• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

Lots of talk and opinions on these motors these days. 

It got me thinking in the spirit of slot racing from the days of the '60's.  There have to be thousands of these motors that have either lived out their service life out in racing, have been set aside as not competitive, or the owners have moved on to other classes or just bought more motors. 

What about a second life for these motors?  How about re-building them just to see if it can be done and have something to run?  You know...like way back when... 

What over the counter end bells or end bell kits could be used with this can?  What modifications would be needed if any?

What over the counter armatures could be used as a low cost replacement or maybe even a hotter armature?  Before anyone says anything...yes...I know it would not be cost effective.  The idea is to re-build something so it is up and running again.  Put it in a car and make it go as fast as it can and have some fun and most importantly the satisfaction in just doing that.

For the more daring "back the basics" people how about taking the old arm out of the can, strip the wire, install a new comm, and wind their own ala John H. who has committed himself to resurrecting inanimate slot racing motors back to life. Sources for comms?  Source for static balancer?  Recommendations for armature epoxy.  Winding techniques. (I still have my LaGanke crank.)  Comm tieing materials.

I think I covered everything, but maybe not.  Feel free to add to the list.

This post is NOT intended to add fuel to the current controversy nor is it remotely a suggestion of an additional class or variation of an existing class.  It's an effort to take a "retro" look at what was done as a matter of course back in the day.  At best we do some things that were done in the early days all the time or at worst saving some motors from a landfill.  The side effect, for those that choose to give it a try, you might find out it is something new, interesting, and fun.  Really there is nothing to lose.

Looking forward  to hearing the parts resources and observations in general.

#2 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:36 AM

I built a custom from a hawk7. It ran great but was too much work.

Guy has it now. Maybe he can post pics?

Used a proslot C can endbell I turned down and c can magnets.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:47 AM

John has been doing these up for a while now. Here is just one....

http://slotblog.net/...etter-fk-motor/

• Steve Deiters and SlotStox#53 like this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#4 YetiSRP

YetiSRP

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

Funny you should bring up all of this, Steve...

Lately, I've gotten kinda' tired of all the drama going on in slots right now, over a variety of things. So I stepped back a little and asked myself; 'Self, ya' like the slot cars, don't ya? What do you want to do with the slot cars?'

So I stepped waaaayyyy back and have started building some frames kinda' like I used to build decades ago. I've had to make adaptations due to lack of original style pieces/parts (a LOT of people blew me off when I went asking about leftover drop arms) but I've already built around a half dozen different styles, all not legal for nuthin' and going to use those bodies about which I posted a short while back.

But I keep wondering what kind of motors I was going to use. So I also started wondering 'whatever happened to all those leftover 'C' cans from Mura and Champion'. I actually miss the days when you would rework a motor to some unearthly hour of the night, cram it into your chassis du jour and slap a pair of Fresh Cuts on the thing and go racing---also armed with some bottles of Lotion or Stick-It.

I been considering the Retro Hawk 6 as an alternative. Anyone have any opinions of that motor and could recommend gearing?

• Samiam and Jesse Gonzales like this
Jim Bandes

#5 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

I been considering the Retro Hawk 6 as an alternative. Anyone have any opinions of that motor and could recommend gearing?

no such animal
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#6 YetiSRP

YetiSRP

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

Hawk 6.

Jim Bandes

#7 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,271 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

With 3D printing someone could make an endbell to fit these motors.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It's the same when you are stupid.

NF-UE

#8 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

Source the RH original endbell, source the original armature.
Do a custom balance and comm cut.
There you go, a blueprinted motor
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

#9 Rob Voska

Rob Voska

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

Easy to modify the end bell in a lathe as the recess is round.  Lots of the 4002 style motors WITH STICKERS in the garbage cans.  Pull them out, cut com & put back together. 

Remember "a sticker don't make a motor legal".

• race301 and Steve Deiters like this

#10 mjsh

mjsh

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

Hey Jim!

Two interesting motors to consider. Blueprinted hawk from Alpha ,arm epoxied, cut and balanced 25.00. PS new GP. 12 , c can size lighter than a falcon, 38.00 .

Michael Shepard

Electric Dreams Online Shop