Photo

A different kind of Manta Ray (and a story)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

Check out this rare beauty.

https://www.ebay.com...3.c100033.m2042

These are rarely seen.

Back around 1972/73 I had my first job in Mineola bike. I was only 14 and could not get working papers but I begged the owners incessantly until they let me work there. I would ride my mini bike there ( about a mile and a half ) on school days and lock it to the fence. I would get out early at 11:30 for work release and walk back to the bike shop where I would work until 8 P.M. for the whopping sum of $1.65 an hour. Then I would ride the mini bike home after work. I doubt most youngsters today would have the same drive.

The guys that worked there were a wild bunch and taught me many lessons. On Fridays we would all start drinking about 6 or so when the boss would leave after giving us our checks. It was the days before direct deposit.

I would hide a six of Maximus Super ( look it up if you don't know ) in the training wheel bin and guzzle them down. They were very strong. I would then ride my mini bike home, sometimes not in a straight line.

Anyway, I do not remember too many of these selling back in the day. Mostly Krates. When the Krate craze died around '74 I remember they threw away all the Stingray parts to make room for the 10 speed stuff that was taking hold. I wish I had the hindsight to have grabbed it all. Grips,seats,Rams horn bars, 5 speed shifters, Schwinn decals etc. That junk is worth a fortune today.

• Samiam likes this

Joe Lupo

#2 Bob Kurkowski

Bob Kurkowski

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:47 AM

Joe,

Good story. Use to ride a well used Lil Indian minibike to work at a Shell gas station after school myself.

I only made $1.00 a hr. but I had money in my pocket.

Bob K.

• tonyp likes this

#3 garyvmachines

garyvmachines

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

My Brother had a RUPP Mini bike....... ( still have it !!)

We would ride that sucker all over .... Sometimes with the Cops behind !!

GAV

• miko likes this
Gary Vogeler

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Hey Bob, those Lil' Injuns are scarce.

Gary, the "rich" kid across the block had a Rupp Black Widow that we modded as I have written about in another post.

Rupp's are super collectible.

The Black Widow was the top of the line.

Check this out. 

http://blackwidowmot...pp_hustler.html

Joe Lupo

#5 Bob Kurkowski

Bob Kurkowski

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

Joe,

I got a original 72 Roadster that's a little rough but she flies with a straight pipe and a 22mm Mikuni carb that I have licensed for the street plus I'm putting together another 72 with all NOS parts.

I remember my first bike was a rat azz CAT or a Bird that had a dirty old pillow for a seat tied down with rope. She was a real pile but I was in the wind and the chicks dug it . LOL!

Bob K

Electric Dreams Online Shop