• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:24 AM

Plus there are RAM replacement arms popping up on ebay  for either Ram or Pittmans. just scored one !

Paul Bass

#27 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:57 PM

Well, the only way to find out if there is any interest in a retro drag racing group is to do something. Build a car, buy one

off the internet, push the local track owner to stock some parts. But if everyone stands around twiddling their thumbs, it

will not happen. The Manta Ray class got started because a few old timers brought cars to the track. Even retro racing

got it's start because a few people built cars.

#28 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Well, the only way to find out if there is any interest in a retro drag racing group is to do something. Build a car, buy one

off the internet, push the local track owner to stock some parts. But if everyone stands around twiddling their thumbs, it

will not happen. The Manta Ray class got started because a few old timers brought cars to the track. Even retro racing

We are already doing that 

• SlotStox#53 and Tom Katsanis like this
Paul Bass

#29 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

Plus there are RAM replacement arms popping up on ebay  for either Ram or Pittmans. just scored one !

I've been doing a lot of research on these vintage rails. I read in a slotblog thread about that arm. That they're supposed to be fast. So I had my proxy bidder set to bid on that auction, but it didn't work!  :dash2:  But hey, at least you got it! :good:

Phil Smith ® ™

#30 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:30 PM

We are already doing that 

We certainly are! 4 years strong and heaps of fun messing with these cool padlock motors :D

If our group of mad Proxy peeps were all in the same area and had a raceway with a strip I know we'd be having a vintage dragster race series without question.

Would totally be up for tearing up the strip with these padlock warriors every week :heart:
  • hiline2 likes this

#31 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

I haven't been to a slot car track in at least 10 years. One after another life event has kept me from getting back into it. That hasn't stopped me from periodically going on an eBay slot car buying spree though. And from having several eBay slot car searches set up.

Anyway, I'm not really in a position to get anything going at the local track. The only people I know there are a few of the road course guys.

PS: Where do you race, Paul B?

• hiline2 likes this

Phil Smith ® ™

#32 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

If you know Chris Tanner , Ive spent time in his garage on the track there. did visit the track over in Dallas area a while back but when it comes to Drag racing all I have is track to lay down for testing

Paul Bass

#33 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:42 PM

I recognize Chris' name from the old Texas forum, but I don't know him.

Like I said, the vintage padlock rails are what's really appealing to me. And I could enjoy just building one or more. Once I have one I might just ship it out to one of the proxy races and not even bother racing it myself.

Phil Smith ® ™

#34 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:49 AM

I recognize Chris' name from the old Texas forum, but I don't know him.

Like I said, the vintage padlock rails are what's really appealing to me. And I could enjoy just building one or more. Once I have one I might just ship it out to one of the proxy races and not even bother racing it myself.

Build one or build many just please enter our vintage drag proxy next year. The more the merrier :D

Parts are available on evilpay quite often and others are easily found with some searching. Motors are easy enough to work on and it's amazing how much FUN Proxy racing can be!

The team has entered 3 Annual races out of the 4 held and as yet I haven't raced any of my cars myself.

Any questions please ask!
  • boxerdog and Tom Katsanis like this

#35 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:21 AM

Paul, I do have a question. Are the proxy rules posted somewhere? I've never built a drag car and have no idea what's required.

Phil Smith ® ™

#36 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

Yes, they were posted here I think (ill look and make a link) but also over on the DC Punk Forum too

here is link to the 2017 rules

http://dc-punk.freef...017-rules-final

found them here too

http://slotblog.net/...nd-rails-proxy/

Paul Bass

#37 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Thanks. I've been perusing DC Punk the last couple of days. Lots of good info!

So far I have the DC-84-6 in hand and 2 R-Geo repop rail chassis' on order. What wheels/tires, axles and gears do I need to get? What's the max width? Do I need narrower than normal length axles? 

Phil Smith ® ™

#38 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hey Phil how are you some of the guys are just running modern rear tires thats what I'm putting on my car I'm currently building with 3/32 rear axle & modern O ring fronts if you get stuck for original style fronts pm me I know where some are for reasonable money but a wanted ad on Dc-punk will probably get you a lot of what your after.
With the rears if you want somthing that works & is traditional take a look at Bills Cub Tire post over on Dc punk it's what I'm going to look at doing on some of my cars.
As for gears the weldun 64p are probably the best you want maybe between a 2.5 to 1 to a 3 to 1 ratio you will need a large spur gear in the 60 to 70 tooth count & a pinion in the 20 tooth range Professer Motor has some spurs available or there are some on ebay if you have trouble finding a pinion you can use an r/c one for a 1/8 shaft.
Most of these gears & tires are to suit a 1/8 axle I hope I have been some help.
Tom.
  • hiline2 likes this

#39 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

Check this link out, it shows lots of the cars in last races.

http://slotblog.net/...nspection-line/

Tires, some are using new stuff , either 1/8th  or 3/32 axles. just depends on what you want and have in your box

some of us using vintage foams re ground and shaped

gears: can be welduns 64p or anything you got in 48p like trhe old cox spurs etc and matching pinions.

In the old vintage motors dont be afriad to ask , you see we got some of the GREAT vintage and padlock experts to help

probably the only hard rule is guide flag, its gotta be black or grey to trip sensors.

the repop rail frames are great and surprisingly lots of vintage stuff does appear too , just depends what you wanna spend there

BEST over all we just having fun !

• Pitt Man, boxerdog, Geary Carrier and 1 other like this
Paul Bass

#40 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:59 PM

I think I need to take it one step at a time, because my head is about to explode. ;)

Let's start with axles. I was thinking I needed to get threaded vintage axles. But from what everyone has told me, I guess it would make more sense to go with 3/32" axles, to make it easier to get spur gears and tires? 

Phil Smith ® ™

#41 Tom Katsanis

Tom Katsanis

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:34 AM

Hey Phil yeah sorry for the influx of advice If you want to keep it traditional go with 1/8 axles all the old gears available are 1/8 we just use the parma sleeve for 3/32 & I'm using 3/32 because thats what my modern wheels use (ProTrack wheels are in 1/8 I just used jds because I like the cragar 5spokes).
You can use just some 1/8 set screw hubs on the back & fit them with some german rubber off an r/c aeroplane like the cub tires Bill is using for some of his cars & get them trued to size.
Most all the vintage frnts are 1/8 the k&b chassis is setup for 1/8 with a 1/4 inch hole for the rear bearings & a 1/8 hole for the fronts.
Tom

#42 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

you can do either, there are 1/8th axle (non treaded) all over ebay and other sources or go 3/32 similarly.

There are small 3/32 to 1/8th converter brass pieces that let you use 1/8th weldun gears or grub wheels on 3/32 axle

spur gears are in both sizes. Weldun are 1/8 but the little brass fitting lets you use them on 3/32 axles

you can go threaded or grub wheel axles in 1/8th. the are modern protrack and parma tire/wheel combos in both , th 1/8th are just limited more but again all can be found on ebay easily.

If your into real scratch building on tires the post on cub tires and all is great but for a start there is enuff choice in new tire/wheel rubber, or if you want we can discuss some vintage rubber tires/wheels I have that can be easily made ready for racing.

• Tom Katsanis likes this
Paul Bass

Electric Dreams Online Shop