• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

I have often mentioned that my uncle Henry Benech worked for Aurora as a manager. He also had a plastic fabrication factory in Brooklyn where he molded track during the big boom in the 60's. He also made Lucite displays for other companies.

I was going through my attic and found a box from my mom's house. This was in it.

DSC09420.JPG

That's my uncle ( looking quite dapper I must say ) on the left standing with Abe Shikes the founder of Aurora. 

You can see a drafting table in the rear of the shot. Not sure if it is inside Aurora or my uncles factory. I only went there a couple times.

My uncle and my cousin John, both sadly deceased were master model builders. My uncles office was lined with beautifully built and detailed Aurora kits.

Although I was not into military my favorites were the Rat Patrol and Anzio beach built ups. 

My uncle was ahead of his time and even had a Kaiser Darrin and a MG roadster. 

Abe actually would come to my uncles house and have dinner and play cards with my dad and uncle among others.

I really did not know who he was at the time as I was about 8 or 9. He just looked like and old guy to me  :laugh2:

My mom told me that they all used to go dancing in Harlem and in Roseland in the city. My dad was a champion dancer.

Hope I did not bore you guys with all this but I want to keep the memories alive.

• Gene/ZR1, tonyp, Mike Patterson and 5 others like this

Joe Lupo

#2 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Great Joe.    We all like the background stories about slots and models.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#3 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

Not bored at all. Thank you for posting it.

My neighbors listen to heavy metal... whether they want to or not!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop