• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:44 PM

I will NEVER get tired of this stuff.  ;)

• slotbaker, miko, Mattb and 2 others like this

Michael J. Boruff

#2 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

A great time for racing in the US, Indy, Canam, Nascar, they were all great.   Now, not so much.   Bracket racing killed drag racing for me and my friends (the over 60 hot rod crowd), but all racing is in bad shape now.    I read the tv ratings for the last Nascar race and they said it was off 20% from last years ratings.   Last years ratings were off 23%.   Real simple math says the ratings were off 40% or more from 2 years ago.   That says it all about the status of motorsports in America.

• mike1972chev likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#3 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:16 AM

Matt,I think you said it ALL in your statement. I am in my 40s ,but STILL feel the exact same way you do about it. The 50s,60s and 70s were that "Golden Era" of racing. The 60s,early 70s would have been my FAVORITE years of drag racing personally,but I LOVED 80s Pro Stock also. Back when it was still raced by the guys who actually BUILT  them! This was the last of the era of Pro Stock racing being totally "He Man/Macho" bad ***. IMHO.   Then it just turned into people buying someone elses engine program and putting into a Jerry Bickle or HAAS chassis. 

Reher Morrison was my team.   :clapping:     Long live the memory of Lee Shepherd !!!!   RIP  

• Tim Neja and Mattb like this

Michael J. Boruff

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

Nothing beats Ronnie Sox, Dandy Dick or the Grump rowing a 4 speed crash box. No Lencos or exotic clutch setups. Just a Super T-10 or M-22 with modded synchros.

That was before 1973.

Just happy I was there to see many of these run in person back in the day.

The Hemi's were awesome but I was and still am a sucker for a small block Chevy launching at nearly ten grand.

Still remember when going 9.60 was an amazing feat. Then they were going 8.90's and that's all anybody could talk about in my circle of friends.

• Tim Neja and mike1972chev like this

Joe Lupo

#5 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

There is a ton of these videos on the web. I can spend a whole afternoon just watching them. And I agree, bracket racing

killed amateur drag racing. The first time my built Road Runner 440 got beat by a Chevy II with a four banger because I

broke out was the end for me. From that point on I only attended grudge race events.

#6 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:38 PM

Google Southeast Gassers!! These guys are STILL having BIG FUN with 4 speeds only and limited budget olde school 60's type gassers!!!  THAT is what drag racing was back in the day!! Very cool cars--- no electronics--DRIVE EM!!! 

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#7 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:39 PM

Tim, I know some of the guys in the Southeast Gassers and the Straight Axle Mafia and a few of those guys have some big budget cars!!!   They do put on a good show and get appearance money at most tracks.    They do bring back 60's style racing.

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#8 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

Nostalgia drag racing would be a big draw for me if I was still physically able to do it. The downside that I have seen

is that so many of the cars that attend only participate in the "cackle fest", and don't actually make runs. And don't

tell me about how they are trying to save their historic cars. There are lots of cars competing wheel-to-wheel at

vintage races that are worth many millions of dollars. The argument doesn't hold.

#9 mike1972chev

mike1972chev

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

I DO hear what you are saying Dave,but the BIGGEST reason you only see most of those vintage Top Fuelers  and Funny Cars do the cackle fest is they no longer meet safety requirements and will not certify. (Three point roll bars,outdated clutch,bellhousings,trans ,acceptable chassis construction,antiquated rear ends,etc....) Even when they restore those old dragsters,to totally update them to a TRULY certifiable car,it would NOT look much like the original car of the 60's it started out as....   I will use "The Jade Grenade" dragster  as an example. When they redid that car,they just made the choice of redoing it as an original so it had the correct look,meaning the old cage was retained along with other LONG outdated T/F items. And with those features along with running 90% PLUS Nitro charges in them THEY WERE A D*MNED GRENADE AND VERY DANGEROUS !!! !!!!!    :(   And like you said some just DO NOT want to risk a historic car,but STILL could not run it like they did back in the day anyway. They could do exhibition runs at some NHRA events,but they would be limited to how hard they got to run them and STILL would be subject to safety updated further changing the car.   Just another reason the car evolved out to the rear engine set up. But they do race nostalgia top fuel,but those cars do not really look like their original ancestors either sadly.  :(

Once  I got to hang out with one of my heros "Mousie Marcellus with the Winged Express.(RIP "Wild Willie")  They RACE that car Nostalgia STILL!!!! But it is SEVERELY changed and not much remains ANYTHING original to do it !!!  It  still looks SORT OF the same ,but it is something that even bothers him not being able to keep the car MORE original and still be legal.

NHRA throws complete fits over such things! Trust me,I I have been on the WRONG side with a few infractions myself once upon a time. :/   

• Half Fast and Tom Katsanis like this

Michael J. Boruff

#10 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:23 PM

All of those reasons also apply to Can-Am, and yet they still race them, often with engine technology which makes

them even faster than they were back in the day. As far as safety equipment, all but current spec roll cages can

be employed without serious changes to the original configuration of the car. When I go to a historic racing event,

the general feeling I get from the other racers is " Let's race these cars, so we can experience racing as it was

back then". I don't get that same impression from the guys running fuel or alcohol dragsters. The lower classes 

look like they are more into the experience.

Electric Dreams Online Shop