3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert11

Robert11

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:52 AM

Hello,

Thanks for previous help; much appreciated.

Know very little about slot cars, but am learning.

Lots of fun.

I'm a Grandpa trying to help Grandson in getting

his slot cars "functional".

He has a set with the following info., but it apparently is not one

of the major brands:

He has a two car slot racing setup:

The hand Controller says:

Midwood Brands

Kidztech Toys

Made in China

And, on the battery pack it says (takes eight 1.5 volt batteries=12 V):

Gear G Maxx

Slot Racing

1:43 Track

Questions:

a. The LED headlights are apparently blown.

What is the normal operating voltage for these really, really small LED's ?

There does appear to be a resistor in the circuit, which I assume drops the voltage from

the Controller battery pack (12 V) to something suitable for the LED's.

I may have truly blown them, as I put 9V across them thinking this was a reasonable voltage.

Big flash, then nothing !  Thoughts ?

What do they normally like to see, probably ?

b. I am not, yet, familiar with where the best sources for purchasing parts like this are.

Looking for some place reputable, with a big stock, and reasonable prices and shipping.

Might you please suggest one or two outfits for me to look at their web site ?

I also need some of the Braid that contacts the rails.

BTW:  I looked at You Tube, but couldn't find, surprisingly, a really good video, or pictures, of

what the braid is supposed to look like once installed (how it lays against the car bottom ?)

Could you point me to some, please ?

Again, thanks for help,

Bob

#2 Mattb

Mattb

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

I don't think you will find much help here for the race set you have.   It's not a known brand to most of us,unless it a different manufacturer than  the names you allready mentioned.    You might try your question on the Home Racing World forum. There may be more guys there that  could answer your questions.   There are a few guys  that play with 1/43 scale cars and sets on that forum..

Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#3 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:05 AM

LED:  Radio Shack HAS been a good source for LED information and parts.  Part of the nature of LEDs is that they MUST be powered within their operating range or - yup - they pop.  The fact that the proper voltage required varies is a big issue in fitting the right resistor to operated.  Each color output requires different voltages.  Ohms Law is the formula and the RS packages tell you the values for the ones you buy.  I seem to recall 'Slot Car Corner' has You Tube LED Tutorials.   LED operating voltages from 2 - 4 volts DC...not much.  Check Allied Electronics, Newark, Mouser, or other electronic wholesalers.

New xmas light strings are using LEDs replacing the filament bulbs of the past few years.   A $5 string gives you a lot of cheap failures to find a usable operating range.

1/43 scale slot cars:  Fairly new size of cars that seem to be safer than the smaller HO sets  for (under 12) smaller kids.  While HO and the larger 1/32 sets have replacement parts, the 1/43 size are marketed as throw away cars with no marketed repair parts that I have seen... even from the 'name brands' of Carrera, Scalextric, and SCX.  The name brand cars should all be compatible on your track but I do not know if any of the brands have track parts that fit together. 

I use a parts source called 'American Science and Surplus' in my area for random electrical and mechanical parts like DC power supplies to work with small amp draw application like you need.  They do mail order and should have a web site.  Edmund Scientific is another store I have heard of.

Adjust the voltage based on kids age and responsibility level.  9 years old/9 volts.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#4 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:15 AM

BRAID on the cars:  Many of the 1/32 and 1/43 size cars use very small braid.  The Ninco and Slot-it type straight braid should work unless yours has some crimped metal on it..  Many of us use a spool of 'solder wick' to make small braids.  Sometimes you need to soak it in alcohol to melt away the solder flux if you cannot find the 'no flux solder wick'.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

Electric Dreams Online Shop