6 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

Sometimes it's a fine line between a motor worth putting the time into to save it from the trash, and one that goes for parts and trash.  Sometimes it depends on how cool the motor is when figuring the work :)  The Mura Green Can motor is one of those that I'm willing to go further on because...well...they're just so guldanged cool.  This one was pretty rough, but it had what looked like "good bones".  The can was pretty danged rough, and getting it in ship-shape meant milling and turning it (*not including getting the inside cleaned out!), as well as some tap-tap-tapping on a C can mandrel.  Getting all that done was enough to confirm that there was a motor in there just waiting to come out.  The end bell and magnets (*the proper long ones) will need a bunch of work, but the longest journey starts with but a single step.

IMG_2425.JPG

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Chris Stemman and 5 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 old & gray

old & gray

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

The can was pretty danged rough, and getting it in ship-shape meant milling and turning it (*not including getting the inside cleaned out!), as well as some tap-tap-tapping on a C can mandrel.  Getting all that done was enough to confirm that there was a motor in there just waiting to come out.  The end bell and magnets (*the proper long ones) will need a bunch of work, but the longest journey starts with but a single step.

John,

I look forward to seeing the result of this project as the work you have done is similar to what was occurring in the 1970's.

Although you probably wouldn't be recycling it, I'm curious what the armature was like when you started.

Bob Schlain

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

John,

I look forward to seeing the result of this project as the work you have done is similar to what was occurring in the 1970's.

Although you probably wouldn't be recycling it, I'm curious what the armature was like when you started.

Hi Bob,

The armature that was in there was a ProSlot.  It wasn't "valuable", and I've probably tossed some period arms that were, but this one was also heavily worn at the com.  I'll probably do something warmer any way, maybe even a double wind.

John Havlicek

#4 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

I got the end bell disassembled, cleaned everything up best as I could and, before reassembling, dyed it purple.  Having been white beforehand, and some of the crud simply not going-away, I figured it was a good candidate for dying.  Magnets got the cleanup treatment as well and will get a zap after painting and before final assembly.  This bad boy will live to fight another day!

IMG_2427.JPG

• Jairus, slotbaker, Jencar17 and 3 others like this
John Havlicek

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,083 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

Got some more done here.  The can bearing is installed, which allowed me to temporarily set the magnets and figure out how to space and build the arm, which allowed me to wind the arm.  :)  ***Speaking of the arm, because of how things worked out with this wind, I did a double #28awg reverse wound.  I think I can pretty much guarantee there aren't many (if any) of those floating around.  I know for sure it's the first time I ever did one.  Resistance is way down there, and these things (doubles) seem to always come out a little under the equivalent single.

IMG_2441.JPG

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Geary Carrier and 1 other like this
John Havlicek

#6 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

Another Jewel...

• havlicek likes this

Yes, to be sure, this is it...