• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

Brian Xpro Retro East Member

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

My New Years resolution......In 2018 I plan on doing as much slot car racing as possible.Why ,because I can and will due to the fact that I love to race and build these cars .I currently race Retros with Noose and the gang of Retro East and I race at my home raceway of Port Jeff Raceway on a weekly basis and I also race the home track oval circuit. I do a lot of racing already and I hope to do even more.I race to win but when I don't win there is only one person I blame and that is myself.I don't go home after a bad day at the races and claim its the other racers that caused my failure,even if they did, because I am controlling my car and I should understand how to pass or get around the other cars as needed.

My cars and equipment are completely built by me ,from the frame to the body mounting and painting to the motor break in and setup of the chassis and tires and the driving.Not too many racers run  their whole program.......I don't post a whole lot of topics but when I do it's usually on the positive note.I've been racing since the hayday of slotcars and experienced the decline of the late 60's. It killed me to see that happen.So to those of you that weren't around back then, don't be so bashing of our great hobby.You can't get it back once its gone.Everyone try to get along and stop fighting.Time will heal our problems not fighting... There are plenty of older parts out there if the current ones aren't working out for you...Happy New Year!!!!!.........X-pro

• Ramcatlarry, DE38, Half Fast and 9 others like this

#2 Dominator

Dominator

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:02 PM

Well said Brian. See you Saturday my friend.
  • crazyphysicsteacher and Brian Cochrane like this

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo

Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#3 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

Bazinga!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • crazyphysicsteacher and Brian Cochrane like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#4 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:57 PM

2017 has been an interesting year, much like that past few years.  Racers come, some stay and others leave.  For me, slot racing is more than a hobby.  It goes back to 1964 when my first encounter at a track in Whittier, Ca left a   deep impression, a bonding.  I keep coming back, so its more like a compulsion.

For 2018,  I’m looking to 1st of all to  have fun in slot racing.  I enjoy building and racing, but I’m scaling back my chassis building.  There’s a lot of talented builders  to tap into and soldering fumes aren’t a good thing.   While there is a healthy competitive tension at race time,  each race result is a learning lesson whether it was a good or poor tire choice,  gearing, body choice or any number of setup dynamics.  I find if I’m totally laid back, ignoring the lap counter, I do well.  After all these are toy cars raced by mostly old guys  reliving some of the glory days. This year will be better.  I know it !

• Noose, NSwanberg, Tim Wilkins and 1 other like this
You can quote me.

-Mark

#5 crazyphysicsteacher

crazyphysicsteacher

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

Brian, same here. I build all my own motors, breakin my own sealed motors and put together my cars. I build my flexi cars, paint my bodies and am trying to have full scratch build retro cars. My only problem right now is finding a way to build rear brackets. I try to limit the variables and that is the way to find the win. I enjoy racing with those at my level, where ever that may lie and will always work to be better. I hope this is a great year.
PS, the better racers have stopped helping me. Think I may be getting faster.
  • Eddie Fleming likes this

Chris Wendel
Silver Side Down Racing
Silver Side Down Graphics

​The Race Place Retro Crew member

"Failure teaches way more than success. It shows what does not work and what to never do again, again..." 🙊🙈🙉  

#6 crazyphysicsteacher

crazyphysicsteacher

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

Happy new year to all and good luck at the next race.

Chris Wendel
Silver Side Down Racing
Silver Side Down Graphics

​The Race Place Retro Crew member

"Failure teaches way more than success. It shows what does not work and what to never do again, again..." 🙊🙈🙉  

#7 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

Brian Xpro Retro East Member

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

I hear ya Chris

#8 Gary Pershall

Gary Pershall

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

New Years resolution here , among others, is to get back and do some racing, I've had a love of slots since 1963 and raced at different levels, when track were around, when I could. The closest track that does retro racing, as far as I know, is Dallas Slot Cars in Garland, TX. Long drive from Yukon, OK. but have some parts ordered and am going to give it a shot. Also may try and sneak my slot boxes into our Airstream and visit some tracks around the country when we travel..

• MSwiss and Brian Cochrane like this

#9 JR10

JR10

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Id like to try and make 2018 my first attempt at a Retro East event. Also to have fun again like the old days.
  • Brian Cochrane likes this

Ken Vogel Jr.

#10 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

2018 will be a year of discovery for me as I play around with CNC and chassis building

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#11 eshorer

eshorer

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:07 AM

I feel like I'm all over the racing map: 1/32nd scale Farrout club with 13 tracks this year. In 1/24th scale at Buena Park Raceway I regularly race Hardbody on scratch built chassis, and I try to do Retro racing on the King and Flat track when I can. I've borrowed Flexi cars to race on occasion, and finally got one of my own. I'm always leaving a tool or three behind because of my scattered "program." Still, I just love racing, and never seem to tire of it. I'm hoping to go to Port Jefferson and meet up with some old friends, and make some new ones, this year. If I can pull it off, I'm going to do some racing in the UK this summer. I feel extremely fortunate to have rediscovered my teenage passion just as I was nearing retirement. Commercial racing may be at a lull, but in this urban setting of L.A., the club scene is very much alive and well. 

Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2018. Stay tuned and positive!

Eddie

• Mark Wampler, usadar and Brian Cochrane like this
Eddie (not so Fast anymore) Shorer
Team Boola (circa the '60s)

Electric Dreams Online Shop