• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

Brian Xpro Retro East Member

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

To turn fast lap times corner speed is a must. You need a fast motor on the straight aways  obviously, but  you need to go into the corners as fast as possible and carry your momentum through and exiting out of the corners.If you can't do that,you will be straining the motor which heats it up and eventually makes it get slower.

That is the difference between a fair driver a good driver and a great driver. A great driver's car can stay fast or even get faster as the race progresses. If you are racing on say a King track,going through the donut decently compared to fast can be the difference of a tenth of a second.So that would be a great spot to tweak on you car to get the best lap times.

Also,in the past year or so a popular thing to do was go from a 28 tooth crown gear to a 27 tooth.A 27 usually gives you more top end and less brakes and a 28 gives you less top end and more brakes.With the 27 tooth you carry more speed going into a turn but if you don't drive hard into a turn you are actually bogging the motor down and this will heat up the motor. One tooth difference sounds like no big deal but it can be a problem for some driving styles.

Another thing is tire hardness.The harder the tire the less roll resistance which will free up the motor and make it much faster speed wise. That is the biggest difference for most of the fastest guys. Track conditions and grip will determine how hard of a tire can be used.

Another key point to having a fast car is friction at the axles.The type bearings used. All bearings are not created equal,some are better than others.The front wheels you choose ,bearing or non bearing type.Some of my cars have bearing fronts and some have non bearing fronts,why? because each type weighs different.Bearing fronts are much heavier.Some of my chassis' won't handle as well with heavy front wheels. The bearing fronts give me my fastest cornering speed,but they cost the most. The bearings I use are $25 a pair.3 sets of these bearings equals $75 but if that's what it takes ,I spend for them.

The oil you use may be a factor. I tried all sorts of oil and different weight oils.There are so many slot car oils on the market and there are auto part store oils.Your choice of oil can be a problem whether it be synthetic,too thick too thin ect. If you are not sure ,try different brands and grades.I use very thin oil.I make sure to use very little on the end bell end.Thin oil and possibly thicker oil can and will pass through the endbell bushing and can get on the comm causing that black mush that kills motors.As the car is in a forward direction,the oil is going backwards into the endbell bushing.

Getting back to the axle bearings,I took an old needle oiler bottle and rinsed it clean with lighter fluid and put fresh lighter fluid in it.Before every race I put my cars on the power supply at like 2 volts and take my needle lighter fluid oiler and rinse out my rear bearings and the can bushing.I do not rinse the endbell bushing as to prevent the oil and lighter fluid from getting on the comm.....I wrote all of this because the other day a fellow racer that goes on the blog asked me a few questions and I thought I would share this stuff with all ....X-pro

• tonyp, Half Fast, Tim Neja and 6 others like this

#2 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Brian I understand perfectly.

Now if I could just get my old stiff fingers to cooperate I would be in business.

• Brian Cochrane likes this
Eddie Fleming

#3 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

:good:Brian-

When you talk, it pays to listen

Cheers

• Samiam and Brian Cochrane like this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#4 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

:good:Brian-

When you talk, it pays to listen

Brian is the E.F. Hutton of slots

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#5 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

Good information Brian-- and it speaks to the level of "preparation" you're willing to go through to ensure your car is completely prepared to win!! Other's should understand that level of prep is necessary to consistently be one of the "fast guys"!!

• Samiam and Brian Cochrane like this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#6 Brian Cochrane

Brian Cochrane

Brian Xpro Retro East Member

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Tim. Just trying to share to help the racing community.

Electric Dreams Online Shop