35 replies to this topic

#1 JK Products

JK Products

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

This is an update for the things we are working on and launching in 2018.

jk.p1.top.jpg

jk.p1.bot.jpg

jk.p2.top.jpg

jk.p2.bot.jpg

jk.p3.top.jpg

jk.p3.bot.jpg

(Note: The clickable links will not work in the above image of the PDF, but will work if you download the PDF below.)

Attached File  JKP 2018 Outlook.pdf   813.3KB   141 downloads

• Cheater, Mark Wampler, havlicek and 5 others like this
Tim Homola
JK Products

#2 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:40 AM

Tim,

With the handicap system, is the delayed start on only the first heat or all?

In the IROC race, how are the cars positioned for next heat?

Will the tire truer be AC or DC?

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#3 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

How do you "rotate the brushes" on a sealed motor?

Paul Wolcott

#4 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

My understanding, Paul, is have them rotated during manufacturing. In other words orient them the "correct" way instead of the way it has always been done by the Chinese.

• JimF, Tom Eatherly and Lee Palmer like this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 274-5150
Home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#5 JK Products

JK Products

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

Hi Sam,

Handicap countdown for all heats. I think we will probably move the new lane car to the last lane's track position. Planning to offer AC and DC. 

Hi Pablo,

Mike is correct, motor redesign and new tooling. 

Tim Homola
JK Products

#6 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Ohhh, I got it now.  :)

Paul Wolcott

#7 Gary Pershall

Gary Pershall

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

Very interesting. Hope you can fix the current motor problems and concerns and keep on innovating to help the sport grow. The digital body printing looks really cool...

#8 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Any lighter replacement steel or better aluminum pans for the Aeolos chassis coming? The current all steel chassis is heavier than your main competitors aluminum/steel chassis and the current aluminum pan is quite easily bent even though using it makes the Aeolos lighter the reliability in a race comes into question. Just wanted to know if anything was coming. 

• Wizard Of Iz likes this
Fred Younkin

#9 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the update.

I saw the cold/slow hot/fast issue last Tuesday night at Port Jeff to the tune of more than 0.2 sec a lap faster when the motor was hot.

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now.

The most dangerous form of ignorance is not knowing that you don't know anything!

#10 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

Planning to offer AC and DC.

Cool...

RIP, Malcolm Young.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#11 JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:01 PM

Tim,

A lot of good things coming from JK.

A tire truer around $99 to 125 would be great.

Getting the brush arcs to match the commutator would almost be like the second coming!!!

Thank you again for supporting the hobby/sport.

JJ

• SlowBeas, Steve Deiters, Tom Eatherly and 2 others like this
JJ TRADE MARK BANNER copy.jpg

John Chas Molnar

"Certified Newark Wise Guy since 1984" (retired)
"Certified Tony P Chassis God since 2007"
" Internationally Know Slot Car Racing Celebrity "
https://www.facebook...nchassisworks/#
Email me

#12 Wizard Of Iz

Wizard Of Iz

Slot Parrothead

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Any lighter replacement steel or better aluminum pans for the Aeolos chassis coming? The current all steel chassis is heavier than your main competitors aluminum/steel chassis and the current aluminum pan is quite easily bent even though using it makes the Aeolos lighter the reliability in a race comes into question. Just wanted to know if anything was coming. 

Amen!!! It’s s great chassis but I can’t afford the weight disadvantage.

More than one A Main driver has suggested to me that a lighter steel pan - perhaps .025" - would make the Aeolous a game changer.

As it is, I have disassembled my Aeolous chassis and have gone back to the X25/.025" combo.

• Danny Zona likes this

Rollin Isbell

#13 JK Products

JK Products

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Hi Fred,

We agree with your observations/criticisms and are working on it. When we tried higher strength aluminum pans, even with slow hydraulic pressing, we kept getting cracks on the uprights. I'll test some thinner center sections. Thanks for the input, Fred and Rollin. 

I'd sure like to get the motor, Bill. Can you hook me up?

Tim

Tim Homola
JK Products

#14 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

Thin pans are yesterday's news. A much much better option is to use the same thickness steel and reduce width of the sections much like what Mossetti did.

