• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chasbeeman

chasbeeman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

Can anyone tell me some handling tips for the 4.5 FCR using a plastic model body for the pony stock class? I have never raced one before and could use some tips on how to set it up. Like bracing and ridged or loose body mounting? Thanks in advance for your consideration and any info related!

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
Charles Beeman

#2 chasbeeman

chasbeeman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

Will be club raced on short tracks with some flat and a few with banked turns just to be specific.

Charles Beeman

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

If bracing is allowed, only run one brace from top of motor mount to one axle upright. Use .047". If you use the front motor brace, enlarge the hole a bit to allow the endbell to move a little in it. This gives you some crash protection but still allows the chassis to flex.

Mount the body loose. And only glue the front and rear glass at the top to allow max. body flex. Same with hood. Glue front only. Just keep some tape handy for quick repairs. My bodies always broke one front roof pillar during the race. :pardon:  Cut away as much plastic as possible or legal from body. Mount your interior as low as possible. 

I make an axle spacer to fit behind the crown gear so I won't lose my gear mesh in a bad wreck. 

Pick a tire that has less grip so rear slides out rather than barrel rolling. And weight is your friend.

Good luck and good racing. :victory:

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#4 chasbeeman

chasbeeman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:12 PM

If bracing is allowed, only run one brace from top of motor mount to one axle upright. Use .047". If you use the front motor brace, enlarge the hole a bit to allow the endbell to move a little in it. This gives you some crash protection but still allows the chassis to flex.

Mount the body loose. And only glue the front and rear glass at the top to allow max. body flex. Same with hood. Glue front only. Just keep some tape handy for quick repairs. My bodies always broke one front roof pillar during the race. :pardon:  Cut away as much plastic as possible or legal from body. Mount your interior as low as possible. 

I make an axle spacer to fit behind the crown gear so I won't lose my gear mesh in a bad wreck. 

Pick a tire that has less grip so rear slides out rather than barrel rolling. And weight is your friend.

Good luck and good racing. :victory:

Thanks Sam, by mounting loose do you mean pin tubes or Velcro?

Charles Beeman

#5 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

Our rules required hook 'n loop. So I stretched the body so it just held on when car was picked up by body. And I used four small strips, not down the entire length. If pin tubes are allowed make the body holes slightly bigger than pins. And don't push the pins hard against the body. Leave some room for play.

Can you post a link to the rules?

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#6 chasbeeman

chasbeeman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

Our rules required hook 'n loop. So I stretched the body so it just held on when car was picked up by body. And I used four small strips, not down the entire length. If pin tubes are allowed make the body holes slightly bigger than pins. And don't push the pins hard against the body. Leave some room for play.

Can you post a link to the rules?

Here is a screen shot fc691fb2a8be203abc3a56a72b8afb4c.jpg

Charles Beeman

Electric Dreams Online Shop