• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vdel11

vdel11

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

I decided to get back into racing and I have always built my chassis from scratch or kits. The scratch built and kits were hit or miss more often miss on handling, I just never could figure out how to set a chassis up so I just went with what I made. I have watched, read, studied all the tutorials and the outcome was always mediocre at best. I would like to purchase a chassis to run on Tom Thumbs King track that would be consistent with no evil traits.  My problem is i.e: .if  I have a chassis made I will at some point take it apart and probably ruin the benefits of having a built chassis. I have always had a problem of wanting to take everything apart.

So what should I do buy or build?

I just thought of something else I have three or four kits that are semi assembled or complete can someone use these as a starting point for a build or are the new chassis so much better than 5 yr old chassis tech?

Vince Del Viscio

#2 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

I recommend that you buy a new or used chassis that is well proven to be able to win or at least be competitive on the tracks that you will be racing on. Check over the various chassis on Slotblog under "scratch built chassis". Then when the inspiration hits you, build your own chassis.

• elvis44102 likes this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#3 TG Racing

TG Racing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:14 AM

Vince,  I don't think we've met yet.  I hope to meet you soon at an ORS race!  I too build (tinker) with chassis.  Give Josh Crutchfield a call.  You can't beat the quality or price!

• Matt Sheldon and CoastalAngler1 like this
Thom Greene

#4 vdel11

vdel11

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

thank you all

Vince Del Viscio

#5 Mr. Hollywood

Mr. Hollywood

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

Vince you also might want to consider a Bud Bartos car or a Cap Henry car. Both have built winners for that track. Cap has a website on here in building cars  and Bud's cars are on slotblog regularly. In fact right now and on ebay.

Joseph Gerencser

#6 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

Look at the race reports from the various racing orgs. You will just about always see a Bartos, Crutchfield, or Tony P. built chassis on at least one of the podium spots for coupe and Can Am. Most noteably is thr JK x25 chassis.

If you decide to build your own coupe/Can Am chassis I would recommend a R-geo Dragon Slayer 7, JK X25, or a Dominator Jackal (shameless plug lol).

FB_IMG_1513813037213.jpg

FB_IMG_1513812998941.jpg
  • boxerdog and TG Racing like this

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo

Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

Electric Dreams Online Shop