2 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

I was not sure if I should even reccomend a machine, fearing people would jump on with suggestions on buying a Taig, Sherline or finding a used Bridgeport!

These are all fine machines and all support milling steel which the gantry type will struggle with. That being said I will reccomend a company that has caught my eye, Carbide 3D Great for small projects like slot cars!

$2499
http://carbide3d.com/nomad/detail/

https://youtu.be/i9MuoYnzy4o

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#2 Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

Ecurie Martini

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

It all depends on what you need.  Slot cars are not high precision machines.  I know I can't work to a 0.0005" spec.  That said, a comparison of a small traditional mill with the gantry style unit referenced above is interesting:

Resolution:  Carbide 3d  0.0005"    Taig  0.000125"   a 4 fold difference

Mechanical Repeatability:   Carbide 3d  0.0015"   Taig 0.0005"   3 fold difference

At first reading, these differences appear to be large but, looking for example at the repeatability spec,  what part of a slot car, with the possible exception of the bearings, will be affected by being "off" 0.001"?

EM

Alan Schwartz

#3 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

And you buy bearings. Plus I guarantee these numbers mean little compared to the errors you introduce with multiple setups and bad practices. I will gladly continue along my path and show everyone how I get on.

As always the proof is in the results. A machine is only as good as its operator. Any machine that makes it easier on the operator is bound to get better results. Or at least used more often.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

Electric Dreams Online Shop