuchis.  I have "some", but not that much and would be happy to lighten your load! :)

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

#35 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

Two Russkit "22" motors reborn.  The one on the right is a 55/29 headed for European racing, and that wind is about as hot as makes any sense.  The one on the left is a 65/30, which will make for a fast and fun motor... MUCH faster and smoother than the original.  On both motors, the can got the same prep.  Blind bushing replaced with a 2mm x 5mm through bushing.  Magnets have been shimmed .004" per side, and together with the larger diameter .518" arms (*as opposed to the Mabuchi ,500") represents better than a .026" reduction in airgap.  Magnets set with a slug and epoxied-in.  Both end bells got similar upgrading, one with Parma hardware and one with Mura hardware.  Both arms go out for a very light grind and balance.

IMG_2302.JPG

• hiline2, Jencar17, boxerdog and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#36 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

attachicon.gifc can.jpg

Mike,

FWIW, Andrew Brown Searle, of AB Slotsport, is looking for a quantity of the Mura 2 hole C cans, I'm guessing for the awesome Tottenham Sports class, they run at their Retro events.

Contact him if you are looking to unload any.

Mike Swiss

#37 Mbloes

Mbloes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

Ha, well, I wasn't really thinking of selling anything, but just by these two responses it looks as though it is getting a bit scarce.

Mike Bloes

#38 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:33 PM

I guess if a ton is what makes you feel comfortable, hold on to all of it.

Mike Swiss

#39 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

I never met a Green Can I didn't like. :)

• boxerdog likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#40 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,730 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

Is Mura 2 hole "C" can stuff considered scarce? 

Mike, I wouldn't call them scarce, but they are getting more difficult to find in good shape. On the other hand, the Champion C-can is scarce & has been since about 1975. 

Bill Fernald

How old should a highway be before you tell it, that it has been adopted?

#41 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:53 AM

John

Man does not live by Mabuchi alone! 

Yes, maybe endbells are beginning to be scarce, but vintage comprises a heck of a lot more motors than cans! Just counting all the Pittman DC706s and Strombecker Destroyers floating around, not to mention the Kemtron X503, we can go vintage racing till the cows come home, or all the babyboomers die off, whichever comes first. (There are also a lot of faster open frame motors around by the way.)

What you're talking about is a very specific segment of vintage racing, ie, the higher-performance class. If you want to race with stock Revell SP500s, there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of those! 

As explained above, there's a (relatively) healthy vintage racing scene in Europe, but we've also lost a few events in the past few years. I now make it to Bordo twice a year, and have started again going to Double Trouble in England - the latter is a good example, because they have a special Big Birds event on Saturday, for 50s GP cars with frame motors, and 60s GPs with any period motor you want, then the usual 1/32 and 1/24 classes on Sunday, again with open motor choice, as long as it's period. No shortage of motors I can see, but every year a few more endbells go up in smoke (mine was a Dynamic GE Silver Hornet earlier this year). 

The sky is not falling, just a little part of it. 

Don 

• havlicek and boxerdog like this

#42 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:15 PM

Man does not live by Mabuchi alone!  Yes, maybe endbells are beginning to be scarce

Ha!  Hi Don, well, this one does (*pretty much).  I pretty much have stopped working on open frame motors, especially 5 poles.  Even the three poles with their nasty habit of the magnets going flat when you take them apart is a PITA.  Yes I know, I'm a regular low life.  :)  

"Beginning" to get scarce?  Yikes, any scarcer and they'd be unobtanium!

John Havlicek

#43 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:33 AM

Yes, I understand that John, I'm just saying that your title is a bit misleading: it's not the end of vintage racing, just a particular part of it is endangered in a sense.

Don  

• havlicek likes this

#44 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:19 AM

Yes, I understand that John, I'm just saying that your title is a bit misleading: it's not the end of vintage racing, just a particular part of it is endangered in a sense.

Don  

Of course you are correct Don!  I understand that a lot of vintage racing (*and building for that matter) doesn't involve the early Mabuchi can motors.  While the title here could be misleading, I think my first post clarifies what I'm referring to well enough.  The can motors quickly took-over the racing field, but Mabuchi's design (*and more importantly, materials) were self-limiting.  The motors were doomed to fail, and as people pushed them harder, they only failed faster.  These end bells now are really scarce, and even if you find them, they're just as doomed now as they were then.

***Interestingly, even the Mura 2-hole C can motor is now getting close to 50 years old (*I think).  While those motors are much more likely to survive, they don't seem to actually get raced or even just "run" in regular vintage events from what I understand, but I may be wrong about that.  Even those don't seem as plentiful today as they were just a few years back.  None of this is meant to be "chicken-little" type "the sky is falling" alarmism.  Just what I've noticed.

Eventually I may have to only build new(er) motors...YIKES!  THE SKY IS FALLING!!!  :D

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

#45 Mbloes

Mbloes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

***Interestingly, even the Mura 2-hole C can motor is now getting close to 50 years old (*I think).  While those motors are much more likely to survive, they don't seem to actually get raced or even just "run" in regular vintage events from what I understand, but I may be wrong about that. 

My take is that the two hole C can is going to be the A / B can of the future.  It was all we used when I raced "box stock" or "production" classes, which is why I now have a nice inventory.  I actually had the (accidental) foresight to keep stuff and not get rid of everything like I did in "Slot cars - Phase I".

Also, great post, Don.

• boxerdog and Samiam like this
Mike Bloes

#46 Mbloes

Mbloes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Mike, I wouldn't call them scarce, but they are getting more difficult to find in good shape. On the other hand, the Champion C-can is scarce & has been since about 1975. 

Bill, I don't know if you ebay, but there is an old Champion slot dude there - Rob Renninger - who literally has a ton of Champion inventory.  Right now, he has 18 C cans listed - 3 lots of 6.  I don't know what they go for, but he always has these listed.

Mike Bloes

#47 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

John, if FT16D Mabuchi's are getting scarce, maybe the remaining motors should be preserved and not modded? Then again, maybe at this point nobody really cares.

Phil Smith ® ™

#48 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

John, if FT16D Mabuchi's are getting scarce, maybe the remaining motors should be preserved and not modded? Then again, maybe at this point nobody really cares.

Nah Phil.  I'm sure there are plenty of fairly untouched ones out there.  I gotta make sure there are plenty of ones "touched" by me!  ;)

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

#49 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

Phil,

Even back in the day, these stock motors didn't stay that way for long. As soon as I was old enough to get near a soldering iron I was "touching" these motors.First dewinding, then some early re-winding attempts.But then I started racing at Roy Crawley's Phaze lll and we raced Green Can Muras and Parma 16-Ds. Never looked back. Now I am back to some re-winding attempts. Unfortunately I am no better at it today as I was when I was 12 years old. :scratch_one-s_head: 

But don't worry about John defiling all the virgin motors out there. He stays busy with his motors going to all corners of the world, but even if he lives to be 400 years old he still won't come close to "touching" all of them. Many will stay safe in the motor bays of NIB and MIB slot cars in the collections of Slot Heads all over the world.

• Half Fast and grooverunner like this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#50 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

Alright gentlemen. That makes sense. Never mind. :good:

Phil Smith ® ™

Electric Dreams Online Shop