1 reply to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

Working through various aspects of some motors, I got these two done.  On the left is the motor I made a full can shim for out of a C can.  It got a set of yellow dots and a Hong Kong Mabuchi endbell.  I built and did a reverse-wind (* TMH Power)  38/27 for that bad boy.  On the right is a motor I had originally painted white, but I marred the white paint (dagnabbit!), so I repainted it Duplicolor Hi Temp Green.  I also added an end bell collar to reinforce the "Mabuchi Crack" (no, it has nothing to do with plumbing).  It got a set of Hong Kong Mabuchi magnets which were shimmed tight.  That one got the good old "55/29" rewind.

IMG_2349.JPG

• slotbaker, Tex, boxerdog and 4 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:58 AM

Assembly/testing of the green "22" is done.  As I've said before, even with the stock magnets (OK...well these are from the later Hong Kong motors, and measure around 10% better on average than the older Japanese magnets), there's plenty of potential for turning one of these into a race motor.  The extra benefits of the hardware, not just the larger brushes, but more metal to heat-sink the end bell, really come into play here.  The motor is surprisingly fast and torquey, no doubt the tight setup helps.  It draws just over 1 amp at 6V, and runs really smooth as well.  Not totally a "vintage" setup, but a good compromise in my view.  Even if installed end bell drive (*wouldn't be my choice), the only mod required for a stock bracket would be to open-up the center hole.  Running it can drive would take a lot of stress off the flimsy Mabuchi end bell bushing.  Either way is open with the dual-shaft, but this one definitely gets "the sticker".  :)

IMG_2350.JPG

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop