Sales online vs. raceways

68 replies to this topic

#26 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

That would be the second portion of their business where they act as a fulfillment center for manufacturers and brands. 

Effectively "I design widget x and manufacture it overseas whereupon containers arrive at a port and pallets are distributed to Amazon for warehousing and digital distribution."
Operator - Haven Raceway in Elyria, OH
Series Director - Ohio Challenge Cup

#27 Rick Moore

Rick Moore

CMF3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Greg, you’ll get no argument from me regarding the importance of “visibility” of the hobby, especially with the internet being such a massive broadcast platform for advertising and general promotion.

So, let’s offer some ideas about how this other facet for consideration could be accomplished. Let’s consider the collective approach again.

Would it be possible to set-up an online “organized association” (somehow I have trouble using the word “organized” when it comes to slot cars, but that might just be from looking at my work bench…) that manufacturers, raceways, clubs, and racing organizations could join that would generally promote the hobby through online advertising, while specifically listing/linking the members and their products/services? Again, who would take on initial set-up and maintenance, and how would they be compensated? What would be the fee for membership (annual might be reasonable for assessment)? How would it be set-up to give a greater online visibility to the hobby, and promote all facets (scale, class, etc.) of slot cars?

Yes? No? Maybe? Any other ideas?

Rick / CMF3

#28 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

My "two cents" and it may not be worth that.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Mid-America Raceway has a "brick & mortar" space with racing. Roger built an online business that is obviously thriving. I buy a lot of parts online because we don't have an operating track close, however I only try to purchase from on-line sellers that actually run a race place. These guys put in the time and effort to set-up an online shop to supplement their revenue. Chicagoland, Hudson Valley, Tom Thumb Hobbies, Mid-America, and PCH are all places I buy from. Matt Sheldon is opening a new track in my neck of the woods and when he does, I will be buying the majority of my parts from him primarily so that I have a place to race and also because Matt knows what his racers will need and buy and I'm sure he will stock accordingly.

My personal opinion is that buying from the aforementioned sellers and your local track is the start of the solution. And for all of the track owners that do not offer online sales maybe its time to think about moving into the technology age. 

• olescratch likes this

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing

Retro Racing

"Till the wheels fall off"

Romans 1:16 "... for I am not ashamed of the Gospel"

#29 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

Honestly, guys, I need to leave Slotblog alone for a few hours, as Proof 1 of the next Jaguar Journal has arrived and I need to go through it with the proverbial fine-tooth comb today.

Rick, I've been saying for years, to the point to there are a few who get irritated with me when I repeat it, that the 1/24 commercial hobby is where it is today because of an almost total lack of leadership, focus, and direction. 

What you propose is certainly doable, and you are correct in saying how to make it happen is the real issue.

There are three groups who should have a vested interest in promoting and supporting such an organization: the racers, the track owners, and the manufacturers.

As a rule, almost all racers are so price-sensitive that most elect to buy online when they're asked to pay just a little more at the track for the same product. IMO not much chance any significant number of them will pony up to financially support your proposed org.

As JK found, there doesn't even seem to be even a decent level of support for any new initiatives among the community of track owners in 1/24 slot racing in the US, even when they are the beneficiaries. Those who have been involved in this hobby long enough will recall how poorly the track owners supported the TOAA/TOA when all it asked for was $60 annual dues. Less than half of the raceways signed up back when there were probably four or five times as many commercial raceways as there are today.

And the slot car manufacturing community has a long history of animosity to each other. Can you think of any single instance of co-promotion among them within the 1/24 hobby in the last three or four decades? I can't. And we have so few healthy and profitable manufacturers in the 1/24 space right now, most being very small or cottage-industry operations.

If there was signficant 'buy-in' from all three groups, I do think it is emminently doable. But history says there's very little chance of that.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#30 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:59 PM

The slot car business model as professed by Swiss, and a couple of others, may work well in some locations in the USA.

But what happens to those of us living overseas (i.e. outside the borders of the USA) or those who live hundreds of miles (many hours travel) from a commercial raceway?

Sadly, mail order is our only rescue.  :(

Maybe there is no real answer.

#31 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

So buy from raceways and not from sellers with no track.

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing

Retro Racing

#32 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,430 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:12 PM

Or "raceways" that have a track as a skirt around the rules, and use it primarily as a shipping counter.

I recently made the difficult decision to quit selling a large volume customer, based on them currently operating primarily as a mail order business.

