2 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Bier

Ted Bier

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

Hi.

I just got some Atlas HO stuff, trying to get them going.

I have removed the can motor from chassis, and un-screwed only one side and cleaned the brush.

They other side was quite the hassle, got screw out, but the spring was firmly stuck in there and the long brush wouldn't come out for cleaning!

I was able to get it to run but only with direct power applied and me helping it out by spinning it.

I did put a tab of good old Aurora Special Racing Oil on the ends and worked it in.

When I had the can motor out.. .it looked like maybe you can take it apart by slipping the plastic out that is held by the metal casting???

Maybe then I can clean the armature and the other brush?

Help!

Thanks!

Ted

ATmot1.jpg

ATmot.jpg

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,293 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

Seems like you're on the right track with the brush and spring being a/the problem (*the motor looks otherwise very clean), but I have no clue about getting the motor apart.  ***Certainly the motor was made in the first place in parts that were assembled at the factory, so logic says that it should come apart, but getting it back together so it can be functional might be tricky.  I have no experience with these motors, and almost none with HO motors in general, but it sure looks like the steel sides just need to be bent outward where they form "clips" that secure the plastic.  Before reassembling, they would need to be bent inwards again so that they can re-grab the plastic.  Slipping a thin bladed screwdriver in there might be all that's needed...but you have to be willing to lose the motor before you dive-in.  Even if that's the case (*which I don't *think* it would be), at least you could maybe then see a better way to have at it and call it a learning experience.

***Of course, not being able to get the brush and spring off before slipping the plastic away from the steel means they might get damaged in the process.  If replacements aren't available (?), that could cause more actual problems than disassembling the motor.  Try and take extra care to see if, as the motor is being taken apart, you can either avoid damage or maybe try slipping a toothpick carefully between the brush end and the commutator to allow the com and any spacers (if there are any) to clear the brush and spring as you pull apart the motor.

John Havlicek

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

Look closely at the com wires to see none have come off. Best to use a magnifier.

This is usually the case when you have to push start.

Also, sometimes I've gotten these to go by lightly tapping the motor on a hard surface. Sometimes loosens things up just enough. You can use this method to get the brush out as well.

Lastly, you can keep the power on and keep spinning the pinion by hand. Sometimes they just start running this way.

Joe Lupo

Electric Dreams Online Shop