12 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,423 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know the status of the Tom Scott collection cars.

Working steadily, I've shipped about half the cars, money-wise, so I could get a good chunk of the funds sent off to Tom. The total of the cars and other items sold is approaching $15K and I've sent Tom a bit over $7K so far. 

I've been shipping cars to bidders who won multiple cars first; one member won 17 cars and a bunch of folks took five or more. Again, the idea is to get more money to Tom sooner.

I'll be invoicing a good number of the remaining winners over the next few days, so if you haven't heard from me yet, expect something soon.

Those winners outside of the US will, unfortunately, be the last ones invoiced, simply due to the complications of overseas shipping and insurance. My apologies for that, but I have to take overseas packages to the PO to make sure I charge the shipping accurately and therefore overseas shipments require two trips per package to the PO.

There may be one more car to list and then there are going to be several 'grab bags' of assorted parts, some vintage and some recent. But I'm going to get all the cars shipped out before organizing and photographing the grab bag stuff.

So far, all the outbound shipments seemed to all have arrived without damage, which pleases me as I have been very particular regarding the packing materials being used.

• Jairus, Half Fast, havlicek and 7 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Steve Okeefe

Steve Okeefe

We're all mad here

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

Greg,

Thanks for the update; looks like the sale is going very well!

I also sincerely hope Tom himself is doing as well as possible.

You are going to extraordinary lengths to help Tom with this sale; far beyond what could ordinarily be expected from any one individual. I know it's in your nature to do these things, but here's a big thank you anyway; thanks for all you do for us.

• Cheater, Jairus, Half Fast and 7 others like this

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,385 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:28 AM

I couldn't possibly have said it any better than Steve, Greg. Add me to the list of appreciative folks who've got to know you through Slotblog, and I too hope Tom is doing as best as he can.

John Havlicek

#4 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

This is a very good thing in so many ways:

- It raises money for Tom's family.

- Saves the family the effort of trying to properly dispose of the collection for maximum gain.

- Puts the collection in the hands of those who will appreciate them.

Godspeed, Tom.

Thank you, Greg, for making this happen; you are a "Mensch*.

Cheers,

* a person of integrity and honor

• Cheater and eshorer like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#5 tjsguns

tjsguns

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

I thank everyone who was involved in this project profusely. If you bought a car or anything else, if you commented in one of the posts, if you contributed in any way... God bless you!!! I have never seen so many people, so willing to help someone in a difficult situation like mine.

All of you have literally been keeping me alive with God's help for the past five or six months.

I just celebrated a year since I was diagnosed and they only gave me three or four months to live at that time. It's God and all you guys, especially you, Greg, that have have given me this extra blessing.

I hope that someday, sometime, in Heaven, I am able to do half of what all of you have done for me.

God bless you and your families and may you have the best Christmas and New Year ever!!!

Tom

• Horsepower, Half Fast, Frankie Schaffier and 3 others like this
Thomas J Scott

#6 Uglobe

Uglobe

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Greg,

Just doing a follow-up on the four cars I was winning bidder for Tom's collection. No rush...

Again, thank you for all you have done.

Steve

Steven Weekley

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,423 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:17 AM

Steven,

I am in FL for a few days and will be back home by the weekend.

A little embarrassed not to have more of these cars in the hands of their new owners by now, but the number of cars was about 3-4 times what I initially expected.

Thanks for everyone's patience!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#8 grooverunner

grooverunner

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:30 PM

Greg,

No complaints or worries here about the time frame, extremely glad you helped out Tom like that it's above and beyond in my book :good: .

Enjoy yourself and have a Merry Christmas

Ken

• Cheater likes this
Ken  Hill

#9 Uglobe

Uglobe

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

Greg, don't be embarrassed. What you have done for Tom is above and beyond what most people would do. Especially, at this time of the year, makes it even more special.

I haven't raced a slot car since the '60s. Thought I could help out... and now I'm looking forward to getting on the track.

Steve
Steven Weekley

#10 casady

casady

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:53 AM

I know it's hard for his family to have to go through this; I hope them the best.

I have worked on many of his cars and painted many of them over the years, i did a lot of them between 2004 and 2008, when I had a shop in Bay Harbor, MI.

Hope for the best for him and the family.  

• Cheater likes this
Stephen Casady

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,423 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:27 PM

You guys deserve an update and here it is.

As of last Friday, I (or Tom, in a couple of instances) have shipped 74 of 96 items, most of them cars, but not all of them.

Just a couple-three US winning bidders to take care of...

The rest are the cars won by the overseas winners, and as I requested earlier, they needed to be a little more patient because of the extra steps needed to get their cars to them.

Good things are coming though!

• slotbaker, Samiam, olescratch and 2 others like this

Gregory Wells

#12 Uglobe

Uglobe

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

Greg,

Received my four cars. Perfectly wrapped, no damage. Waiting now for David Reed to get his track built. Haven't raced since mid-'60s.

We all appreciate what you have done. Thank you,

Steve
Steven Weekley

#13 Uglobe

Uglobe

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:17 PM

Greg, just the cars to some friends, brought back great memories to them, and how huge slot cars were in the '60s.
Steven Weekley

Electric Dreams Online Shop