2 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

Recently, on a thread about FT36D drag motors, Joe Lupo said something about not getting why the FT36D is still popular, when a 26D is a better choice.  Well Joe...here you go!

IMG_2399.JPG

This started out as your typical Classic 26D,  The end bell got swapped for a Champion, with the hoods (36D sized "Pentroof" ones here for better heat dissipation) soldered, post sleeves, fiber washers under the screws, and the screws changed-out for socket heads.

The magnets are solid neos, "stoopid-strong" that were cut down lengthwise to match the stock Mabuchi magnets, a real PITA.  The Mabuchi junk ball bearing was removed, an adapter turned on the lathe and soldered-in to the can, and a 2mmx5mm "actual" ball bearing epoxied-in to the adapter.  To not use up any more tail space than necessary in the short 26D can, the inside of the adapter was recessed to allow the bearing to sit slightly below flush.

On the outside, the adapter sits flush to the can end, and there's still some bearing sitting "proud" of the whole shebang.  I just have to cut-in two can mounting holes before painting, but the setup is pretty much "there".

IMG_2400.JPG

• Pablo, C. J. Bupgoo, Geary Carrier and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#2 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

Looks awesome. 

You must have a steady hand getting that bearing in the can without gumming up the works with excess epoxy  :dash2:

The magnets look trick.

Have you ever done any real world tests with both style magnets? Neos and OEM's?

Do they "sound" stronger with the neos?

Not to question your knowledge of course.

Many times more is not better in my experience.

Of course I am talking through my *** a little here as my knowledge is limited regarding magnet strength in relation to real world performance.

What have you found.

• havlicek likes this

Joe Lupo

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

Looks awesome. 

You must have a steady hand getting that bearing in the can without gumming up the works with excess epoxy  :dash2:

The magnets look trick.

Have you ever done any real world tests with both style magnets? Neos and OEM's?

Do they "sound" stronger with the neos?

Not to question your knowledge of course.

Many times more is not better in my experience.

Of course I am talking through my *** a little here as my knowledge is limited regarding magnet strength in relation to real world performance.

What have you found.

Hi Joe,

I have a "method" of installing the bearings with epoxy.  I have come close to getting epoxy where I don't want it a couple of times, but nothing catastrophic :)  

On the whole magnet deal, it seems that there's a thing in slots where people believe that more magnet is better.  That's only true to a certain extent.  When motors with mild winds were being sold with this general type magnet, there is no doubt in my mind that the motors suffered and are magnet-bound.  I even think that the poly neos are a little beyond the typical 65/30 mini can motor, when the ceramics are really strong...plenty strong enough, around "Arco" strength or better in a much smaller package.  Magnets like these need a heckuva lot of armature, and even with such an armature, the complete motor will need a LOT of amps.  Such a motor drawing that much current and dissipating excess unused energy as heat (ie: inefficiency) will be getting warm for sure, so the natural use here would be for drags.  Also, with drag enthusiasts having a penchant for running these motors at elevated voltages, things can get even more critical.  Still, there's so much magnet here that I'm going to keep the air-gap generous.  There's no sense pouring gasoline on a fire.  :D

John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop