#1 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

Hi guys, 

Just picked this up from a guy in France who is selling his father's collection... a very early Strombecker set: he gave the date as 1961, because there's a November 1961 clipping with a Strombecker ad from a Sports Illustrated magazine, but the cars in that ad look more modern than the ones in this set, which may even be from 1960 (there's a long thread on Strombecker history in SlotForum for a little help...). 

The cars are two Jaguar D Types, with gray plastic chassis and front-mounted Kako 3-volt motors with shaft extension. Nice simulated wire wheels, two-piece I think, and rubber tires. No headlight covers or windshields on the cars, but not sure if they came like that (I believe they did). There's a nice full torso driver figure, with separate arms. Altho inside the box is printed "Use any transformer 6 V maximum", there's a 6 V Strombecker transformer with this set, and push button controls. The cars in the ad are advertised as having 12V motors, which is why I think they're later. The track is made with copper conductors, instead of the later usual aluminum rails. 

Odd to find this kind of thing in France, but the seller said his father bought from all over. 

Here are a few pix. 

Don 

PS: having a problem with direct loading - please hold for a commercial break... 

#2 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:07 PM

Strombecker set-5.jpg

Strombecker set-4.jpg

• Old Pilot and strummer like this

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Strombecker set-1.jpg

Strombecker set-3.jpg

Strombecker set-2.jpg

• slotbaker, Old Pilot, Tom Katsanis and 1 other like this

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:39 PM

Very nice Don.

Nice to see that the box survived after almost 60 years.

I've had hundreds of Strombecker cars over the years and they made so many variations.

These are very early with the separate driver. Nicer cars in my opinion.  

I've never had one with that particular motor.

Also, the white Jag is scarce in my opinion. Don't think those were ever available in the U.S.

That may also explain that "battery" type motor.

Glad there are whack jobs like me and you to preserve these artifacts  :laugh2:

• strummer likes this

Joe Lupo

#5 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:06 PM

Thanks Joe - yep, good thing there are a few of us to pay attention! 

This is strictly a Made in USA set: Strombecker didn't set up shop in France till 64 or so. It was a French collector who bought this from the States I assume... 

Have found a few more of these car (which I never knew existed at the time), and you're right about all the variants: there were dozens! And it seems these weren't even the earliest of the Strombecker 1/32 cars... (their first set was in fact with two of their 1/24 motorized models, adapted for slot racing, with these same motors). 

If you want to get into the arcana of the thing, and have a few hours one long snowy evening...

http://www.slotforum...ory#entry667054

A couple more of the early Strommies: 

Jaguar%20D%20types%20132%20chassis_zpsaf

Jaguar%20D%20types%20132_zpscxcbw4y9.jpg

• strummer likes this

#6 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Don, while I'm not an expert on Strom, the first set I had was around 62/63 with the big gray can motors.   I'm sure the cars you have are earlier than that.   Those look like the same motors they put in their motorized model kits that were made in 61 or maybe even 60.    I bet your set is all original.   The copper rails were first, then the aluminum rails before they finally went to steel.     Your  letter arrived OK.

mb

Matt Bishop

#7 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

This set predates the one I had.  Mine was probably 1963 or 1964 with the same front mounted motor and push button controllers that would eventually crack on the back from squeezing too hard. My set had a Jag and a Ferrari Testa Rossa.  I really liked the Scalectrix cars better for quality and style but the Strombeckers were faster and less expensive.

Fred Correnti

#8 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

Yep, date seems to be late 60 or early/mid 61. They were actually predated by similar cars, but with a white plastic chassis and a red Mabuchi motor with long shaft (and the earliest 1/24 sets) - not easy to find any of those! 

Fred, surprised to hear that in 63 or 64 they still used push button controllers and front mounted motors - thought they were long gone by then! Matt, were your gray 15R motors with long or short shaft? 

Don 

#9 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

My set, which came in a box with an artists rendering of a Ferrari and Jag racing, was definitely push button, front mounted motor type. Those push button controllers are what made me the exceptional driver I am today!  I added more track, got a Maserati and Cooper F1 and plunger controllers........

Fred Correnti

#10 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:07 PM

Don, I don't remember if my cars were  the long shaft motors or short shaft.   I do remember the long shaft motored cars got no traction at all on either my set or a friends set.   I just remember that I never had strom cars that would run good.    

You mentioned 1/24 sets above with the red Mabuchi motor, I assume this was the long can like the Kemtron Red Bomb.   I don't remember that.   The earliest 1/24 strom I know of had the typical brass or black chassis and the strom can style motor. 

When I first picked up a Monogram set in the 80's, I couldn't believe the difference in quality between it and the Strom I was familiar with,.   Then I stumbled on an Aurora A-Jet set and couldn't believe how nice it was.

mb

• strummer likes this

Matt Bishop

#11 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

My cars had long shaft gray colored Mabuchi type motors.

Fred Correnti

#12 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

Matt, the first Strommie sets just used a couple of their motorized 1/24 cars with the little Kako motor, and a steering/guide conversion unit on the front - they must have tooled up very quickly just to get something in the store! 

It was the first 1/32 cars, right after that and before mine, that had the red Mabuchi cans with long shafts...

Don 

Electric Dreams Online Shop