• JimF likes this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#33 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

Zip,

The thread is really meant to focus on the situation in the Americas, North and South, as that's where the majority of the world's commercial raceways are located.

In fact, is there even one commercial, retail raceway in NZ?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#34 Rick Moore

Rick Moore

CMF3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

Greg... Yup.

One of the complaints I recall from the TOA era was the lack of a defined process for promotion, and a general lack of application, much less any other services to the slot car community. Being second-hand, it may or may not be a viable point…

And some might note sadly it is also indicative of the historically evident general lack of cooperation within the wide expanse of the slot car hobby. At times it appears as if there is general acceptance, apathy, or dismissive portents of doom that precludes any altruistic concerns for the future, much less growth, of the hobby.

I keep visualizing a street block with a bunch of grumpy old men sitting on their front porches all yelling, “Get off my lawn!”

Yep, that’s us. LOL

But like any other dysfunctional family, no matter how weird, we’re still family… okay, some really weird, but still…

I seriously doubt any person or group of people within the slot car hobby could create an all-encompassing slot car organization for promotion of the hobby.

So, how do we break the cycle? How do we go about convincing everyone, manufacturers, raceways, racers and hobbyists, it is in all our best interests? What would be the promotion model and how would it be best implemented/accomplished? Would it be better to have this “organization” actually handled under the auspices of some outside-the-hobby agency whose business is advertising and promotion?

Any other constructive ideas? Any ideas how it could be pulled off? Who’s up next? Not Greg, obviously, he thinks he can just take time off… slacker… LOL

Swing, batter, batter, batter…

Rick / CMF3

#35 Shooter7mustang

Shooter7mustang

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

I understand that perfectly, Mike, but of the tracks I listed I only know you, Jim, and Mike have legitimate raceways.

Kevin Myhaver

Bad Dog Racing

Retro Racing

#36 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

Greg,

I realise that, but what gets under my craw is the persistent chant/belief of "I am right, and you are wrong" - period!

Posters should remember that this is an International forum, and as such, comments directed at one particular audience, affect others.

I have previously asked, what other successful business model is based on the "slot car model"?

#37 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:25 PM

I have previously asked, what other successful business model is based on the "slot car model"?

Now there's an interesting question because the "slot car raceway" business model is an absolute muddle. We're retailers, event coordinators, a sporting venue, and an amusement hall all in one. 

If you were to imagine each of those functions as part of a pie chart, you can then vary the slices of the pie based upon the raceway owner's predilections. For instance, my shop has foregone rentals and parties, taking out the "amusement" slice to focus more attention on selling parts (retail), organizing weekly racing (sporting venue) and hosting travelling series (event coordinator). 

Granted, Haven is also a full-line hobby shop, so "Retail" is the slice of the pie we're always most acutely aware of, but understanding the roles the business plays (and how often contradictory those roles are) helps add up to why a successful raceway is a rare beast. 

#38 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

The model we need is the one that's been successful for the smaller scales: produce/provide a product the public will buy.

The stand-alone 1/24 commercial slot car raceway as it has developed is of little interest to the general public.

The cars are not toys that appeal to kids and the model car racing aspect has almost disappeared under the onslaught of tracks and equipment designed for speed.

I realize I'm off on the old negativity thing here but the truth is we're trying to sell something hardly anyone wants.

I do respect those who propose new ways to perhaps suck more blood out of the turnip, but it's still a turnip, eh?

These discussions always remind me of the scene in "The Matrix"... just as there's no spoon to bend, there's nothing in our current unrealistic business model that can be translated into viability in the real world.

• Mattb likes this

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#39 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,430 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:31 PM

Yes, Jim, like we've talked about a half dozen times before.

The slow, decent-looking 1/24 car that retails for $30-$35, that people can race once or twice a month, or once or twice a year.

• tonyp, JimF and Justin A. Porter like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#40 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:46 PM

The stand-alone 1/24 commercial slot car raceway as it has developed is of little interest to the general public.

No argument at all, Jim. The 'bowling ball' slot car, eh?

But how many bowling balls would be sold if the overwhelming majority of the general public had never been inside or even seen a bowling alley and/or doesn't even know they exist, nor has any reason to have that activity on his list of potential leisure-time activities?

Gregory Wells

#41 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:49 PM

If you look at the train hobby, it's the manufacturers that have gotten together to standardize things for the benefit of all. IMO, this would help slot racing a lot, as opposed to the constant proliferation of the "next best thing." 

