6 replies to this topic

#1 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

0000   AZGR logo 2014 copy 4.jpg

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving this year, we all have so much to be thankful for and in the case of the AriZonaGarageRacers that includes;

SLOTCAR RACING !

So this year was no exception to how much fun this event has become over the years. Before I finish my outline I always take a minute to look at previous year's postings and This time I was a little concerned that it was going to be hard to follow 2016 because we had had so many upgrades to the tent and garage and the track and the only thing I added this year was four 50 gallon trash barrels partially filled with water and ropes thrown across the 1,152 square ft. "Main Sail" or as we used to jokingly call it

"The Bigtop".

It's really just a 24'X48' tarp but it seems like every now and then the wind wants to try to send it flying down the street and that sucks while you're trying to race!

What we did add to the event to make it great was two first time racers. Jason Vespender, Pete's son has raced with us at other venues but this was his first time on the big track here. Likewise, Herb Morris has been coming to the race for a few years and his grandson Brandon has raced but Herb finally picked up a controller and stepped into the last race of the day. Sometimes I think he might just be a little shy... :laugh2:

Herb's NASCAR.jpg

We started building the tent at Sunrise and had it and the track up and running in about an hour and then hung out practicing, etc. until the Vespenders arrived and then we settled into a relaxed schedule that I revised as we went.

I had optimistically proposed 10 races but with more racers this year we settled for 6 run in the old raceway formula of 3 minute heats per lane.

We kicked it off with Scaleauto GT

1 Scaleauto .jpg

It came down to just a few feet on the same lap but I managed to edge out Rick Schonfeld while Cruzin' Bob Scott was trying to track us down!

It was for the Money!

No, really. We normally have prizes like slot stuff or gift cards but Bob sponsored this race with cash, an AZGR first.

2 Money.jpg

Next up was what we call Slot-it Foams. These are 1980's GroupC and GTP cars with inline FC-130 type 21K > 23K rpm motors running on Scaleauto SC-2009 foam tires.

Last year we expanded the rules to allow other period correct cars from other manufacturers and 3D printed chassis and the various offset motor pods along with a few other small things like guide flags and lead wires from other companies. Last year a few tried the offset pods and this year I decided to try the SRC Lola T-600 on a

CG Slotcars chassis with a Devis 3D inline motor pod and a Policar PMX01 FF motor and Steve Hill decided to follow suit. Mine's the red one, his is yellow.

They didn't have an advantage...

3 Slot-it Foams.jpeg

Rick Schonfeld led the field for a nice close race followed by Bob Scott and Mike Paquette.

6 Slot-it Winner.jpeg

4 Slot-it Foams on Track Steve Hill.JPG

This looks like a good spot to take 5.

I'll come back and post more races ASAP.

• Mattb likes this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#2 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:27 PM

Part Two

H&R Sportscars were next. These are always fun and a hard fought battle. With the pink/purple ish BRM motor and Silicoated®️ foam tires they almost too fast!

7 H&R Sportscars.jpeg

This time it was Cruzin Bob's turn to just edge out Rick and the rest of us were back there in the dust!

8 H&R Sportscars Winner Bob.jpg

So how do you follow good, close racing? With the race that we all have been anticipating in the past few months and we ran it IROC style.

I follow a Mr. Robert Taylor on Facebook, he owns a fabrication shop in the South and turns out replicas of old turn of the (last) century motor bikes and little racecars , restores motorcycles and does just about anything including building cool slotcars and tracks. Well he had built some Indycars out of a case of old model kits and a bunch of used H&R chassis. I love it, so when he decided to sell them I grabbed one he had made the rear wing for out of sheet brass. Like I said, Cool!

These are not hard to make the only unusual tool you need on your slot bench is Tin Snips to trim the chassis. Or make you own wings...

Here's one I did.

IMG_8047.jpg

IMG_8048.jpg

9.1 H&R Indycars by Steve Hill.JPG

10 H&R Indycar IROC.jpeg

Rick, Bob and Steve Hill rocked this IROC.

After watching Peter Anthony Vespender enjoy these cars it occurred to me that I didn't need two of them and having one would make his day.

So here's a little something for our friend Pete, hand built by Robert Taylor himself and complete with a sheet metal rear wing.

Enjoy it Pete!

Pete's.jpeg

That was a hoot, we took the pictures before the race so you could see the cars with all the wings attached but amazingly only 2 of the 4 cars lost a front wing or two.

So in all the hubub Roger Gunning the Owner of Speed & Sports Hobbies, our new local Raceway came by with a parts delivery and a bag of goodies and asked for a hat...

He proceeded to hand out tickets to put our names on and held a drawing. Everyone was a winner but there were some pretty cool prizes mixed in among the tools and goodies.

One was a Fly Porsche Evo that went to Pete, Mike Paquette won a Sideways Group5 BMW and to top it of Cruzin Bob Scott won one of the new REVO Porsche GT3s.

Thank you Roger Gunning and Speed & Sport Hobbies in Mesa AZ.

14 Marshalling the Vortex by Bob Scott.jpg

Doobie Marshaling both levels of the Vortex.

Photo by Bob Scott

Time for another break and then we'll finish this thing!

• Mattb likes this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#3 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

Have you got some pix of the complete track?    Looks like you are  using silicone coated Pro Track or a rubber compound.   Is that what you run?

Great report.

mb

• Dayble likes this
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#4 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Black Friday Part 3

Tent City

16 Tent City by Stan FerrisBF 2017 4.jpg

BRM "Mixed" was our next line up. Everyone ran 917s and 512s except Steve Hill and I, we wanted to run GroupC.

I ran my Toyota 88C and he ran his Sauber Mercedes C9

11  BRM Mixed Classes.jpeg

Rick ran away leaving Stan Ferris and Mike Paquette to hold a race for second and third in BRM Classics!

Steve Hill's  Sauber bested my Toyota by two laps in GroupC.

15 Fun racing with Jason Vespender by Bob Scott .jpg

Jason sleepwalking through the tent. 😳 Give that man some Coffee!

12.1 carrera classics.jpeg

1/24th Carrera Classics

When I was asking what we should race Lee Bumbalow suggested something we hadn't raced in a while and so I asked him if his Carreras were up and running so we could do an IROC type race with them. He gave them all a once over and I checked out mine for spares and we put them out for the last race of the day as it was getting dark.

Thank You Lee!!!

12 Carrera Classics .jpeg

Rick did it again!!! (It's his Super Power!)

Stan got me by my wingspan. (about 5 feet)

The only bad part was that because I don't have the leader board showing all 10 racers we can't see Brandon and Herb Morris in what was Herbs first race since dirt was new.

All in all it was a great day. The guys helped me drop the tent, tear down the track and store it against the walls of the garage and I thanked them and sent them out on the streets. Rick to Tucson, Lee to Payson, the Morris boys to the West Valley and Mike and the Vespenders to the far East Valley. Stan and Steve live fairly close but I sent them packing too and I put on some tunes and figuratively packed the rest of my 1000 pounds of race stuff into it's 10 pound bag...

Until Spring Time.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#5 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Matt,

The picture in my last posting is as close as I have to a shot of the full track. I'll try to find one and add it here later.

As far as the tires, we run everything. silicoated foam, Scaleauto, BRM, JK, etc. foam, Silicone Super Tires, PG Urethane, NSR rubber and silicone Indygrips ("new type", LOL )  I even am thinking of running some 1/32 on Slot-it F22 rubber.

• Mattb likes this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#6 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:09 PM

Here you go Matt,

I designed the track originally in'08 as a big modified oval and then in '15 redesigned one of the 8 ft. sections into the "Vortex" to turn it 90º to make it more technical and to also give myself a 3 section set up that fits in the garage with the door down and the AC on.

Cruisin Bob Scott executed with saws and hammers and made my napkin sketches into 3D.

The full set up is 80+ ft. and 30 something in the 3 piece config.

2015 Full 5 section set up.jpg

And with 3 sections fully indoors.

Vortex 3 Arial Shot copy.jpg

Looking at it this morning after some coffee I noticed that the top picture is only four sections (It will set up a few other ways too.) The maxxed out five section layout adds another 8 ft. straight section between the chicane and the bank for a 24 ft. back straight.☕️

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#7 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:14 AM

Dave,
This looks like a great event on a fun track. I read about it each and every year and the event gets better with age (unlike many of us). I hope to get down to AZ to race with a great bunch of guys again!

Rich Vecchio
  • Dayble likes this

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop