13 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,235 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

I swear I posted this some years ago here at Slotblog, but I be damned if I can find it.

I do know PdL objected to the advice, but if it is what the SAE recommends, I think it may be one of those rare times when he's wrong! I know I have adjusted my mirrors in exactly this way for at least a decade and it works as described.

Give this method a try and see what you think.

• Half Fast likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Alan Dodson

Alan Dodson

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:14 PM

Greg, I started adjusting my mirrors like they say in the video about seven or eight years ago, and it really works! I tell all my friends about it, but most of them won't even try it. The few that have tried it thank me for telling them. It takes a little getting used to, but it's worth it.

A lot of cars any more are difficult to see in the typical blind spots, and this method lets you see them easily. 

• Cheater likes this

#3 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,843 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:01 PM

Been doing it that way for 47 years, and this is news to y'all? :shok:

Why would anyone point all 3 mirrors at the same spot - to have 3 images in case one of them is lying? :laugh2:

I know what you mean, Greg, sorry for my condescending attitude :give_rose:

Most people don't know how to use the night time adjustment on the rear view mirror either.

Daytime it aims straight back; night the lever is pulled toward you to aim it at the inside of the interior roof.

My slot co-driver always gets it wrong, but as long as he keeps it in the slot I just keep my mouth shut ^_^

My (at-the time teenage) son backed into an elderly lady's car in a parking lot once.

My remark was "There are THREE MIRRORS on that car. USE THEM!"

Haven't heard of a single incident after that.

Thanks for posting that, Greg :)

Paul Wolcott

#4 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:09 PM

I like this method better.  :crazy:

• Racer36 likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#5 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

Condescend all you want, but I have been driving for 50 years and have never heard of this technique. I just tried it and it does seem to reduce the size of the blind spot.

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 23,235 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

Bill,

The cool thing about it is seeing the car in your center rearview mirror transition to one of your side mirrors (depending, of course, on which side it is passing you on), with partial views of the same car in both mirrors for a short time.

Let us know if you don't feel the same way after trying this adjusting technique for a while.

I have a cousin, who is actually an intelligent guy in many ways, who would always adjust his side mirrors to point down at his rear tires, for what reason I can't recall. Took me forever to make him understand how much visual "info" he was missing doing it that way and how vulnerable he was making himself to cars that were overtaking him.

• Half Fast likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 Zippity

Zippity

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

Plenty of food for thought there, Greg.  :)

Thanks for posting.

Ron Thornton

#8 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:04 AM

Been doing it this way for a long time. Of course, when I started driving, RH mirrors were unknown and a left side mirror was typically an option. My first experience with good rear vision involved dual convex fender mirrors like this:

gallery_99_85_34208.jpg

(1953 Sunbeam Talbot Mk II)

EM

Alan Schwartz

#9 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 13,843 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

Cheater has a Sunbeam in his garage.  :sun_bespectacled:

Paul Wolcott

#10 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

Actually, the real fix is to install a Winklemann mirror. I use them in all the race cars. It allows a full panoramic view behind you. 

The Brits regularly mounted side mirrors on top of the wings (fenders). Generally, they are of no use that far away. Plus they

are usually small and round, which adds to the problem.  

#11 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

The Brits regularly mounted side mirrors on top of the wings (fenders). Generally, they are of no use that far away. Plus they are usually small and round, which adds to the problem.

Must disagree - I found them to be quite useful - had the same set-up on a Jag and a Healey. Of course, in those days, I drove faster so overtaking cars were less of a problem. 

BTW, for many years, Japanese law mandated this type of mirror on Tokyo taxis.

EM

Alan Schwartz

#12 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

I have a 100/4, and the side mirrors are useless. As I said, they are too far away. Plus they vibrate so much everything is blurred.

The plan, while I am doing the current rebuild, is to replace them with Raydots, which will look right and befar more usefull. 

#13 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

This makes a lot of sense, but my car has the additional convex mirror on the side mirrors. At least in my opinion, it makes it unnecessary to set your mirrors up that way. I can a very wide field in the convex mirror.

Phil Smith ® ™

#14 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:08 PM

Well, when I was in the AHCA, this was a huge complaint with the car owners. I don't know of anyone who tried the convex, wide angle style, but it might have helped the problem. Most everyone used Raydots mounted on the doors.

The main reason members did not change the mirrors was for concours competition, something that Healey owners
seem to prefer to driving events. I don't have any problem with straying from originality, since my car was a race car in the '50s and early '60s and will never be original again.

I am changing the cam-and-peg steering to a rack-and-pinion from an E-Type, and the front suspension to one from a 3000 with disc brakes. I'll use side by side master cyls with a bias bar to balance things front to rear. I would also like to get rid of the Armstrong shocks, but I need to get the front end on first.

Electric Dreams Online Shop