Track owners seem to be a fiercely independent breed, and doubt they would agree on much for very long.  :crazy:
  • Cheater likes this
"Whatever..."

#42 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

Not meaning to tar every raceway owner with the same brush, but I can't tell you how many times experienced slot car people have expressed to me their opinion that the biggest problem in the 1/24 slot car industry is the raceway owners. Again, their opinion, not mine.

• Mattb, Samiam and David Reed like this

Gregory Wells

#43 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,182 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

Whoa, let's not group them all as bad; I've met some excellent raceway owners.  :good:

And some others I won't mention.  :o

Paul Wolcott

#44 jimht

jimht

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

Yoh, watch it, Greg... :laugh2:  What is an "experienced slot car people"? That's sounds like the do it my way crowd that hasn't been very helpful.

Slot car racers have opened raceways for racing, usually with good intentions and liking racing very much themselves... not so much their fault that they hung their hats on a group of customers that went off to play lawn darts or skydive. If they'd been told that was coming, they might have reconsidered.

Again, again and again, even with smarts and proper funding, the business model is flawed.

A bowling ball slot car is not a solution that will keep raceways in business... it's just something to sell that doesn't include a bendomatic chassis and a tissue paper body.

I'd really rather sell a kid multiple cheap toy cars than one tank.

Jim Honeycutt

"I don't think I'm ever more 'aware' than I am right after I hit my thumb with a hammer." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

#45 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

Same old story... First off, brick and mortar sales will become dinosaurs, unfortunately. Look at the record number of store closings this year by big companies, not mom and pop stores. Does anybody think that is going to change. People can't drive a block, eat a meal of go to the head without a phone so they can be online. Sorry, but that is the future for more and more sales as time goes on. Slot stuff will be no different. Hoping for that  to change is futile. 

All manufacturers have one primary interest, that is to make income to live on today and it is not to further slot racing for the next 25 years. It is about making a living today. It's the same primary goal for raceway owners that are serious about their business. They want to make a good living today as their #1 goal. Everything else comes in second behind this. Furthering the hobby, and where to order, how much inventory to keep, it all comes second to making a living.   

We have a handful of slot track operators on this forum that run great businesses. My experience with the tracks I have been in is the operators are not great business men and do not run tracks like Porter and Swiss. I even had a guy tell me he didn't want some other slot racers and types of cars in his shop because it would require him take time from working on his cars to actually run his business and make more money!! He made it clear he didn't want anything to do with 1/32 RTR stuff, which is the biggest part of the hobby and probably the only real future.   

As long as we have this kind of free, capitalistic economy, things will shake out the way they will. Any kind of rules and regulations on sales will not keep tracks alive or further the hobby.    

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#46 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

To add to what Matt said, this showed up today in a nationally-syndicated consumer advocate's 'Daily Deals" email newsletter

"The new year could be another difficult one for traditional retailers. After closing more than 5,000 stores in 2017, we’re already getting word of closings for 2018. 2018 retail closings: What you need to know."

And now to disagree with Matt a little...

People can't drive a block, eat a meal, or go to the head without a phone, so they can be online.

I don't think this is 100% accurate across all generational segments, but it is certainly true for a signficant percentage of people less than a certain age point and yes, the percentage that act this way is only going to grow, absolutely. Me, I never take a phone to the throne unless I'm already on a call, can't easily hang up, and can't wait. Nor do I usually take my phone for a short trip to the C-store. If I'm doing yardwork (rare, I admit) the phone stays in the house. Sure, the cellphone zombies are taking over the world, but they haven't succeeded... yet.

All manufacturers have one primary interest, that is to make income to live on today and it is not to further [an industry, hobby, or leisure-time activity] for the next 25 years... They want to make a good living today as their #1 goal. Everything else comes in second behind this.

Again, I feel this is overly broad. There are a non-trivial (but not a majority) number of people today who don't have to worry any more about making a living (wish I was one of them). I don't think Bill Gates worries about that at all these days, for an extreme example. I know a lot of folks in other arenas who expend a significant part of their day-to-day activties in altruistic efforts to make the lives of subsequent generations better and more enjoyable, and in a non-trivial number of cases their activities involve a love of the hobbies and leisure-time activities that they have enjoyed during their lifetimes. In some cases, it involves trying to make sure industries, museums, insititutions, events, organizations, special-interests of manifold types, etc., etc., don't stumble, fall, and crash and burn. My life-experience so far has proved to me that not everyone is a card-carrying member of the only-me-me-me generation, although that attitude is way more common than it ought to be.