I'd like to see .045" or thicker flexis with very narrow rails and pans. They would be bulletproof.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#15 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

I would caution rotating the brushes so that radius in the "correct" direction. If the brush is not in nearly perfect alignment with the comm many other problems will present.
  • NSwanberg, DOCinCocoa and Racer36 like this
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. - Ronald Regan #40 (1911 - 2004)

David Parrotta

#16 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

Brushes produced with no radius would be a much safer option.

David Parrotta

#17 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

IMO flat-faced brushes would be worse than what we have now because of the amount of brush material that would need to be worn away to match the curvature of the comm.

Eddie Fleming

#18 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

As it is now you have way more material to wear through before the brush is seated.

Something that is not accounted for with the current orientation is the comm gets worn in a hourglass shape during the break-in process. This is absolutely not good for motor performance. If the brush was flat the comm would not get the hourglass shape.

David Parrotta

#19 stemmy

stemmy

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

Need to fix the JK controller issues also.

Blair Stem

#20 The Sawdust Man

The Sawdust Man

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:04 AM

Very happy to see that JK is working towards providing new products and is trying to fix old problems. I for one hope that 2018 is a great year for all of JK's product offerings!

• Cheater, Wizard Of Iz, SlowBeas and 9 others like this
Robert Manzitti

#21 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:51 AM

I agree wholeheartedly, Sawdust Man.

I was among the minority that was excited about JK's earlier efforts to offer direct pricing with commissions sent to raceways. Although that concept was abandoned, I think Tim continues to make attempts to please us racers while trying to grow his business.

IMHO, the only way we will continue to have products from which to choose is if someone (like Tim) has the guts to fix problems and change the current business model. If it were working well, we'd be seeing more suppliers – not fewer. I'm not smart enough to know what that model will be, but at least he's trying.

I hope 2018 brings much success to our cottage hobby, as well as suppliers and raceways. We need you.

• Cheater, DOCinCocoa, Samiam and 6 others like this
Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#22 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

You nailed that one, Jim.

• Cheater, SlowBeas and JK Products like this
Eddie Fleming

#23 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for taking a look at it Tim.  I think you would be best served by going with a .025 steel pan.  I say this mainly because of the design of the pan.  It would appear that the long outer legs (the ones touching the out riggers) of the pan are meant to allow some flex when the car is in the corner.  When racers tape the center and pans of this chassis I don't see them taping the outer legs only the inner legs and center.  One more thing, while aluminum flexes somewhat it usually doesn't return to it's original set, where as steel does.  It's not necessary that the chassis be lighter than the competition but just as light as the competition.  Taking away the weight advantage of the competition will go a long way in proving the actual viability of the design.  As Enzo Ferrari once said "weight is speed".

Fred Younkin

#24 gotboostedvr6

gotboostedvr6

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

Not enough weight and g forces for the pans to "flex" with the current pans. They tilt and slide.

David Parrotta

#25 The Sawdust Man

The Sawdust Man

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

I agree with all you said, Jim Beasley.

If it's true what many have said about the problems they have had in the unprofessional way they have been treated by JK, that is indeed a problem that Tim needs to address and fix.

But the last time I checked, we all bleed red, we all are humans, and we all makes mistakes. Perhaps Tim may feel in hindsight that he could have handled things in a better way, but that's not for me to judge. I will say that in the few dealings I've had with Tim he has been perfect! Totally professional. Completely fair, in fact went out the normal expectation of business protocol to take care of any problems I had.

And furthermore, just because he is having problems with one product in his line-up does not mean he shouldn't be working on other new and innovative products to allow his company to grow and prosper. I'm kinda amazed at some people who post they will never buy another JK product because of the whole motor issue. Jeez, if that's the way things work in this world, we all would be walking or riding horses again, as every manufacture of cars (ya know, Ford, GM VW, etc.) have had hundreds of recalls, or cars that explode when hit in the rear (remember the Ford Pinto problem?).

99% of the products I have purchased from JK are awesome. Keep up the good work, Tim!!

I do hope Tim finds and fixes the motor problem. And I personally know, respect, like, and consider my friends some of the people who have stated they have a problem dealing with Tim. I believe they are telling me the truth.

But life's a daily challenge. Pick your battles, people. Forgive, forget, and move on. I'm just grateful to be alive!

Regards,

Bob

• Cheater, Gene/ZR1, SlowBeas and 1 other like this
Robert Manzitti

Electric Dreams Online Shop