Photo

Another way around Mabuchi FT16D endbell Issue(s)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:51 PM

Here's another Russkit "22" type motor can, with yet another end bell solution.  This end bell came from an odd-but-cool Johnson (Hong Kong) motor, probably of later-ish 1960's vintage.  These motors are somewhere between the 16D and 26D size-wise, so the end bell in stock form doesn't fit either.  On the good side, the end bell is molded from a really durable material that seems to be the same as that of the Hong Kong Mabuchi "160" motors.

On the right is the original weird end bell/hardware.  In the center is the finished modified end bell.  It took quite a bit to get from there to here though, and the Sherline mill makes it pretty straight forward.  After a bunch of milling operations, it turns out that Mura "C" can end bell hardware, with "B" bottom plates is a pretty much dead-bang fit...although after some modifications there as well.  Is it worth it?  Yes.  The Mabuchi can is, to my mind better than modern D motor cans, but even with all that aside...this motor is pretty much all vintage, or at least it could be.  :)  I added another internal can shim and a set of STRONG ceramics.

Not only did I drill the can for mounting (*and pressed a "dual-shaft" blank), but I had to also drill the end bell here, as the stock end bell had no mounting holes.  Everything lines up just dandy, and the shaft is a "drop-through".

IMG_2360.JPG

• slotbaker, proptop, C. J. Bupgoo and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

BTW, the modified Johnson end bell is a really nice, snug fit for the can...much more so than the Mabuchi end bell made for the can.  :)

John Havlicek

#3 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:19 AM

Beautiful pieces John. Now the master adds the finishing touches to make the creature come ALIVE!!

• havlicek likes this
John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

Beautiful pieces John. Now the master adds the finishing touches to make the creature come ALIVE!!

Thanks a heap John.  I like this kind of adaptation in particular because the basic pieces are all "vintage" and not at all out of the range of things people would have, could have, and probably did do.  We did all sorts of crazy stuff to these motors back then to not just try and make them go faster...but to actually last a while before the smoke came out.  :D  Here I am all these years later still at it, although I can do things now I didn't have a clue about back then.

***I still get the same charge when they spin-up for the first time as I did when I was a kid.  The only difference now is that I'm more confident they will run well.  ;)

• boxerdog likes this
John Havlicek

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

So the lams get straightened out and powder coated after spacing the arm (again here as a "dual shaft"), to come up with a finished "blank".  Then it's on to winding.  This one also gets the classic 55/29 "race wind".  In this setup, this will be a very fast armature indeed.  While the 50/29 is more common, I like the extra torque and safety those "extra" five turns bring to the table.

This time I figured I'd take a picture before it gets brazed and tied/epoxied:

IMG_2363.JPG

• slotbaker, Samiam, Geary Carrier and 2 others like this
John Havlicek

#6 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

Thanks John...

• havlicek likes this

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

Got back to finishing-off this arm.  This wind makes for a VERY fast Mabuchi, so giving the arm and the setup the same attention as some big wire scary motor is just as important here.  The force is strong with this one  ;)

FT16D.jpg

• Samiam likes this
John Havlicek

#8 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:06 PM

Nice!

John Stewart