Look at investors in the stock market. Yes, the focus overwhelmingly is on short-term profits, but that is not exclusively the case. There are investors who embrace the long-term and very long-term perspectives.

As long as we have this kind of free[, capitalistic economy, things will shake out the way they will.

So human history and the direction society in its entirety ends up taking is essentially totally random, unaffected by the actions of individuals and groups of individuals? I believe there's a incredible amount of evidence to suggest that is not the case. I'm thinking Jefferson, Edison, Ford, FDR, MLK, and could go on for days, maybe weeks.

One last point, if everyone is a cellphone zombie these days, why are certain kinds of non-virtual leisure-time activities achieving stability and, in some cases, growth. How much windsurfing or disc golf did you see as a kid? How much rock-climbing? How much mountain-biking? Why are vinyl records making a comeback, when digital media and music downloads are so much easier and cheaper. Why has the racing genre of drifting grown so rapidly in recent years? Why is gardening as a hobby growing noticeably? How can the generic crafts genre support major retail empires like Hobby Lobby and Michael's? I don't believe these things occurred spontaneously and if you're claiming that's the case, we'll have to agree to disagree.

• NSwanberg likes this

Gregory Wells

#47 JimF

JimF

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:34 PM

The slow, decent-looking 1/24 car that retails for $30-$35, that people can race once or twice a month, or once or twice a year.

While many would pooh-pooh, this concept I think it's the way to go. For one thing, if a car like that is the only thing on the track, the newbie doesn't know it's slow. In the same vein, they don't know that a 100' Kingleman or Orange is a "small" track. They don't know or care that a six-lane track is somehow wrong just because it doesn't have eight lanes or that it isn't a King track.

Not that I have any interest in opening a commercial raceway, but if I did, that's the type of format that I'd try to shoot for. Maybe a Kingleman or orange as a speedway then something even smaller for home track type cars. The footprint wouldn't need to be huge, overhead could be lower and you could build your own clientele without having to bother with the SCMs.
  • tonyp likes this
Jim Fowler

#48 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:40 PM

So commercial slot racing is a 'Field of Dreams'? Just build it 'properly' and 'they' will come in sufficient numbers to stabilize and/or grow the commercial raceway industry?

Don't get me wrong, the BB slot car concept in its various iterations is a great idea with lots of merit.

But whatever impact it might achieve greatly depends on whether 500,000 or 100 million people become aware of it and learn just what enjoyment they can use it to experience. Preaching to the choir is typically not an impactful approach.

Gregory Wells

#49 Justin A. Porter

Justin A. Porter

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

Another angle to consider is the "why" of the purchases existing customers make. 

Effectively, the motive behind 1/24slot car purchases is either "I used it up" or "It makes me go faster." These are not invalid motivations, particularly given the unique position of 1/24 commercial slot car racing as primarily a leisure sport as opposed to a form of modeling as per its 1/32 homeset counterpart. 

But, these do put the available products into some very tight boxes. Effectively, if it doesn't "make me go faster" it's not something that has a sales angle, regardless of availability, packaging, price point(!), or aesthetic. 

With only one available sales pitch, and one that can be measurably true or false, there is a huge limitation on what kinds of products have sales potential at a raceway. 

As a comparison, I stock 1/35 armor kits by a host of manufacturers, many of whom have tooled up kits of the same subject matter. As an example, from my primary wholesaler I have the option of German King Tiger tanks from seven different manufacturers, with MSRPs ranging from $44.99 to $94.95, and oddly enough each one has individual merits that allows me to recommend it to suit different modelers based upon features they want and can do without. 

Allowing room for more subjective reasoning to drive purchases gives more sales opportunities. Our 1/32 brethren have this down to a tee with multiple highly-anticipated product releases mapped out and publicized through the year. What in 1/24 commercial slot cars was anticipated for sale this year? Was promoted as the big upcoming release? 

These are fundamental retail questions, and the answers don't reflect well on what we offer to the public.
  • Cheater likes this

#50 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:19 AM

The only thing I buy from brick and mortar stores anymore is food. Groceries and meals. Everything else I mail order. And almost all online purchases are from eBay and Amazon. I hate that only two companies are getting the majority of my business, but I also hate going to a store. Really hate it. Always have. So my shopping habits are not going to change.

And I'm obviously not the only one. I'm sure there will always be brick and mortal stores, but they're never going to be what they once were.

Phil Smith ® ™

Electric Dreams Online Shop